Stress relieving 1018 - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    Lets say you just reuse the 8 hr shafting and there is ANY fault is your problem when the lawyers find out. It will not mater what you think, you didnt follow the specs from the cust...Phil
    Dude, its 1018. Its main property is "lump of cheap steel". If it fails the worst that should happen is a gopher gets a plow on its head.

I can't imagine any outlandish circumstance where the failure of customer supplied 1018 would be so catastrophic that the guy who stress relieved it is sitting in the witness box.

If the use of 1018.... 10 fricken 18.. Literally high end garbage steel (A36 being low end garbage 'barely' steel) is a life and limb or high risk situation. The engineer is on the hook. There are many many many materials that are far stronger and weigh the same. There are even materials that weigh less and are stronger. If failure could be so catastrophic.. Was there any NDT done? Testing? What were the design load limits? Why did you call out a garbage piece of material for a critical application?

I'm going to guess that the customer just needs to peel a little off of one side and they don't want it to turn into a banana.

2. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I would tell the customer what happened and let them make the decision. I agree that little or no damage was probably done and I would tell the customer that also. But I would be honest with them, in the long run I would rather have their trust in my truthfulness. I bet they specified the soak time in part to save money on heat treating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe you need a few more lawyers down there...we have a few extra we could send you if you want...Phil

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    You are missing the point, the cust. spec was a 4hr time, you on your own used a 8hr cook time, It don't mater if it was harmless, you didn't do what the cust asked for...Now you can tell him and lose face or replace the stock and redo it to the cust specs. As 1018 is cheap and easy to obtain I would just replace and do it the way the cust wanted.Once you lose the trust of the cust you are done. Lets say you just reuse the 8 hr shafting and there is ANY fault is your problem when the lawyers find out. It will not mater what you think, you didnt follow the specs from the cust...Phil
    Again it's 1018

If it happened to me I'd use the bar without a second thought. Again it's 1018.

My customers wouldn't know the difference between a 4 and 8 hour soak for 1018.

as it's 1018, and if I really cared I'd call the customer and tell him it got soaked for 8 hours instead of 4, they'd likely say "so what, it's 1018, who gives a ****, call me when it's ready"

Now if it was 4340/17-4/15-5/13-8 and an aircraft part that would be different, if there was an issue I'd call the customer and tell them what happened. We've had to have some 15-5 material re-annealed and re-heattreated because we spec'd the wrong heat treat temp on a PO (H1025 instead of H900)

6. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Again it's 1018

Now if it was 4340/17-4/15-5/13-8 and an aircraft part that would be different, if there was an issue I'd call the customer and tell them what happened. We've had to have some 15-5 material re-annealed and re-heattreated because we spec'd the wrong heat treat temp on a PO (H1025 instead of H900)
    Even if it was 4340 or some tool steel the difference between 4 and 8 hours anneal would be probably quite small. At least at comparatively low temp like 950F.

0.8% plain old carbon steel as an example:

Note that time axis is logarithmic, going from 2 hours to 5 hours affects the hardnes by maybe 1-2 HRC units and from 5 hours to 25 hours another 1-2 HRC.

8. Likes johansen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    LOL it's 1018, the customer isn't going to care.
    Triumph406 couldn't be more spot on, if a customer only wants 1018 the specs might just as well say "some metal".

10. Likes Mike1974, ChipSplitter, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure why Phil in Montana is so overwrought with this LoL.

It's 1018

it's 1018

it's "metal"

even if they wanted to carbuerize and case harden it, it is still not really passable as "important"

12. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's a local shop that refer's to all jobs made from 1018 and A-36 as "Garbage Work"........

Like others said, if it would be 4140 or 8620 or 52100 or P20 or, or, or, just about anything else it would be a different story.

14. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewie View Post
    :-) Can 1018 ever be so hard to have stresses in it ? :-)
    ...lewie...
    Could was. Lost half a tooth to a hard spot in beef jerky, years ago.

Otherwise, someone asks for heat-treat on 10XX?

WTF?

Good time to not bid the job!

Plenty of OTHER idiots who will pay far better for work in alloy steels!