What's new
What's new

Subaru Boxer engine?

James H Clark

Stainless
OT: Anybody got an opinion on the Boxer 6 engine in the new Subaru Legacy's? We have a 2015 Legacy with V6 that we really like. Wanting to trade for new Legacy, but V6 no longer available. What is everyone's opinion on the new engine?

JH

Can you believe an internet search will bring up several sites referring to the Subaru flat six as a V6, even with an illustration clearly showing it as a flat six?

3cb774e6c00a2ff7f83a34e5ed7bc446x.jpg

If you're looking to go far, and fast, a V6 engine will do just the trick. Offering the ideal balance of power and fuel economy for your everyday drive, it's no surprise that this strong compact engine has become a popular choice in modern vehicles. Hoping your new Outback comes with a V6 engine? Well, you're in luck.

BTW, if one buys a Subie and plans on keeping it, have the heads retorqued at 70,000 miles. We get pairs of the heads in to be surfaced most days. The local shop charges $1800 for head gaskets because either the owners were too cheap or too clueless to have the heads retorqued.

jack vines

Can you believe an internet search will bring up several sites referring to the Subaru flat six as a V6, even with an illustration clearly showing it as a flat six?

3cb774e6c00a2ff7f83a34e5ed7bc446x.jpg

BTW, if one buys a Subie and plans on keeping it, have the heads retorqued at 70,000 miles. We get pairs of the heads in to be surfaced most days. The local shop charges $1800 for head gaskets because either the owners were too cheap or too clueless to have the heads retorqued.

jack vines

Friend works almost exclusively on Subaru's, anytime I see a new one there my first question is, head gaskets or timing belts?:D

That timing chain path looks miserable.

In 2020, ANY engine that require the head bolts to be re-tightened after 70K miles is, let's just say to be polite, of highly dubious nature. That has a distinctly Teutonic ring to it...what have the Japanese come to???

You can have a flat 'V' engine, just 180° V. Difference between a boxer and a 180° V is the crankshaft. Subaru is technically a boxer engine.

In 2020, ANY engine that require the head bolts to be re-tightened after 70K miles is, let's just say to be polite, of highly dubious nature. That has a distinctly Teutonic ring to it...what have the Japanese come to???

With a proper mechanic, they can take some serious abuse! Although I do kinda agree on the re-torque issue. Probably does not help that they have a crazy torgue, then loosen x# degrees, then re-tighten x# degree head bolt tightening procedure, it may not be exactly as I posted, but its not torque and go which is what most mechanics are used to.

Seriously? I get more miles out of brake pads than that.

A 'V' cannot be a straight line by definition, not any more than a circle can be a 'V'.... Of course, there are 4 sided triangles but the government keeps those under wraps.

No way you have a Suby with a V6 unless someone put it in custom.

Having said that, the Suby 6's have had less issues with head gaskets than the non turbo 4's. Guess the gasket makeup is just different enough that it doesn't suck.

If you go 100k on a 4 cycl Suby engine without doing head gaskets you are lucky. We have had a number of them.. they aren't the typical 'go forever' asian car.

Please give me a moment to wipe the egg off my face. Never been under the hood of my wife's car, she always has it serviced at the dealer. We were told by the kid that sold it to us (new) that it was a V6. When we go back to him about trading, he said the V6 was no longer available, only the "flat" six cylinder "boxer" engine. Okay, so no real change after all. Thanks to all.

JH

Back