What's new
What's new

Suggestions needed for a sprocket job

gi_984

Aluminum
Morning,
Had customer call me up asking for a quote to modify a 40A 15 sprocket. Quantity is 50 pieces. Material is 1045 steel and black oxide finish. Supposedly only the teeth are hardened. Has a plain 1/2 center hole.

He wants a 3/4 inch hole with a keyway and two set screw holes 90 degrees from each other.

The OD of the sprockets are approximately 2.7 inches and are about .284 thick.

Opening up the hole to 3/4 inch and putting the keyway in seems straight forward enough. But I've never dealt with a thin sprocket. Especially without a hub. I'm concerned the hardening of the teeth extend down to the gullet where I will put the set screws.

How would you tackle this and what would you charge?

IME that's one of those ''you don't know what you'll have until you get it'' jobs ............you best chance is to ask for a sample or a the machining instructions / parameters for the actual make and model of sprocket you will be using - then hope they're all the same.

In your shoes I'd be very very wary about what I was taking on.

I'm confused..a 'A' plate sprocket has no hub so what are you putting setscrews in, not to mention, what good is a keyway in a skinny plate sprocket with no hubs. I guess I'm lost in space.

Stuart

Yeah, it was a real head scratcher for sure. Which is why I was asking here. Customer is a local distributor. I e-mailed him to check with his buyer and get more specifics.
Guess what? It is a double sprocket with the hub (DS40 A15). That is obviously a different animal and much easier to deal with!

I've always dealt with Martin Sprocket or Lynn Gear and it was always cheaper in the long run to have them bored, keyed and set screws installed at the factory. I guess your deal is a bit different.

Stuart

That's better :) in your shoes I'd allow for boring a set of (preferably full circle) soft jaws for boring the sprocket itself, .........I know from hard won experience, ''funny things'' can happen boring sprockets, and none of them good for accuracy.

Back