What's new
What's new

Substitute for Logan 400 Compound?

Mark Proulx

Plastic
I need to replace the compound on my old Logan 400 lathe. Is it necessary to use an actual Logan part, or do there exist other makes that will mate with the existing crossfeed? In other words, is the circular dovetail interface a standard interface, or does each manufacturer use their own?

My Harrison came with a homemade adapter plate and a different compound. The plate has two through holes for the tee nuts and a center bore for a pin. Then a compound was bolted to the 3/8" plate with threaded holes. I think the pin may be two different diameters to match compound and apron.
It lost about 3/8" inch maximum diameter.

I need to replace the compound on my old Logan 400 lathe. Is it necessary to use an actual Logan part, or do there exist other makes that will mate with the existing crossfeed? In other words, is the circular dovetail interface a standard interface, or does each manufacturer use their own?

First question is why do you think it needs to be replaced? Secondly note that if you find another, even if its from a Logan 400, it might take some work to fit it.

I fit a unknown compound to my Sheldon lathe by drilling new holes for the T-nuts to match the circle on my cross slide and making a stepped pivot pin for the center.

The only thing I knew matched was the width of the compound assembly and that it wasn't tall enough to interfere with the tooling.

Anything else will require lots of work to adapt.

Logan Actuator company still exists, and still supports their old lathes. The have a reflector, where one may post queries.

The reflector is <[email protected]>. You probably need to subscribe first, but it's free.

Logan Home Page

Looks like a couple of possibles on ebay, seems they don't use model, just swing, and maybe they got that wrong? Are you needing the whole assembly (upper,lower,feed rod, knob, etc), or just upper half? If its completely missing and you need dimension to verify what a seller has, I can provide that.

IIRC some Logans were sold under the Montgomery Wards name, so you might search there too.

Back