What's new
What's new

Strange but cool old tapping machine.

yardbird

Titanium
I run across this on Instagram thought you guys might like to see it. Anyone seen this kind of tapping machine? The up down movement of the table meshes the drive mechanism also switching directions of the tap. New to me...

Login • Instagram

I don't know how to steel the video and post it here. I hope everyone will be able to see it by using the link?

Brent

20200810_052140.jpg
20200810_052114.jpg
20200810_052041.jpg

Pretty neat! I am guessing the metallic drive (vs belt or rubber, etc) allows it to slip if the tap bottoms out? A couple of time you can see the tap come to a full stop, but video at that point is directed at the work piece so you can't see what is happening up top...

Pretty neat! I am guessing the metallic drive (vs belt or rubber, etc) allows it to slip if the tap bottoms out? A couple of time you can see the tap come to a full stop, but video at that point is directed at the work piece so you can't see what is happening up top...

You're probably right and I can't see it pushing a very big tap. 1/2-13 maybe?

Brent

I don't know who was first, but I had an American Hamilton tapper with a 1924 patent date. That patent was for a drill, and the nameplate on the tapper dates to after 1937. It had a 1/4" Jacobs chuck. The table rose and fell to operate.

Adolph Muehlmatt and Hamilton also made sensitive drills. They went through the usual ownership/location changes for old companies and petered out in the 1980's.

Company history: Hamilton Tool Co. - History | VintageMachinery.org Muehlmatt is known in jeweler circles as a maker of hand engraving tools.

Larry

MVC-006F.JPG MVC-010F.JPG MVC-008F.JPG MVC-009F.JPG MVC-007F.JPG

We have one like that here. We had pulled a bunch of stuff out of storage to decide it we would scrap/sell or save. It went into the sell pile until later that week when 1000 holes in aluminum parts needed the threads chased. Worked pretty well for chasing 1/4-20 threads but that is the biggest it could do. Now it has earned a spot in the corner to be used once a year ��

I have an ancient machine with a horizontal spindle, drill chuck on one end and acorn die holder on the other. Push and pull, takes seconds, works like a charm. $5 in an auction 45 yrs ago. Will post pix when I get to the shop.

I agree that it similar to Hamilton tapper but not sure the table on Hamilton moves up and down to get reversing action
I did no see how spindle or table moved in picture
I love the Hamilton tapper so much I made a crude copy that I have pushed #/8 16 through 6061 I was inspired when one day I did something like 500 pcs 2-56 in brass 1 tap I had bought 5 for the job.

I knew it was Waldown from the fancy cowling.....locally made in Melbourne .....Waldown stuff was very well made ,but hid behind the tariff wall .....cheap Taiwan imports killed them dead ......they were like $1100 for a simple 3 speed drill press ,when a Taiwan 16 speeder was $200........There used to be some good stuff made here ,but very expensive local labour rates killed it all when the tariffs were removed.

I knew it was Waldown from the fancy cowling.....locally made in Melbourne .....Waldown stuff was very well made ,but hid behind the tariff wall .....cheap Taiwan imports killed them dead ......they were like $1100 for a simple 3 speed drill press ,when a Taiwan 16 speeder was $200........There used to be some good stuff made here ,but very expensive local labour rates killed it all when the tariffs were removed.

Interesting John, IMHO there's so little to choose between the Oldak and Waldown I wondering who copied who, or was there a licencing agreement, ....or badge engineering. ..............IIRC Australia ''built it's own Southbends'' (amongst several other machines)

We have one like that here. We had pulled a bunch of stuff out of storage to decide it we would scrap/sell or save. It went into the sell pile until later that week when 1000 holes in aluminum parts needed the threads chased. Worked pretty well for chasing 1/4-20 threads but that is the biggest it could do. Now it has earned a spot in the corner to be used once a year ��

If you ever change your mind on selling it. I would love to purchase it from you. I have been on the hunt for a tapping machine. I use a hand tapper everyday and am in need of something to speed up production a bit :)

Larry,
Thanks for posting those photos of the green Hamilton. I have two of them that I use often for small stuff up to 10-32 or so. I didn't realise that the tab at the back of the table was for a hold-down. Makes sense now... ..👍👍

Back