What's new
What's new

Suburban Tool Master Grind repair

ProbertIsKing

Plastic
Anyone have any experience opening one of these up? Picked up a real clean unit for a good price, but it doesn't spin freely as it should. I opened the back end and found general purpose grease inside. I dropped her off at Suburban tool for inspection, but the only service they provide is a total rebuild. I assume it might be good as new once I remove all that grease.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Right or wrong (and so far no issues I've noticed) I had one that was totally frozen from dried out grease. I bought a gallon of dehydrated kerosene at the hardware store filtered and decanted it into clean lab glass. I used the kerosene to flush out the dried grease over a couple of days. I did not want to take it apart and risk changing the preload on the bearings.

Anyone have any experience opening one of these up? Picked up a real clean unit for a good price, but it doesn't spin freely as it should. I opened the back end and found general purpose grease inside. I dropped her off at Suburban tool for inspection, but the only service they provide is a total rebuild. I assume it might be good as new once I remove all that grease.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Risky assumption.

Only works if you caught them early enough. EG: could be "good as new" if never actually operated with fossilized grease. As-in just tossed in a corner and aged-out whilst unused.

Few make that bet. Suburban didn't, did they?

Function they may, but no, they will not be "good as new".

Think it through. There would be a huge market for "freshly laundered" roller bearings if it were that easy. There ain't, really.

Only really expensive ones justify a "rebuild", and cheap it is never.

One can get old grease out. It can be "good enough". Depends on the need.

For non-critical bearings (10EE belt idlers) I had heat-soaked it out on a 150 mm electric hot plate in an ignorant baked-bean tin using ATF heated to about 150 - 180 F.

It isn't usually worth the time nor effort. Too much time wasted on cheap bearings. Not assured of good enough results on expensive bearings.

So I didn't repeat the experiment.

Problem is that back when the lube first began to fail, the rolling elements tended to go dry, skip and skate. Which wants to ruin the precision surfaces.

Brand-new bearings are wiser.

They are also usually cheaper than f*****g around.

Unless your time is nearly worthless?

I didn't do a SECOND one!

"YMMV"

:D

Last edited:
termite, you bringing up the Monarch ee, is just the icing on your cake, you have never had one running, its in your own post!
Yet, on the Monarch forum, you have pushed out all experienced users of the machine with your distracting rambling useless crap like above, and became the expert over there!

termite, you bringing up the Monarch ee, is just the icing on your cake, you have never had one running, its in your own post!
Yet, on the Monarch forum, you have pushed out all experienced users of the machine with your distracting rambling useless crap like above, and became the expert over there!

Well.. DUMBASS.. just how is it you think I figured out the idler bearing worked "OK" if I hadn't RUN the reinstalled suns-of-bitches with belt tension agin' 'em?

Your peculiar form of OCD insanity doesn't affect ANYONE else - on-planet or OFF.. ability to do THEIR chosen tasking by the least damned IOTA!

Could was that weird-ass whiney-hatey compulsion has been "noticed"?

Keep digging yer own hole.

If you don't get to China, then settle for your latest "Big F****ng Deal".... with Russia!

For .. or all things.. an ignorant blade holder to scrape paint and rust?

Chernegarose Russian hand scraper

F*****g SIMPLE thing any genuine craftsman cudda shop-fabbed in mere MINUTES if there wasn't already one laying around!

Go sulk and suck yer thumb for a month or so.

Better yet? All of them.

:(

termite you seem to avoid the fact that bringing up the Monarch ee and its idler bearing is ridiculous, as you never have had one running, or any lathe in the entire time you have been here.
It is also amusing, for you to be a critic or any thread, as again you have never started one of your own, again in the entire time you have here.
termite, you entire problem with me is your lying, bulling, and trashing my threads as you are determined to continue.
The problem you have, of interrupting others efforts, and cooking your bearings in bean cans, does speak for itself.
And, the termite studies continue, how far can a troll go!

termite you seem to avoid the fact that bringing up the Monarch ee and its idler bearing is ridiculous, as you never have had one running, or any lathe in the entire time you have been here.
It is also amusing, for you to be a critic or any thread, as again you have never started one of your own, again in the entire time you have here.
termite, you entire problem with me is your lying, bulling, and trashing my threads as you are determined to continue.
The problem you have, of interrupting others efforts, and cooking your bearings in bean cans, does speak for itself.
And, the termite studies continue, how far can a troll go!

Instead of fighting via posts, why don't you and Termite meet face to face and "discuss" your differences?
We could start a GoFundMe to fly you over to Termites hillbilly holler and end this, once and for all.

Instead of fighting via posts, why don't you and Termite meet face to face and "discuss" your differences?
We could start a GoFundMe to fly you over to Termites hillbilly holler and end this, once and for all.

'Fraid it would be a disappointment "entertainment-wise".

What makes you think that notorious a nutcase would be allowed onto an aircraft into the National Capitol zone? Or anywhere else?

Federal and State Agencies ... or Loudoun County Sheriff staff ... handle that sort if it weren't stopped at the source in Walla Walla by those who act, rather than whine.

They know who he is.

PM is only one of SEVERAL public-facing and Google indexed venues where he has forced his filth into the record. Preserved copies exist in several venues.

Psychopathic liar never made it to Dogpatch by the Sea when he threatened to whomp-up on Milacron did he?

QED

He's not going anywhere but down the drain of his own creation that he has been circling.

No one else's fault but his very own. That's how any "Wound Collector" ruins what they got.

Read the tragic record of an installment-plan virtual suicide for yourself, "right here, on PM", and several other places. He's made a decades-long PROJECT out of proving himself the "terrible one". In dream and nightmare, only.

No one else's DOING but his very own, so no one else can stop it, either.

termite, is a cowardly person, that was caught lying by me and many others, he has misrepresented himself from his entrance to the forum.
He has attacked many working professionals that call him on the ridiculous things he says.

If one does call him on his behavior, then you are a criminal, a drug addict and have a rotted mind.
On the criminal end, termite claimed he was a police officer, and he has thrown people like me in jail! For catching him lying again?
He cant deal with what he has done here notice the extreme hostility after I game him.
One could look at the situation where as termite post nonsense daily because he simply does not have a life, and it has become an insurmountable addiction he cant control, also seems to not do any metal working at all.
I am a working pro in this field, I find it outrages that this termite wishes me dead, simply because of his mountain of lies catches up to him, then he is compelled to drive those who call him on his nonsense off the forum.
I will call him on his nonsense, because in his mind he is, The Powerful Mentor on this forum, those are his words.
So, there is obviously no dealing with this person, he will not allow me to post threads without the Powerful Mentor trashing them, as I was able to do for 8yrs, before this person with a truth problem showed up apparently with free pass to trash everyone's threads as he does daily, he can not stop.

termite, is a cowardly person, that was caught lying by me and many others, he has misrepresented himself from his entrance to the forum.
He has attacked many working professionals that call him on the ridiculous things he says.

If one does call him on his behavior, then you are a criminal, a drug addict and have a rotted mind.
On the criminal end, termite claimed he was a police officer, and he has thrown people like me in jail! For catching him lying again?
He cant deal with what he has done here notice the extreme hostility after I game him.
One could look at the situation where as termite post nonsense daily because he simply does not have a life, and it has become an insurmountable addiction he cant control, also seems to not do any metal working at all.
I am a working pro in this field, I find it outrages that this termite wishes me dead, simply because of his mountain of lies catches up to him, then he is compelled to drive those who call him on his nonsense off the forum.
I will call him on his nonsense, because in his mind he is, The Powerful Mentor on this forum, those are his words.
So, there is obviously no dealing with this person, he will not allow me to post threads without the Powerful Mentor trashing them, as I was able to do for 8yrs, before this person with a truth problem showed up apparently with free pass to trash everyone's threads as he does daily, he can not stop.

If it were not so tragic, some might find it comical.

But EVERY TIME any functional person - and PM alone has furnished "many" - points out that you have a serious "behavioral issue" and far less than zero veracity, let alone "good manners"?

You double down to PROVE it so!

Now.. just HOW is it even the most generous of altruists (and I am NOT he!) .. could find a way.. to be "kind".. to a perpetual, volunteer Masochist? One who revels in his drug-rotted mind. And brags about how it messes him up. "Right here on PM". IN the record! Which may be yet another lie. You don't seem to NEED drugs to mess you up!

Besides killing-off yer own Mum prematurely as yet-another of your infantile attention bids? I hope SHE still has a sense of humour?

You only COME here to "collect wounds"? To prove you have some sort of importance not to be found in "real" life.

Most careless and most easily refuted liar on-planet? Planning a run for public orifice, are you?

Sorry. You are outclassed, both political parties! They get away with lies.

You get caught. On-purpose. Because you WANT to be caught in a lie. yet-again, another time. That's why your lies are so hyperbolically outrageous. How sane it that?

"Not sane at ALL" could work?

You visit here specifically to set yourself up to be bitch-slapped? And that is blinding OBVIOUS?

Now what do we do?

Easy one. Put you on "ignore". Bitch-slap you when bored.

Works well. Has lasted a long time. Could go on for many years, yet.

Not as if daytime Tee Vee kiddie cartoon shows were worth a s**t?

We needed our own clown.

You are that clown.

The advert clicks are welcome.

You have become "important" after all!

Every body has to be some body.

What's not to like about THAT?

lets face it. thermite is a crotchety old coot. he seeks attention.
he obfuscates his text so he can appear smarter than the rest of us.

just ignore his rantings and he won't get what he craves.

lets face it. thermite is a crotchety old coot. he seeks attention.
he obfuscates his text so he can appear smarter than the rest of us.

just ignore his rantings and he won't get what he craves.

HEY! Cut an Old Fart a break for 'dedication', willyah, Sir Garden-State Whistle-Pig, KCBE, OBE, GFY, GPS?

Y'all with a genetic advantage haven't the least KLEW how hard it is to take stoopid lessons .. and persevere whilst failing the dam' course!

Really? What makes anyone think I care about the skewed consensus on this forum, I find it funny that a working machinist needs to act like mister Rodgers, and go to charm fucking school to be acceptable to the idiots here that do, and show nothing regarding machine work, instead revert to bull shit story marathon on every dead thread such as this one. Yes the termite is a crotchety old coot, and a fake, he never worked in a machine shop ever.
I am not going to be called a criminal and drug addict by a clown with a fake name, without having something to say about it!

It may be time to start "ANOTHER" BAN DONIE THREAD! Because he wont bow to the fake god made of Zamak, the termite!

I am not going to called a criminal and drug addict by a clown with a fake name, without having something to say about it!

Oh, but surely you have been, ARE, and always WILL be!

You are yourself the primary reporter and recorder of it! ALL of it!

Your BRAGGING is in the record!

"Something to (keyboard) about it" IS why you've been able to recycle your own imaginary s**t for so many years, is it not?

Lesse.. atom-bomb builder.. "bad-ass biker dude", owner of several dozens of massive machine tools, name ANY one, uber-wealthy 'donie' knows it well, has owned it for 25 years made a lot of money off it.. bike shop millionaire, hydraulics billionaire.

In your fermenting underwear's soggy crotch WISH-you-hads, anyway?

Invent yourself.
Brag yerself.
Trap yourself.
Condemn yourself.
CASTIGATE yourself.. in public and on the record..
Pork skanks in Carmine's Black & blue..
Report "My Mother died of COVID..."

Lie about some "other"... or several "other" .. as being at fault for YOUR f**k-ups.

Moderators. Several. Site founders. Not "just" PM.
Whomever is more "visible".. that you may next go insanely jealous over and attack for your OWN LACKS!

Do it all over again.
Again AND again.
So long as ye shall live.
Or pretend to live.

IN THE PUBLIC RECORD. It is Google, physical space (NOT!), and the calendar as is your nemesis, fool.

A multiple personality disorder doesn't get you a different shop and separate career for each one of them in parallel!

Do the math, dummy! You HAVE worn-out 3-Jaw chucks to fix.
All the "extra" s**t is temporary. Borrowed, even. Lived only in a camera. Grew important only inside your own head!

How many times did Peter wind your silly ass up ..to show us the notorious CRS cheap-saw arbour you were so damned PROUD of? How many times have you bragged that NO ONE can fix a junk 3-Jaw as well as you?

"Too many"?

"Ruin what you got!"

Not as if you ever HAD any OTHER choice, is it, "wound collector"?

DNA dice-rolls are whatever they are.

Try to shit in the mess-kits of a large and indifferent world?

You only hit your own breakfast first and worst.

Chow down, fool.

That was very informative termite, perhaps you are angry that I, and others caught you lying time and time again.
termite, you are really slipping! You are coming apart!

Really? Angry? Why am I the one grinnin' and chucklin', then?

You can even find a few that agree with you. Now and then.

What, historically, has that had to say about them?

"Reading challenged" come to mind?

"Short attention span"?

"Seekers of cheap entertainment"?

....worse?

"I'm good wit' dat'"

VERY!

Come on termite, tell us about running a 50" 50hp Niles lathe making spring cuts, cutting screw threads! Ha Ha you got that out of the Atlas manual!

I find it more then just interesting, that you seem to hold a grudge against Peter Haas, for working with me in un bugging the module drive nearly two decades ago, and we both liked the Rockwell 12-14" table saw, that you call junk.
The point is, you have trashed the Monarch forum, with your jealousy over the later Monarch lathes, and others that use them.
The Monarch forum is reduced to hobbyist with very old machines, thanks to the termites method of washing out post for those who he feels is a threat.

Take it from here buggy man, I have to work, exorcise that inner reptile, then feed it a bat.

Come on termite, tell us about running a 50" 50hp Niles lathe making spring cuts, cutting screw threads! Ha Ha you got that out of the Atlas manual!

*yawn* January of 1965, a big coal-mine out in Utah finally satisfied with 3 shifts a day of rebuild work, 31 USWA machinists were laid-off at Galis. Lowest seniority guys not called back until August of '65.

I had never laid eyes on an @las until GCA '68 was passed and I figured a "portable" as could be operated inside a bathroom shower stall was better than FILES alone.

Every damned one of those men, all three shift foremen, and the Plant Manager, who had ALL come up off the shop floor, plus all those who were NOT laid-off, knew how to run those big old Niles to turn the crank pins on the ends of Joy 1CM and 11BU parts. Nothing "special" about big work. We had traveling cranes. BFD.

Your ignorance and stupidity, just about to clock age 12 at the time, has only gone downhill.

Didn't affect my paycheck then. Will never.

Anyone actually gives a damn about your foolishness is more than welcome to roll in it, sniff their own patootie, pat themselves on the back for their brilliance.

I was happy to just spend the money, learn, grow, do it again on newer things elsewhere, lather, rinse, repeat, retire and go play at greater challenges for the FUN in it!

The "money" just sorta "happened" as a by-product.

Walla Walla Whining fools had no part in the progress of mankind in general, then nor since. None. Zero.

And will never. Even if you COULD do the work? Your attitude would limit you.

So, here, you've ended-up at LESS than zero contribution as a chronic whiner, hater, blamer, liar of distraction to HONEST men, actually.

Go pound sand. Enduringly and faithfully.

If the instructions ain't on the truckload?

Ask for help. "Right here, on PM"

Back