Strike One MariTool - Page 17
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have repeated the story as accurately as I could, told to me in the first person by the victim. He was generally pretty honest but I think not above adjusting a tale a bit.

In any case, it hardly will affect our fates.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I have repeated the story as accurately as I could, told to me in the first person by the victim. He was generally pretty honest but I think not above adjusting a tale a bit.

In any case, it hardly will affect our fates.

Bill
    Prolly not. Some tales are worth more as to a life of "dining out" on the telling than a whole WEEK'S pay. You won't be one to "ask me how I know this"!

Somebody asked if Frank Mari rode 2-wheelers.

Forget "splitting" deer!

I'd be worried we start going short of highway bridge abutments!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are old fools here that seem to want to talk BS daily. perhaps they should face book thier worthless asses, and let the metal workers speak!

Really!, these BSers should be require to produce evidence some current work for a least an ounce of credibility!

Tell me all about the Monarch 10ee termite, 9100!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been working termite while you and your worthless do nothing friends plug the forum with bull shit stories!
    You talking about Monarch 10ee lathes, is a joke, you never have had working machines, your past post reflect that.
    So, termite, you have an addiction of posting you stupid bull shit stories on this forum every fucking day, I get busy come back and there is even more termite bull shit!
    Really, I look at the forum, and its termite puke across the subjects! Some one has to point out you are a fake, a troll on this forum, that goes for your worthless friends also.
    Non of you can produce photos of any current work, or proof of life for that matter!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Couple years ago I did a little informal study on motorcycle/deer collisions using YouTube as reference material. What I found was if the bike was 600CC or smaller, or if the rider tried to avoid the deer, the rider was toast. If the bike was bigger than 600CC AND the rider rode straight at the deer, the deer would split, and the rider could stop in a controlled manner.

Front end of the bike was still toast, but no hospital bills.

Should mount a splitter bar for additional safety.
    Had a bird fly into my head once, bike was a 1200. Bike wasn't hurt at all, I had a bruise, headache and bird crap and feathers on me. I tried to duck, apparently that was a wrong move....

6. Likes kustomizer, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Had a bird fly into my head once, bike was a 1200. Bike wasn't hurt at all, I had a bruise, headache and bird crap and feathers on me. I tried to duck, apparently that was a wrong move....
    So a you should have goosed instead? Swanned? Or chickened-out?

And did the bird ever find its way back out?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad once replaced his headlight with an owl.

I would consider it a high velocity interference fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I've only hit 2 deer with vehicles, a Jag XJS and an Explorer. Both fucked up the vehicles and the deer ran away.

Only thing I've ever hit head on with a motorcycle was a Honda Odyssey. They don't give no matter how you hit them.
    Lucky you on deer count. They tell me PA is as bad as Michigan with these overgrown rodents. I have at least six to ten near misses a year and have lost count of cars hit.
    One funny time after the police report. The officer said "I am going to write the deer up as being at fault for unsafe crossing a public road".

On the Odyssey they take up a lot room on the trail coming head on so can for sure see it or a tree.
    Did you get to kick the driver in the head on the way over?
    Same, same with snowmobiles if both are charging corners hard and fast but a tad more room and maybe just bounce sort of sides..... or a tree.

Two wheeled coffins are dangerous toys despite the fun to use.
    Have had many more problems with people in cars trying to hurt me than deer.
    Now if we could just take bad car drivers doing such and shoot them in the head......
    Bob
    (I should be slapped hard for helping move the thread so way far off the rails)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Strostkovy View Post
    My dad once replaced his headlight with an owl.

I would consider it a high velocity interference fit.
    LOL! What some folk will experiment with to improve night vision?

'been lucky. Might be time of day? Aside from the odd squirrel, box terrapin, frog, or SMALL bird, one racoon in close on 2 million road miles, 27 countries.

"Interference fit? How about "felted flocking"?

Bimmer was marching 90 miles to the hour, not 90 steps to the minute. Poor bastard simply detonated. On the evidence first impact was the right side front towing loop. (S)he must have tried to leap clear?

Had me a felt-flocked undercarriage.

Never did get 100% of the fur out of the anti-rust gummy under-coating popular in the era, "salt belt" Pennsyltucky.

But at least it quit stinking after a couple of weeks and many washes got the meat, blood, organ tissue, and guts in general out of the various underbelly lines, cables, pipes, and other of "the usual" convolutions.

Kid brother had hit three deer, his area. Mind - over about a 20 year span. One of them near totaling his car, the other two just grille & headlamp or hood repairs.

Fourth go, he had a reflexive rush of brains to the arse, swerved ...missed the deer outright. Totaled the car for a different reason.

He was approaching the at-grade crossing of a dual main line heavy freight railway!

Crossing the double tracks well to the right of the "formal" crossing - without benefit of ASPHALT - tore the front and rear suspension of his Chevy Malibu near-as-dammit clear OFF!

At least the momentum carried him clear of the tracks!

11. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lucky you on deer count. They tell me PA is as bad as Michigan with these overgrown rodents. I have at least six to ten near misses a year and have lost count of cars hit.
    It is. One of those was in front of my own shop. Mashed up the Explorer bad enough that I went back and had someone pry the fender away from the door far enough to get me out.

On the Odyssey they take up a lot room on the trail coming head on so can for sure see it or a tree.
    Did you get to kick the driver in the head on the way over?
    Not that kind of Odyssey, the minivan Odyssey. On the open road. Woman turned left in front of me, got me head on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is. One of those was in front of my own shop. Mashed up the Explorer bad enough that I went back and had someone pry the fender away from the door far enough to get me out.

Not that kind of Odyssey, the minivan Odyssey. On the open road. Woman turned left in front of me, got me head on.
    Me and the dog were riding our Valkyrie on a 2 lane through the hills one day when a dump truck did that to us, we ended up under it, he was making the left from a stop and we got slowed to about 20 then smack, smack, once off the bumper then again off the asphalt.
    We crawled out, dusted off, he backed up and the engine was caught by the bumper and stood the bike right back up, it was ruined but upright so we pushed it off the road. I helped him unload a tractor off his trailer then pushed the bike on and he gave me and the dog a ride home. When we got home the phone was ringing and no less than a dozen friends called saying I heard you were in an accident, hows I-lean? Not a one asked Hows Mark? His insurance was easy and paid us a very fair price for the bike.
    img_0005.jpg
    Now we ride this
    img_0433-1-.jpg
    Here we are doing a backflip on a 800lb motorcycle
    img_0438.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty much "standard risk", going-forward. Reality is the dense coasts - and most of the Mid-Atlantic East have seen population - and road-use density increase dramatically since the dawn of the 1960's. Meanwhile 'awareness of two-wheelers had declined along with a general decline in driver's paying attention to their space. We know at least SOME of the same roads.

If there was a "golden age" for touring, it may have been after new interstates had sucked much of the traffic OFF Routes 30, 31, 40, and then.. they were upgraded with decent pavements or even made dual-carriageway.

For a while, they were low density use, and more inteesting alternatives to the interstates & Turnpikes.

No longer. They've filled-up again, and not with the most alert of drivers, either.

Two wheeling is more dangerous than ever.. from 4-wheelers often oblivious, if not outright hostile.

Deer, at least are not TRYING to mess you up. Just because they can.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    So a you should have goosed instead? Swanned? Or chickened-out?

And did the bird ever find its way back out?
    Nope, I'm still a bird brain to this day....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Nope, I'm still a bird brain to this day....
    No argumemt. But we thot that was because it hatched several clutches of rotten eggs?

I was jest wondering' if the founder of yer personal pigeon-coop had DIED in there, what with the petrified bird guts, guano, and feathers so obviously gumming up yer mental gearings.

Guest Guest

I just got a straight shank floating tapping holder from Mari Tool. Definitely well made and a great price. My only issue is with all of you that bought up the ER-16 ones and they ended up on back order. Needing one quickly I had to get a ER-20 one of which I had no collets for so I had to buy those also.

18. Likes Oldwrench, Mtndew, mhajicek liked this post
    Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Me and the dog were riding our Valkyrie on a 2 lane through the hills one day when a dump truck did that to us, we ended up under it, he was making the left from a stop and we got slowed to about 20 then smack, smack, once off the bumper then again off the asphalt.
    We crawled out, dusted off, he backed up and the engine was caught by the bumper and stood the bike right back up, it was ruined but upright so we pushed it off the road. I helped him unload a tractor off his trailer then pushed the bike on and he gave me and the dog a ride home. When we got home the phone was ringing and no less than a dozen friends called saying I heard you were in an accident, hows I-lean? Not a one asked Hows Mark? His insurance was easy and paid us a very fair price for the bike.
    img_0005.jpg
    Now we ride this
    img_0433-1-.jpg
    Here we are doing a backflip on a 800lb motorcycle
    img_0438.jpg
    When you ride it isn't if you are going to crash it is when, even if you are the most observant person on the planet. I had 3 road crashes under my belt when issues with a bad back stopped me riding after 25 years back in 2005. First was coming out of a corner to find a fresh rock slide in the mountains, the second a car coming head on at me on a two lane road, where I went over a curb to avoid a crash which tossed me off the bike. #3 was a car pulling out in front of me and stopping, not wanting to go on the wrong side of the road on a blind hill I went behind him into the gutter. Unfortunately that was in front of a seafood restaurant that was pumping their liquid waste down the gutter into the storm drain. A top heavy Honda Hurricane 1000 wasn't a good bike to try to stop in a blend of fish juice and cooking oil. At least it was the slowest of all crashes at 10 mph, but the most costly to the bike. Even though it was a little over 25 years ago it would have been $3k damage if I did not decide to try my hand at fiberglass repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    When you ride it isn't if you are going to crash it is when, even if you are the most observant person on the planet.
    Every street rider I've encounter thinks they will not crash. And many do pull this off forever.
    Curb,,, bad but it is a tiny log to others.
    Valkyrie or gold wing and curb jumping or using the middle grass on I-75.... most not knowing and first experience.
    Ride safe, all all times expect people in cars to do do stupid, there is more than just the pavement.
    Crashing into a ditch or shrubs is much better than a auto.
    Bob

21. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    When you ride it isn't if you are going to crash it is when, even if you are the most observant person on the planet.
    Every street rider I've encounter thinks they will not crash. And many do pull this off forever.
    Curb,,, bad but it is a tiny log to others.
    Valkyrie or gold wing and curb jumping or using the middle grass on I-75.... most not knowing and first experience.
    Ride safe, at all times expect people in cars to do stupid, there is more than just the pavement.
    Crashing into a ditch or shrubs is much better than a auto.

I ride Gold Wings and a Ninja on the sand and ORV trails here. Quite the fight and get stuck on ground clearance.
    People along the trail system think me crazy but I think it learning. Can ride this all day long on a 250MX but big street bike on street tires?
    Am I the only person who thinks running a Ninja though the woods trails a fun and challenging experience although everything is wrong.
    Try it two up as the wife does not mine the fall downs and is the copilot saying go faster.

Ride to live and live to ride but just do not get hurt. Learn to crash gracefully.
    When things go south there are ditches, curbs or front lawns and parking lots.
    Bad and nowhere, lay the bike in front of you.
    Bob

23. Likes kustomizer, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here we are stuck in a foot or so of snow 20 miles from a paved road, we were able to stomp a trail to clear the engine and make it the last 1/4 mile or so where it wouldn't go on its own, we had been on dirt/mud/snow ice forest service roads for over 100 miles before it stopped. She sure was impressed with me, oh look, another purple shirt.
    1.jpg
    There are 2 kinds of motorcycles, them that have fallen down and them that will.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1684.jpg  

25. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Every street rider I've encounter thinks they will not crash.
    Fooks sake! Old Skewl RULE was that you 'were not" a "rider" until. you had at least TWICE..

- laid the f**ker down.

- Got the downside leg - and fragile ANKLE - outta danger,

- rode the sparking wreckage to a stop..

- and then ... had DONE all that fast and well enough you could simply step off, nary a scratch to YOU, even if the two-wheeler was total JUNK!

"Extra points" if all yah had to do was straighten a few bits, ride-on, replace the bustid downside mirror, next week.

Same rule for aircraft. Any landing you can WALK away from is a "good" landing.

Humans are unique and a long-cycle pain in the belly and wallet to manufacture and train-up.

Motorsickles and aircraft they "just make", always another one already set to go.

Learn it or suffer from the ignorance. Later and harder, if not sooner and easier.

That.. is 2-wheeling. Or flying aircraft, "light" ones most of all.