What's new
What's new

Suggestions for drilling mild steel with air blast and without coolant

Tichy

Aluminum
Hi.

I have some issues with my machine at the moment, mainly that the pump is more or less shot and the internal coolant takes a long time to start running (if it even does.) Due to this and some others, the question.

I've drilled a lot of mild steel with air blast, but that's small drills. I routinely drill 5mm up to 10mm with solid carbide drills when the hole depth is shallow. Through holes 4.6mm 8mm deep, for example. No issues.

How big can I go? Could I do the same with an 18mm solid carbide / replaceable head one, for example? How deep would be feasible? Recommendations for feeds and speeds? To give you a ball park, the Kennametal 5mm drills I use I can run at Vc80 F0.2.

It should be noted that external coolant works okayish.

Any advice from people who have experience with this is most welcome.

(And yes of course the machine should ideally be fixed, I'm nagging my bosses about this.)

You will have to drop your SFM and probably feed to get away with this, especially if you have any deeper holes. And for carbide drills you may get into trouble with chip clearing. They rely on that through coolant from the inside out to blast the chips clear.

Hi.

I have some issues with my machine at the moment, mainly that the pump is more or less shot and the internal coolant takes a long time to start running (if it even does.) Due to this and some others, the question.

I've drilled a lot of mild steel with air blast, but that's small drills. I routinely drill 5mm up to 10mm with solid carbide drills when the hole depth is shallow. Through holes 4.6mm 8mm deep, for example. No issues.

How big can I go? Could I do the same with an 18mm solid carbide / replaceable head one, for example? How deep would be feasible? Recommendations for feeds and speeds? To give you a ball park, the Kennametal 5mm drills I use I can run at Vc80 F0.2.

It should be noted that external coolant works okayish.

Any advice from people who have experience with this is most welcome.

(And yes of course the machine should ideally be fixed, I'm nagging my bosses about this.)

No problem what-so-ever.....
Simply carry the broken and friction stir welded drills into the boss's office and explain why you missed the deadlines for your parts.

Back