What's new
What's new

Suggestions for generalized fixture for mill

Tichy

Aluminum
Hi again all.

This is a simple problem the solution to which I've pondered since I got employed at my current job.

I run a 3-axis mill. Normally speaking I have access to four vises. Also some chucks etc. It's a Doosan Mynx 750/50.

The workspace size is roughly 1500mm X * 750mm Y * 850mm Z. I feel that I rarely if ever make full use of the space.

I want to optimize this mill for mass production with a generalized fixture system. It should be able to handle both small and big workpieces. I need to be able to make this myself from material in the shop - aluminum, steel, brass, stainless, etc.

I have had many different ideas for this but I've yet to come to the point where I feel "fine, let's do this." So I'm putting the question to the community for opinions without venturing my possible solutions just yet.

It's fine if you suggest expensive fixture systems that I could just buy, but my boss probably won't buy anything expensive, even tho we've had people demoing these for us.

Why do I care? Well, I like making fixtures.

This is probably the single most important question I am addressing at work right now, because I feel if done proper it could revolutionize my production, improve my workplace environment, reduce joint stress... all kinds of stuff.

Discuss?

"Dowel & Diamond Pin" will get you 99% there.

Make your pins fit into standard drill bushings, will be that much more repeatable.

Base plate with dowels, then make your fixtures on plates that have dowel holes.
You can pull them off and put them back on and not have to worry about location.

I struggled with the cost of making vs buying for over a decade....10+ years later... I said screw it and bought chick foundations for every machine. It works for long term runs and short run prototyping.

Got dedicated jaws for the long run repeat stuff, pop a chick vise on, bolt it down pop the jaws on and off to the races.

need some prototype work or short run, we have steel top jaws for our chick vises that dowel pin on, put new ones on, cut them, and away you go.

Bigger fixtures for castings we designed around the chick foundation, same thing...drop it on, bolt it down and probe the tool ball and its ready to rock.

My vote.... buy a plate. not having it dead nuts flat will drive you crazy, I speak from experience.

Base plate with dowels, then make your fixtures on plates that have dowel holes.
You can pull them off and put them back on and not have to worry about location.
What metal would you recommend for the base plate?

My vote.... buy a plate. not having it dead nuts flat will drive you crazy, I speak from experience.
Getting it, screwing it on the mill bed, face mill the sh*t out of it? Add slots to steer the vises?

What size tapping would be best for longevity?

ya our plates are surface ground, hardened steel that doesnt get dings and nicks from dropping parts on it. facemilling always leaves tiny steps from the stepover that will measure out over a distance. not to mention, cant facemill the entire table.

Just buy one and be done.

As mentioned a large plate with diamond pins is pretty useful. Mine are 12x18” and I hold them across two vises. I made them 7 years ago out of aluminum and only wish they were hardened ground steal since I have to baby them a hair. It takes 3 minutes to throw them on including removing inside jaws from vise and aligning them by torquing on the two vises you get the X within 0.0005” over 18”. When I load my fixtures I always push forward on them as I tighten the first two hold down screws.

I would like to add 2 more bushings for removable diamond pins. With 4 on each plate I could throw two smaller fixtures on each one at a time which would be nice for heavier parts/fixtures. Make 2 of every fixture if the change over time is long enough to unload/load offline while machine runs. Handy.

Back