What's new
What's new

Suggestions on rigging for an auction ending tomorrow

Aykfc

Aluminum
I have never purchased machines online but found a government auction that has an 800 pound engraver I might be interested in. It's 24x48 footprint. Unfortunately, I just found it and it ends tomorrow. The rigging/freight is handled by the buyer and has to be removed in 5 days. It's in Alabama and I live in Scottsdale AZ. Anyone have any suggestions on riggers and approximately how much it might cost to prepare it and the freight. Not sure how long in advance they might need either.

call Joey at Speialized Equipment 909 591 0851 they move a lot of equipment, it's all they do, and they do it well.

I have never purchased machines online but found a government auction that has an 800 pound engraver I might be interested in. It's 24x48 footprint. Unfortunately, I just found it and it ends tomorrow. The rigging/freight is handled by the buyer and has to be removed in 5 days. It's in Alabama and I live in Scottsdale AZ. Anyone have any suggestions on riggers and approximately how much it might cost to prepare it and the freight. Not sure how long in advance they might need either.

C & M Rigging is here in town. Hands down the best machine riggers in the greater phoenix area and they have the reviews to back it up. They've moved out Hermle's a half dozen times as well as every new machine we've ever brought in. They have also done work for employees here who have equipment at home.

Very reasonably priced, very quick, everything always done right.

MJ

C & M Rigging is here in town. Hands down the best machine riggers in the greater phoenix area and they have the reviews to back it up. They've moved out Hermle's a half dozen times as well as every new machine we've ever brought in. They have also done work for employees here who have equipment at home.

Very reasonably priced, very quick, everything always done right.

MJ

But how much is travel time worth to go to Alabama to do the actual rigging?

Unless its a really expensive machine (or you really want it bad), unless it sells really cheap its probably not worth fooling with. Probably cheaper to bid it, if you win fly to Alabama, rent a uhaul truck, and drive it home.

If its a military auction, they provide the loading, unless you specifically want to pay a rigger. Sounds small enough for a forklift to pick and place. So you can call a trucking co and have them pick it up.

if it's on a pallet, or can be put on a pallet, and the auctioneer is willing to forklift onto a truck I'd look at something like U-ship.com

You have the choice of specifying whether you want covered or open transport, and if your not in a hurry to get a relaxed timeline.

That would be the cheapest way to go.

You don't have much time to get this organised, some of the U-ship bids are predicated on whether the shipper is in the area, or whther it's on a common route for somebody, they may not bid if they can't make it in 5 days, or may bid higher if they need to make a detour.

I've shipped a few motorcycles (to me) using U-ship and I leave very open timelines for pickup (upto a month) and timelines for delivery (again upto a month) to get the best prices.

But how much is travel time worth to go to Alabama to do the actual rigging?

I don't suspect they would do that, mostly likely they would use their network to find someone to get it on a truck, and get it to their yard here in phoenix. From there they would bring it out to you.

I'm not saying its worth your time/money.

It's a 60000 dollar machine new. 12 years old, they usually sell 10000 plus. It's at a university so it doesn't sound like they will be doing anything except opening the door and have the buyer handle it. Auction doesn't have it described very well so if I could snag it dirt cheap it might be worth it. It's just this headache. Three previous government auctions I found for same model in last 6 years had it sell for under 2000 on 2 of them and the other sold for 8000 or so. Machine has some parts like the spindle that was removed but it's in the picture. It's still on the stand in the picture and it is a very heavy machine.

It's a 60000 dollar machine new. 12 years old, they usually sell 10000 plus. It's at a university so it doesn't sound like they will be doing anything except opening the door and have the buyer handle it. Auction doesn't have it described very well so if I could snag it dirt cheap it might be worth it. It's just this headache. Three previous government auctions I found for same model in last 6 years had it sell for under 2000 on 2 of them and the other sold for 8000 or so. Machine has some parts like the spindle that was removed but it's in the picture. It's still on the stand in the picture and it is a very heavy machine.

Maybe U-Ship isn't the best option......

Bid it like you want it, and get ready to buy a plane ticket:)

Know any young adventurous college kids? I've lost count of how many I've sent out on a retrieval/delivery, they always made it back and did it for less than anyone else, and have great stories of the adventure:D

For a high dollar machine I would be taking a trip out there. When you ship it do not use a LTL shipper. Ship it freight direct. Freight direct means that it gets loaded on to the truck at its pickup point and doesn't come off the truck until it gets to its final destination. Much less of a possibility of it being damaged in transit. Here is a couple of numbers for freight brokers.

Al Jarosz
Pioneer Transfer
402-564-3390 Ext. 221

Chad Warren
Advanced Transportation
541-770-1525

A broker can set you up with a partial load going freight direct. I've used them in the past to ship machinery.

Bid it like you want it, and get ready to buy a plane ticket:)

Know any young adventurous college kids? I've lost count of how many I've sent out on a retrieval/delivery, they always made it back and did it for less than anyone else, and have great stories of the adventure:D

Seconded.

Someone mentioned a fine Cazeneuve HB 575 lathe that was nearly destroyed in shipping by bad seller preparation + Yellow Freight?

By contrast...my Cazeneuve HBX-360-BC arrived home without so much as dirty fingerprints. I wear riggers gloves, y'see.

:)

One way air down. One-way Penske back.

Stayed overnight. Got to meet the seller. Interesting guy, interesting collection of Schaublins and Deckels.

Took a "truck tour" of Dogpatch by the Sea, and general area.

Basically made it a relaxing mini-vacation instead of a wearying chore.

YMMV

Back