What's new
What's new

Such a thing as a "touch to open/close" spring plunger?

S_W_Bausch

Diamond
Southco sells (I think...) what I am looking for.

MT-04-11-24 - Southco IF it has the "touch to open, touch to close" behavior.

Essentially a cartridge that resembles a spring plunger or ball detent, and pushing on the pin either releases it to raise up, or sets it in the lower position.

Just like the top of a retractable ink pen. Or a pushbutton switch, without the switch components, just the "button" that can be set "up" or "down".

As far as size, the cartridge can't me much longer than an inch, the pin/plunger could be 5/16" diameter to 1/2" diameter.

I suspect that if I cannot find them as a mass-produced item, the production cost would be prohibitive.

Genuine Southco Pin Latch Pinlatch MT 04 11 24 MT041124 36693 400 | eBay

McMaster Carr catalog 117 has been scoured, no luck.

Any ideas?

This sounds very like a mass-produced furniture part, for push-to-open, push-to-latch doors, usually with a magnet on the plunger that lightly grips a plate screwed to the door. Check woodworking supplies to see if any such thing is robust enough for you needs.

The closest thing to what you describe that I have used was the pull ring locking plungers http://www.jergensinc.com/site/sfg_...actable_plungers/pull_ring_style/group_no=519.

I think you probably are aware of these but thought I would mention them. Pull to open, 1/4 turn to lock - the ring catches in a slot, 1/4 turn to allow the spring to close. McMaster also has these. Maybe surching around using some of these names will help. I don't know what you have considered so I thought this might help spark an idea if nothing else.

This sounds very like a mass-produced furniture part, for push-to-open, push-to-latch doors, usually with a magnet on the plunger that lightly grips a plate screwed to the door. Check woodworking supplies to see if any such thing is robust enough for you needs.

Yes, that exact behavior, but no need for magnets, and I doubt plastic would be adequate.

I can always take one of those apart, see how it works its magic.

Update: I have determined the technical term for the device, "bi-stable cardioid mechanism" or summthin like that.

And Winco seems to have them, as well as a number of German companies.

I can't say who exactly makes them, but the image is the same for many of the vendors claiming it as their own.

gn514p.gif

If all else fails, I can study this page:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant-Clicker-Pen/

Back