Strike One MariTool - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The OP ordered on Friday, before a three day weekend, during a killer(21 dead so far) snowstorm. Then complains it took more then one day to pull his order. Maybe he should run for president and solve the worlds problems in under 24 hours after taking office.
    Bill D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The OP ordered on Friday, before a three day weekend, during a killer(21 dead so far) snowstorm. Then complains it took more then one day to pull his order. Maybe he should run for president and solve the worlds problems in under 24 hours after taking office.
    Bill D
    He'll have to take a f*****g NUMBER, what with the Field Army head-count of previously-proven-useless retread swamp-REMFs already pulling seniority to suckle on the teats of the Federal Sow.

Quid-pro-Beijing-Joe Buyed-In couldn't stay awake and coherent long enough to organize a piss-up in a brewery without drowning his own voters. For the second or third time, even.

If we had to have looters in charge of the cash till? Thank heaven they are incompetent at making common-cause, even as ordinary wastrels and thieves.

3. Likes GregSY, Lewie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just received my first order of ER-16 CAT40 tool holders and collets from Maritool today. Super happy with them. I can only hope the op didn’t get his order in time to meet his ridiculous schedule because they were busy filling mine. My only issue is that I forgot to add pull studs to the order. I will be ordering more from Maritool. I’ve got some tool holders that are in need of replacement

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    I agree 100%. This is why I don't have min order size and I sell inserts individually. Many hobbyists turn into large machine shops. It is a privilage to serve both large and small customers. Both have pros and cons.
    Thank you Frank, and the vast majority like the way you (and others) look after ''the little guy'' ...................unfortunately the odd bad apple gets in the barrel, which we cannot stop, ...but we can soon chuck em out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beeser View Post
    OP here with my final comments. MariTool did email back after I cancelled the order and pointed out that their website does indeed state that orders shipped USPS are not included in their same day shipping policy. It was an oversight on my part that it was processed this way. They also confirmed the order cancellation and stated a refund would be forthcoming. MariTool should be commended for their prompt response and attention. I've moved on and placed an order elsewhere for some quality German made collets at considerably greater expense. Thanks all who responded to this thread for all of the entertaining comments.

Signed a hobbyist that does this for the pure enjoyment of machining and fortunately doesn't have to do it for a living.
    You should re-order from Maritool a bit sharpish. They are offering a free book with every order "How to win friends and influence people".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Bill D
    No, the order was placed Monday, Presidents day. He requested USPS shipping. We state everywhere on our website that USPS shipments may not ship same day. Also lets not forget that USPS does not work on Presidents day.

8. Likes Newman109, Oldwrench, 3t3d, kazlx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wait til he finds out his quality German collets were made in China for a price point

10. Likes Limy Sami, TeachMePlease, fusker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    wait til he finds out his quality German collets were made in China for a price point

Ouch... Now that's really gonna hurt after this debacle. I forget who said it but I agree he should of manned up and apologized.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on Franks part
    you should of had the tool before you started the job.
    But no blame everybody else WTF !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ernieflash View Post
    “Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on Franks part”
    you should of had the tool before you started the job.
    But no blame everybody else WTF !!!
    Common mentality in today's world, unfortunately. Everyone is a victim, accept no personal responsibility, blame everyone else for your poor judgment and shortcomings... Sickening.

14. Likes Lewie, JohnEvans, ernieflash, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now he will jump in and complain that you were open for business and took his order on a holiday. Probably godless commies working there. Being a teacher I know about every possible holiday. I am surprised you were open on that holiday.
    Berkeley does not honor Columbus day instead they do indigenous peoples day.
    Bill D.
    In California we no longer do admission day as a holiday. Do any states still do it? Bedside the original 13.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    I agree 100%. This is why I don't have min order size and I sell inserts individually. Many hobbyists turn into large machine shops. It is a privilage to serve both large and small customers. Both have pros and cons.
    This is what got me on Maritool. I finally convinced the school we needed a facemill for aluminum and got them to shell out a couple hundred bucks. I had some questions regarding which holder to match with the facemill I wanted, so I sent an email for clarification. Frank emailed me back in less than 30 minutes with the answers and told me to call and talk to him if I needed anything else. That level of service combined with quality tools at fair prices is obviously a recipe for success. Now I work at a place that spends 15k a month on tooling and if we need something new, I check their website first.

17. Likes mhajicek, Steven-Canada, aarongough liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spruewell View Post
    I just received my first order of ER-16 CAT40 tool holders and collets from Maritool today. Super happy with them. I can only hope the op didn’t get his order in time to meet his ridiculous schedule because they were busy filling mine. My only issue is that I forgot to add pull studs to the order. I will be ordering more from Maritool. I’ve got some tool holders that are in need of replacement
    ROFL! I've got some brand f**king NEW ER-40 on 40-taper I may just replace with MariTool to be ornery.

They were ordered from a German firm. Because that firm had earned the reputation of doing a decent job of incoming QC to insure the goods met DIN standards.

On Chinese-made toolholders!

Back before that first TG-100 proved to me that a MariTool toolholder is a friggin' work of high ART!

Will beeser learn?

No Fine Way!

Look at the secondary "attention-bid" in his so-called apology.

Toss a grenade. Claim pomp-ass credit for throwing yerself onto it? Arrogantly announce he'll buy German goods, prolly routed to Europe out of China. As I knew in advance my ones had been? And he does not YET know?

Wotta superior mensch! NOT!

Just one more small-d drama-queen "Wound Collector" at his wired-in lifestyle.

They can't help it. It's in their levi's.
    Genes, that is.

Meahh.. I'm still frugal... just bought a new short-stickout MariTool CAT-40 ER-20 holder I did NOT have instead.

Hey???

Uhh.. Frank?

beeser ain't by some chance on your payroll as the "advertising department" is he?

19. Likes fmari --MariTool-, mjk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After reading all of the posts here, I’ll admit to some mixed feelings.

No question, the OP acted like a jackass. He ordered with unrealistic expectations, did not read that his choice of shipping method might delay - very slightly - his order, took no account of a weather emergency that might have caused the delay, and came up with a shipping discount based on God knows what. He is the type of nitpicking customer that no company needs or wants. And then he compounded it all by ranting here before contacting the seller and giving them a chance to make things - in his mind - right. To repeat, he acted like a jackass.

But I will suggest that a big mistake was that it was MariTool. Frank has long been a valuable member here, providing good products, service, and a very great contribution to the group. Had the OP made the same complaint about, say, MSC, I’m guessing there would have been at least a few replies along the lines of “Oh yeah, I hate those assholes too”. Just something to think about. Again, though, MariTool did absolutely nothing wrong. It’s all on beezer.

What I do object to are the suggestions that this all happened because he is a hobbyist, and that suppliers should refuse to do business with hobbyists. They certainly have the right to do so, and have the right to set large minimum orders. But I’ll bet that most of our suppliers - including Frank - have had many similar experiences with professional machinists.

OK, I guess you’ve figured out that I’m a hobbyist. There was a time when the local Grainger posted “trade only” signs on their door. But I knew exactly what I wanted, needed no advice from them, and had cash ready - so I didn’t feel bad about ignoring their sign and neither did they. I certainly cost them money on one order, when I ordered some thin surface grinder cutoff wheels, for store pickup. Less than a full box, but I wonder how many of the pros order these by the box - they’re not cheap. They arrived at the store broken, Grainger apologized and re-ordered. Replacement order, broken again. Third time’s a charm. Would any of you have done differently?

I’ve bought a lot of metal from a local steel supplier. Always full lengths, usually in quantities. One time I needed a full stick of 1-1/2” 12L14. Called them ahead of time, they confirmed it was in stock and quoted a price. When I got there, they said that they were now selling to the trade only. They called a fabricator up the street, I went up there and paid him, he called in the order to the steel center, and I went back there to pick it up. What a PITA for all involved. They have since changed their policy, and have no problem selling to me, and I’ve always been well over any minimums they have.

I recently ordered a reproduction leather holster for a 1911 from a mail order company. It was described and pictured with USMC embossed on the flap. It came with US instead. I contacted them, they told me to send it back and re-order. Maybe I was too fussy, but as a marine that was important to me. The other jarheads here will understand. But it was a PITA for both the company and me. I ordered a couple of cheek pads for an M1 from them, they charged my card on January 7. No sign of them yet. Sent one email, no reply. Maybe they’ve decided I’m not worth dealing with, and have decided to keep my money to compensate for their earlier mistake.

Here are a couple of questions for those who would freeze out the hobbyists, though. You buy a new machine, and to hook it up you need cable, boxes, magnetic controls, etc. You’ve done it before and you know exactly what you need. But when you go to the electrical supply house, they say you’ll need an electrician’s card to buy from them. In spite of the fact that you know more about wiring a three phase machine than an electrician who spends all his time pulling wires in residences. Or you need a new alternator for your F-150 and the counter guy at NAPA tells you they have it on the shelf, but a new policy is to sell only to mechanics.

Sorry if I got carried away. I’d be interested to hear your answers to those questions, though. And just to repeat, the OP was a jackass and none of this is in any way defending him.

21. Likes Timboberonion liked this post
    Guest Guest

It amazes me how self absorbed some people can be, it boggles the mind. The OP gets my vote for the self absorbed a-hole hall of fame.

23. Likes digger doug, ernieflash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@ JohnMartin. I don't think it is the fact of him being a hobbyist (although some did explicitly say they didn't want to deal with hobbyist), it's just a general perception I think from people who do this for a living. We get, on this site, far more people who don't know what they are doing, but then refuse to accept any advice after they ask questions, OR like OP, come here and piss and moan about something entirely stupid, slamming a respectable member here for no good reason.

I don't think it is fair to make a comparison with MSC either. They are a giant corp, sourcing from anywhere that might suit them (especially their "value" line), then marking it up 30% to give you a 25% discount.

25. Likes digger doug, empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMartin View Post
    After reading all of the posts here, I’ll admit to some mixed feelings.

No question, the OP acted like a jackass. He ordered with unrealistic expectations, did not read that his choice of shipping method might delay - very slightly - his order, took no account of a weather emergency that might have caused the delay, and came up with a shipping discount based on God knows what. He is the type of nitpicking customer that no company needs or wants. And then he compounded it all by ranting here before contacting the seller and giving them a chance to make things - in his mind - right. To repeat, he acted like a jackass.

But I will suggest that a big mistake was that it was MariTool. Frank has long been a valuable member here, providing good products, service, and a very great contribution to the group. Had the OP made the same complaint about, say, MSC, I’m guessing there would have been at least a few replies along the lines of “Oh yeah, I hate those assholes too”. Just something to think about. Again, though, MariTool did absolutely nothing wrong. It’s all on beezer.

What I do object to are the suggestions that this all happened because he is a hobbyist, and that suppliers should refuse to do business with hobbyists. They certainly have the right to do so, and have the right to set large minimum orders. But I’ll bet that most of our suppliers - including Frank - have had many similar experiences with professional machinists.

OK, I guess you’ve figured out that I’m a hobbyist. There was a time when the local Grainger posted “trade only” signs on their door. But I knew exactly what I wanted, needed no advice from them, and had cash ready - so I didn’t feel bad about ignoring their sign and neither did they. I certainly cost them money on one order, when I ordered some thin surface grinder cutoff wheels, for store pickup. Less than a full box, but I wonder how many of the pros order these by the box - they’re not cheap. They arrived at the store broken, Grainger apologized and re-ordered. Replacement order, broken again. Third time’s a charm. Would any of you have done differently?

I’ve bought a lot of metal from a local steel supplier. Always full lengths, usually in quantities. One time I needed a full stick of 1-1/2” 12L14. Called them ahead of time, they confirmed it was in stock and quoted a price. When I got there, they said that they were now selling to the trade only. They called a fabricator up the street, I went up there and paid him, he called in the order to the steel center, and I went back there to pick it up. What a PITA for all involved. They have since changed their policy, and have no problem selling to me, and I’ve always been well over any minimums they have.

I recently ordered a reproduction leather holster for a 1911 from a mail order company. It was described and pictured with USMC embossed on the flap. It came with US instead. I contacted them, they told me to send it back and re-order. Maybe I was too fussy, but as a marine that was important to me. The other jarheads here will understand. But it was a PITA for both the company and me. I ordered a couple of cheek pads for an M1 from them, they charged my card on January 7. No sign of them yet. Sent one email, no reply. Maybe they’ve decided I’m not worth dealing with, and have decided to keep my money to compensate for their earlier mistake.

Here are a couple of questions for those who would freeze out the hobbyists, though. You buy a new machine, and to hook it up you need cable, boxes, magnetic controls, etc. You’ve done it before and you know exactly what you need. But when you go to the electrical supply house, they say you’ll need an electrician’s card to buy from them. In spite of the fact that you know more about wiring a three phase machine than an electrician who spends all his time pulling wires in residences. Or you need a new alternator for your F-150 and the counter guy at NAPA tells you they have it on the shelf, but a new policy is to sell only to mechanics.

Sorry if I got carried away. I’d be interested to hear your answers to those questions, though. And just to repeat, the OP was a jackass and none of this is in any way defending him.

That fucked up punctuation is as irritating as the OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMartin View Post
    ....Sorry if I got carried away. I’d be interested to hear your answers to those questions, though. .
    Good question so a couple thoughts.
    There are good and bad hobbyist to sell to.

Bad:
    Hobbyist tend to have lots of time to search the net so want the lowest price they can find. They do not understand why they can not buy 1 pc at the 500 pc price or why inserts come in tens.
    In tooling hobbyist tend to eat up lots of tech support time for very small orders.
    Hobbyist tend to think the Amazon or Walmart type sales rather than industrial sales and lead times.
    Some can be very hard to please and if they have feeds/speeds/usage wrong they blame the vendor and make noise.

Good:
    Hobbyist can be very loyal and promote the brand name a lot. One may lose money on the order but buy advertising and good will.

I do wonder how much of Maritool's sales are one holder of much worse yet one lower cost endmill?
    I think this in the customer who wants one TPG-322 for 3-5 dollars. Pull from stock, put into tray that costs, put into an box that costs, print the labels............. I can not make this model work.
    Bob

28. Likes digger doug, Hardplates liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    That fucked up punctuation is as irritating as the OP.
    Agree completely, and apologize. I wrote it correctly, but when I tried to post the site said I was logged out and had to log in again. When I did, it immediately posted with those additional characters.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Hey???

Uhh.. Frank?

beeser ain't by some chance on your payroll as the "advertising department" is he?
    (laughing while petting a cat on my arm) No, what are you talking about.

31. Likes J Gilles, mountie, eKretz, Mud, TeachMePlease and 8 others liked this post