Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    As perhaps the only “amateur hobbyist” in this thread maybe a solution looks like the retail vs. wholesale model.

Are you currently working in a shop?
    Yes = you’re in
    No = not accepted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a little rough on us in the Education field. Having taught machining for 20 years in a high school is not exactly meeting either one of: Are you currently working in a shop?
    Yes = you’re in
    No = not accepted.
    Comments????
    lewie

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The original intent of this website may have been different from what it is now which is making money through adds.
    There is no way the powers that be will eliminate all the amateurs as the revenue is probably based on numbers of members.
    So how about a subforum for home hobby amateurs ?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewie View Post
    That is a little rough on us in the Education field. Having taught machining for 20 years in a high school is not exactly meeting either one of: Are you currently working in a shop?
    Yes = you’re in
    No = not accepted.
    Comments????
    lewie
    Absolutely agree with you. I was trying to pointing out the obvious challenges facing this topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rustytool View Post
    . . .So how about a subforum for home hobby amateurs ?
    That was the question posed by the OP in post #1. It seems most of the subsequent 120+ posts thereafter are in favor of leaving it as is.

5. Likes rustytool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! There is no problem that needs to be fixed. This thread is worse than a broken record. Meaningful titles, that's the clue. Enforce that and the forum member can just ignore stupid threads. There are enough amateur forums already, we don't need one here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewie View Post
    Yes = you’re in
    No = not accepted.
    Comments????
    lewie
    See next posting (#122). I'd think that those advertisers would very much want to reach your students - absolutely a key audience for their products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the transformers, phase converters, VFD forum we have this problem in a different way. Many of the questions are from people who are definitely working machinists and qualify for PM but don't know much about electricity. As Tom Degenhardt said, we may be weary of answering the same questions over and over but we should grit our teeth and keep answering. Like the other forums, it represents a total of hundreds of years of experience, much by people who designed the equipment for a living, perhaps only hobby class machinists but lifelong professionals in electrical equipment. A comparable resource would be hard to find elsewhere.

In the end, you just have to tolerate the beginners.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Thehobbymachinist
    Homeshopmachinist
    Chaski.

They have a common issue. They are full of "cliques" and they really don;t take to outsiders. JMHO YMMV BTDT

10. Likes richard newman, rustytool, 4GSR, NC Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    Chaski.

They have a common issue. They are full of "cliques" and they really don;t take to outsiders. JMHO YMMV BTDT
    Yeah, I was one of four that were banded from HM a few years ago, from a knee jerk reaction, and I won't mention a name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't post a lot. I can be an "askhole". I make a living with my manual machines and provide others with jobs. Most of my work is probably hobby levels and I wonder how any of us without multiple CNC machines really can be considered outside of the realm of hobby machining? I help when I can and have seen a few things in my years of working (I am 64 years old).

Most importantly to me is the fact that this site has a vast wealth of knowledgable people who help each other. I am super grateful of the things I have learned on this site and for the wonderful folks on PM.

I sometimes thought that with the ill feelings regarding imported machines (I have gotten crap for my lathe being built in France) might change the forum into a vintage machinery site :-). Sad tho think about. Now if I could only make enough money to buy a brand new monarch lathe...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    ... The very first part I made on my ancient Index Super 55 mill is shown in the attached photos; it is a (4" dia) boom end fitting of my own design for a client's 30' sailboat.
    Your very first part? I venture to say that NO ONE before has made such a beautiful and elaborate "first part" on any machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graystang88 View Post
    Could someone please provide the hobby sites?
    Post number one by a new member and it is how do I find a friendlier or better place to go........
    Bob

15. Likes DavidR8, dalmatiangirl61, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Post number one by a new member and it is how do I find a friendlier or better place to go........
    Bob
    Speaks volumes doesn’t it...

17. Likes CarbideBob, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Wo View Post
    Your very first part? I venture to say that NO ONE before has made such a beautiful and elaborate "first part" on any machine!
    Yan--thank you so very much. Shortly after buying my well-used mill and lathe I also bought a used Troyke rotary table and of course began collecting some bits and pieces of tooling to go with the machines. I had never run either a mill or a lathe. While I was cleaning up these old machines a client asked me to come up with a new fitting to upgrade the one on the boom of his 30' sailboat. By luck I also had bought on eBay a block of aluminum that had been fashioned into some kind of precision test fixture. Its dimensions were nearly large enough; in fact you can see where I allowed the material to dictate the flats on the sides of the rounded feature.

Because I had been an engineering designer I was already very familiar with manufacturing processes, and so had no trouble at all designing the part, and very little trouble figuring out precisely how to go about crafting the part on the mill (and a little bit of lathe work for the sheave axle--I purchased the plastic sheaves). Admittedly I stumbled around a bit figuring out feeds and speeds.

19. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Think we should...Wait! ...? What is the subject?.

21. Likes Gordon Heaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    I Think we should...Wait! ...? What is the subject?.
    Buck,
    Do you get a pay check ever week on the clock now in this field.????
    If no you should be banned as a hobby guy to a new side forum here.
    You know and I know better but where does this take us if we segregate what we once where. ....Those first days with what does that handle do and which way to turn

We all where rookies once and maybe we forget that when others blind show up with basic questions that are so obvious to us.
    Should we judge them badly if they do not know what we do know off the back of our hands?
    Is not the point of being here being able to help others even if is so very basic and hobby or production?
    Bob

23. Likes DavidR8, dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all where rookies once and maybe we forget that when others blind show up with basic questions that are so obvious to us.
    Should we judge them badly if they do not know what we do know off the back of our hands?
    Is not the point of being here being able to help others even if is so very basic and hobby or production?
    Bob, I can't remember seeing anyone who aked a reasonable question (even if it was ignorant, that's okay) and responded with further reasonable questions, get slammed.

The hobbyists that I have seen get slammed deserved it, not for being hobbyists but for being knowitalls who didn't know anything but still refused to listen.

I don't think the pushback is about hobbyism. It's about being a jerk.

25. Likes SexieWASD, Ron Hofer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    ...not for being hobbyists but for being knowitalls who didn't know anything but still refused to listen.
    You never went through that stage in life when you thought you new it all and did not listen?
    Pot calling the kettle black or is it not in your life experience?
    I've been a jerk more than once and wrong more than that so I cut some slack to others even if it seems crazy.
    Maybe God made you perfect, not me, I am full of so many flaws.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You never went through that stage in life when you thought you knew it all and did not listen?
    Yeah and I got slammed for it, too ! It's called "paying your dues" and I think it's a custom that goes way way back. Maybe it's some kind of touchy-feely defense mechanism, that keeps out the people who aren't willing to put in the effort to gain entry, I dunno.

In general, I don't think the young kids who don't know any better are the problem these days. Sure, they exist, and you can spot them easy. They are kind of naive and you go easy on them. It's the yuppy wannabe 'craftsmen' who have seen three youtube videos and now want to come tell guys who have run a lathe all their life how to do it, who get slammed - at least that's what I have seen.

28. Likes dalmatiangirl61, tdmidget, Ron Hofer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to put my observation here, as a hobbyist without the experience of most members left boot.

I took an interest in cnc and spent months of research, built my first proof of concept cnc router out of plywood, it worked! It worked, but as was expected was useless. I turned to the hobby forums and did tons more research into kit type systems in my price range of a couple thousand. I bought and built, and rebuilt, and rebuilt, and added cooling, and a laser, and built 3d printers, and quite frankly learned a heck of a lot from that, but most of that knowledge was the learn from your mistakes sort. The machines were never truly useful machines, and most of the information on the hobby grade forums is misleading, flat out wrong, or dishonest.

Now with the knowledge of my mistakes I am asking myself very different sort of questions, and those questions are consistently bringing up Practical Machinist posts, not hobby grade forums. I believe that means I'm on the right track in my progress. I can't get answers to those questions from a hobby site. If I did I wouldn't trust them.

I don't think that the problem is in asking stupid questions. It might be annoying, but not harmful overall. However there is a very real danger in giving stupid answers that would taint the integrity of this database of knowledge.

Having a separate hobby forum here would invite those stupid answers. You don't need hobbyist to feel welcome. You need hobbyist to feel like an apprentice, on their best behavior to absorb some wisdom. Asking stupid questions is just part of not having the experience that the members here have. If that apprentice can take a blunt, but reasonable response, and take the lumps for asking the stupid question and move on without starting a fight then that's someone I think is willing to learn, and shouldn't be regulated to unknowingly terrible advice.

30. Likes 9100, dazz, PDW, Yan Wo, BoxcarPete liked this post