A suggestion for dealing with hobby machinist posts - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

''A suggestion for dealing with hobby machinist posts''

Air strike - it works for President Trump.

2. Likes rons, swatkins liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As perhaps the only “amateur hobbyist” in this thread maybe a solution looks like the retail vs. wholesale model.

Are you currently working in a shop?
    Yes = you’re in
    No = not accepted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are only a couple good sites that cater to hobbyists, maybe fewer than that, and the traffic is much lower than PM. IMO, PM is the best machining site there is. No reason it can't stay that way, and still have a place for hobbyists. Build a wall and herd 'em in. Those with patience and the desire to teach can do their thing. Those that only want to discuss true professional issues still have the whole rest of the forum.

I'm a hobbyist. I've never worked for a machine shop as a machinist. For the last 45 years I've been expected to walk through the doors of a shop, make difficult and unusual parts, and walk out with the same number of digits I came in with. I know things about scientific equipment and kinematics that almost nobody else here does. I'm also completely ignorant of all manner of stuff that almost anybody working in the business would think is obvious. Everybody has something to teach (even if it's how to be a bad example) and everybody has something to learn.

5. Likes DavidR8, Kevin T, Meggab, ferretlegger, Yan Wo and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, ya know, when I just started CNC, so many of you guys chipped in to get me on-deck.
    I don't mind so much.
    It gives me a chance to send some love back, like you guys did for me.
    You grown-ups can just let us children handle them.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cant see any point to this.....if an item gets no answers ,its disappeared from the planet in a one or two days.....the only way stuff goes on forever is replies...even cursing spammers just gives the spam more air time....My take is that if you must exercise your acid wit and clever put downs ,get a job as a school teacher ,and use the gift for good.

8. Likes M.B. Naegle, mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmmm. I did do a good portion of a four year formal machinist training program in a local community college, but have never had a full time job as a machinist. Do on occasion make parts for pay- with professional level tools. I work in my shop daily on my projects and parts for friends. Am I the type of person PM is seeking? Probably not, but have gotten good information here and have tried to give back same when I know something. If it’s now tine for a guy like me to leave, kindly tap me on the shoulder? If not, how bout we all just get along?

Lucky7

10. Likes DavidR8, Greg White, ferretlegger liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nebraska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As an antique machine owner (1905 Becker horizontal mill, 1898 Fitchburg lathe) I would likely be classified as worse than a hobbiest. I don't post often, but I read posts almost every night. The introvert in me likes to read the posts, think about what they teach (at least the good ones), and use the information conveyed to build what I need.

I really don't care what machine someone is using. I like thinking about the processes involved in making a part and applying them to what I am trying to build, sometimes for hire and other times for fun. The posts that ask a seemingly stupid question I ignore. The posts that are asking about coding some CNC thing I also ignore. If I feel like I can add to a conversation I will post, if not, I will not.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wanta bee machinist

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Just make the rules clear:

1) don't say atlas
    2) don't say unimat (sherline)
    3) don't say shaper
    4) don't be an askhole.
    The brand or the size of the machine does not determine a persons ability in the craft. "It is not the machine, it's the man behind the machine". It is not whether it is a small shop in a garage that makes a journeymen. This is a discussion with a double edge sword and questions the policy without hard and fast answers. The present policy has been well thought-out and may be the best way to go.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    ''A suggestion for dealing with hobby machinist posts''

Air strike - it works for President Trump.

It worked for the RAF in WWII, as well..

14. Likes Mtndew, Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    And never say/use the word hobby.
    The worst is "home built".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While PM is focused on machinist issues, I'd like to point out that many threads pop up concerning sidelines including computer software and hardware, electrical, rigging, business management, and lots of other stuff. In my case, while still rather inexperienced as a machinist, I do have a lifetime of experience in other areas and would claim to be a world expert in a few areas, and for these areas I have provided my expertise. THUS, I would strongly recommend against some kind of test of machinist abilities....as previously stated, the current rules of filtering discussions based on machine type seems quite appropriate to me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe we should make a sub-forum for nick-nacks or Crochet projects. We could be just like Pinterest. We could also add a dating sub....

This is a good site for people like me, when we allow people that are not like me I lose interest. When I lose interest, I don't come back. I'm not saying that I alone am important enough to sway any choices, but if the majority of members simply lose interest and leave--then we lose what we have. So fuck Hobbyists.

R

18. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If we allowed only "professional machinists" meaning only those now or past getting paid to work as such we would loose people like Conrad and so many others with their wealth of brainpower and knowledge.
    At the same time we would still have the stubborn rookies who think the sun rises and sets in their ass, the grumpy guys who hate everybody and the conflicts that will occur.
    So a no-win and a sure loss.

In any group there is going to be arguments and major or minor disagreements.
    How where your holidays with the extended family? Did you have to bite your tongue or tell your better half to do so?
    We are kind of a very big family here.
    Someone will always at some point rub you the wrong way or seem oh-so stupid in your head.

Perhaps I am the mentioned "there are others who seem willing to help and encourage them" but I like to help people who do not know where they are going or getting into and have a natural tendency against a "pile-on" even if I'm not thinking the attacked is playing with a full deck.
    A hope they can learn from the mistakes I have so often made in the past.
    Maybe this is bad?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

May I quote Mr. Thomas:
    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Please read Machinery Discussion Guidelines and notice in general it’s all about the machines, not the persons experience, knowledge, or situation. Occasionally I lock a thread that is just so “Harry Home Shop” its way off intentions for here, but that’s pretty rare ... mostly it’s about the machines.
    Its all here, people. It's clear who and what is welcome and wanted.

21. Likes DavidR8, Fish On liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started in the trade at 15 years old and think I got enough crap from the professional machinists in my early years to know better than to pass it on to the next generation of machinists... I am sorry if some of you got crap also when you were starting off but I don`t see any point in thinking that passing it on is a good thing ,,

In the next month I plan to buy a new laser engraver for the shop at about $47,000 and hope when I pop off with my stupid questions I get some help and not just a batch of crap from some professional.

I get a lot from this board and think its only right that I do what I can to help others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    As perhaps the only “amateur hobbyist” in this thread maybe a solution looks like the retail vs. wholesale model.

Yes = you’re in
    No = not accepted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That'd be me out of the picture then.

Regards Tyrone.

24. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those hobbyists posts are often the most entertaining ones.

This is when you can see shit digger at it's best

And as usual, why not let the moderator do its job

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    Yes = you’re in
    No = not accepted
    You forget the money coming from advertising. Which obviously is calculated based on the number of users.

I have seen some damn good pictures of restoration work done by single person operations. I don't care what
    path they took to get where they are today.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is enjoyable to offer help to the apprentice or new guy.
    Most of my posts are aimed that way..
    Perhaps a rules check off to read at joining PM.
    -Don’t mention Hobby machines.
    -Try to make a title relevant to subject need.
    -Don’t sell stuff until you have made perhaps 12 posts.
    -Try to acquire some basic knowledge skills on your own.(perhaps read How to Run a Lathe.)

28. Likes JCByrd24, digger doug, eKretz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The key for most beginners to get along just fine is not to ask stupid questions and not to get your hackles up if someone tells you what you're doing is a bad idea.

If somebody tells me something I'm doing is a bad idea I don't get offended or angry. I ask what would be a better way to do it.