What's new
What's new

Suggestions for a motor or other options

lazz

Stainless
I have a Clausing 2277 drill press....
Since there is no 460 3 phase anywhere I can connect to the original motor sits quietly on a shelf about 8 feet east of the drill press. There is a 1.5 HP single phase 1725 RPM on the machine now....

Its a great drill press in near perfect condition. Yet I lust for a 2 speed and the 150 rpm it will add to the machine for larger holes.

The easiest way I can see doing this is finding a single phase dual speed 1800, 900 rpm motor.

What options am I missing.

I assume you want a dual speed motor so you can use the full 1.5HP at half speed, giving double torque?

You can use a VFD and 3 phase motor but that will provide constant torque at variable speed (cooling permitted).

Good luck finding a 900 rpm single phase motor at that power.

You could use multiple pulleys, depending on how the motor mounts but that's always a pain in the ass and rarely gets used.

Guy I know had done exactly this using the motor and controll from a high end treadmill...which he picked up off the street ......you just need to be able to identify the "good" treadmills....They are DC as opposed to the cheapies which arent..........The treadmill DC motor gives full torque over a wide rage of speed up to around 4000rpms.

Guy I know had done exactly this using the motor and controll from a high end treadmill...which he picked up off the street ......you just need to be able to identify the "good" treadmills....They are DC as opposed to the cheapies which arent..........The treadmill DC motor gives full torque over a wide rage of speed up to around 4000rpms.

You can buy big DC treadmill motors from surplus center for pretty cheap. I have several. Just make sure the FLA and HP ratings match. If they don't add up toss them in the trash with the 115V 5HP compressors and 6.5HP shop vacs.

If you want the torque of the 1.5 hp motor at half the speed just replace it with a 3hp and a 3 hp VFD. At half speed you still have 1.5 hp. I have even replaced a 3/4 hp motor with a 3 hp on a VFD to get the torque needed at 1/4 speed. An advantage to this approach is that the larger motor won't overheat with the cooling fan running at half speed because the motor and fan are both larger.

Most vfds have at least one set of switched terminals that allow you to power a cooling fan whenever the motor is running. The fan runs at full speed at all times. A simple computer case fan is often used.
Bill D.

Most vfds have at least one set of switched terminals that allow you to power a cooling fan whenever the motor is running. The fan runs at full speed at all times. A simple computer case fan is often used.
Bill D.

Temperature controlled fans are also cheaply available should a particular VFD not have that function.

I have a Clausing 2277 drill press....
Since there is no 460 3 phase anywhere I can connect to the original motor sits quietly on a shelf about 8 feet east of the drill press. There is a 1.5 HP single phase 1725 RPM on the machine now....

Its a great drill press in near perfect condition. Yet I lust for a 2 speed and the 150 rpm it will add to the machine for larger holes.

The easiest way I can see doing this is finding a single phase dual speed 1800, 900 rpm motor.

What options am I missing.

Hi Lazz,

Just to confirm - the current two speed motor is only 460V? I ask because the current Clausing 2277 drill press catalog says:

Two Speed Infinitely Variable Speeds: 150-2000 rpm 1-1/2 - 3/4 Hp
2-speed, 3-phase, 220v* , drill press part number 2276
2-speed, 3-phase, 440v* , drill press part number 2277

*Motor, 11⁄2-3⁄4 hp 1800/900 rpm, 60hz. SPECIFY VOLTAGE—When voltage is not specified, motor will be wired on lower voltage.

http://clausing-industrial.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/Clausing_Drill_Presses_pages_2019-01.pdf

But I do not know what vintage of 2277 you own. I suspect earlier ones may be single voltage.

At 900 rpm motor speed it is only putting out 3/4 HP. So using a 3 phase 1.5 hp 1725 rpm 3 phase motor + VFD at 900 rpm will give about the same torque at at 2 speed motor at 900rpm motor speed. But if you swap motors, you probably will want to use a motor with the same shaft and frame size. It is easier if you do not need to make shaft adapters for the Reeve's drive motor pulley.

I want to thank everyone for the replies.

A single drum switch for everything isnt looking good.

I may look around a little more.

But under a bench on the east side of the shop is a 2 HP 3 phase motor and on the west side is a shelf with a VFD.
I could add a potentiometer and a tach.

Hmmm this might work...

You do not really need a tach. I just figure in my head the HZ as a percentage of 60 and multiply base rpm times that percent. I round it off but I do not really need an exact number anyway, do you? 30 hz for the biggest drills 60 for small ones and in between for the in between sizes.
Bil lD

Just where, precisely do you need to live or travel to in order to see these threadmills "on the street"? I have never seen even a single one at the curb, high quality or low.

I have done both the big-motor-with-VFD and the DC-motor-from-treadmill thing, the latter on a drill press. Both ways work. The best way to implement a DC motor setup for a drill press, however, is to get one with a tachometer output and control it with a proper control. I think the pinheads call that a servo loop. Very good control under varying loads, full power even at very low RPMs etc. It's really great to just turn a knob to vary the speed. Plus, with the center step sheave out of the way (and the motor sheave mounted upside down) and just one belt, the machine vibrates much less.

The problem with VFDs happens when the VFDs break. I got about 10 years out of my first TECO 3hp VFD. Not to happy about that.

metalmagpie

Just where, precisely do you need to live or travel to in order to see these threadmills "on the street"? I have never seen even a single one at the curb, high quality or low.

You've never lived in the middle class part of town?

Not uncommon to see treadmills, weight sets, stationary bikes, etc out at the curb on trash day. Heck, I just helped a neighbor pick up a NordicTrack brand elliptical from someone who just wanted it out of their house but didn't have the strength to move it.

The issue was resolved a little over a month ago.
Thanks to everyone for their input...

A single Phase transformer and VFD pretty much fixed it for right about $125 new wiring included.

The VFD ended up in an vulnerable area. So it got a screen around it to keep broom handles and other objects away.
Its really nice to turn the speed down for those large drills.

Now to make the vises stay in place.... :)

Without pictures it didnt happen.

20201207_132952.jpg

20201207_132947.jpg

20201207_132914.jpg

FYI that little 5 KVA transformer is a true hernia maker... :(

Lazz: Had you ever think about having the original motor rewound for a lower voltage? I bought a Cincinnati Monoset that had a 440 volt single speed motor. I took it to a motor shop and they installed a different set of windings for 240V three phase.
JH

Lazz: Had you ever think about having the original motor rewound for a lower voltage? I bought a Cincinnati Monoset that had a 440 volt single speed motor. I took it to a motor shop and they installed a different set of windings for 240V three phase.
JH

Having the motor rewound was the first thing I tried. In the past after asking around to get references I have left motors with 2 shops and returned after not getting a call for months and got back my dusty untouched motors. I was unable to find a shop that was interested in reworking a 3 phase motor.

There must be a shop around here. But I couldnt find one.
Shipping on a 80 pound motor kinda kills the option of having the work done out of town.

I did watch several motor rewind videos on youtube... The videos I watched implied you need dirt floors, bare feet and the ability to squat to down to the ground to work on 3 phase motors. And since an incorrectly rewound motor could lead to sparks, molten metal and open flames... That puts me reworking a motor out because "Not burning down the house" is one promise to the wife I plan on keeping.

I saw a topline treadmill out in the street just before christmas......her indoors is looking too as we drive past......."Dooooont even think about it"...last effort was I see a nice lawnmower out on the street....even has a free sign on it....shes like"if you go back for the mower ,Im walking out on you".....promises ,promises......yeah ,I got it ,works good .....just like the others.

I thought I was in the middle class part of town. Perhaps it is a local thing. Or perhaps our city does not pick up such large items. But no, they will pick up a whole tree if it is cut up in pieces. So that can't be it.

Perhaps the other scavengers wake up earlier than I do.

You've never lived in the middle class part of town?

Not uncommon to see treadmills, weight sets, stationary bikes, etc out at the curb on trash day. Heck, I just helped a neighbor pick up a NordicTrack brand elliptical from someone who just wanted it out of their house but didn't have the strength to move it.

Back