What's new
What's new

Suggestions for securing plexiglass in slot

chuck L

Plastic
Hello.
I have been trying to come up with a method of securing plexiglass in an aluminum slot. The aluminum piece is 1/2" thick and the slot is as shown in my image.

My problem is really the plexiglass as I can control with width (4") but I cannot
control thickness. The manufacturer states the thickness can run from .224 to .248 / run. The plexiglass size is 4" X 5.2" X .224 -> .248.

I am trying to make it so the plexiglass does not "flop around" in the slot yet it can be fairly easy removed and reinstalled.

I have considered small set screws but I don't want to use 4 to keep the width fairly even and if I use 2 it will push the glass to one side.

I have thought of inserting "wedges/spacers" in the radius ends made from rubber or foam type material but I think it too much hassle to make them.

Suggestions welcome

Thanks

New Bitmap Image.jpgNew Bitmap Image.jpg

set screw driven wedge/gib
Common for holding paper drawings an edge clamp sort of affair.

There must be a hundred or more ways to do that.

You have those half round openings on each end. A small screw and nut with two washers, one front and one on the back, would secure it and could be easily removed.

You could make your insert longer to actually fit the oval hole and have the ends extend further, into the surrounding aluminum with a Vee shaped protrusion. A small milling cutter would cut matching Vee slots in those ends. The insert would snap in and out with a bit of flexing.

Extend the above idea to a Vee all around the insert. The fit is kind of like the lenses in a pair of glasses: snap in and snap out. The angle of the Vee would control how easy or hard that in/out process would be.

Bevil or slot the aluminum and the insert and make a silicone grommet that fits all around. Again, it snaps in and out.

Friction fit.

Many, many more

These might do the trick. Used in woodworking for a slightly different reason (to handle seasonal expansion/contraction) but might be the cheap and easy way to pin down your panel. Many brands/types out there, this is one. Search on "wood panel door spacers" for more

Spaceballs | Spaceballs

I was going to suggest same thing. I used to do a lot of raised panel work and used 3/8" 18 gauge brad nails to keep the panel in place. One nail centered at the top and one nail at the bottom. This was the traditional way we did it. I have heard of Space balls but haven't used them myself. Sounds like it may work for the OP.

One drop of silicone caulk ,centered top and bottom. Dab a lubricant like petroleum jelly in the center ,top and bottom on the panel. Install the panel. The panel can be removed when the caulk sets up. The caulk should stay in place for re-installing. The lubricant can be cleaned off if needed.
Similar idea to space balls in previous post.

volume, one, ten, thousand?

visual? structural?

Is it ridiculous to mill the edges of the plexi to thickness?

I think set screws might eventually crack the plexi

They make rubber edging
McMaster-Carr

widen the slot to make it snug, should have enough compliance to take any actual material thickness

You could trim the rubber after installation to make it disappear

You could slot the whole part with one set screw to tighten it on the plexi

Make the slot .220" wide. Mill the edges of the plexi .215". If you can't buy it to spec, make it to spec.

The key question here is how much extraction force must the panels withstand and how much temperature variation is there? If they are simply a drop-in application where gravity assists in holding the panels in place, space balls or the like are the key. If they are to withstand pressure and impact forces, then the answer is more interesting.

Denis

I am trying to make it so the plexiglass does not "flop around" in the slot yet it can be fairly easy removed and reinstalled.

A line of hot melt glue on edge of plexiglass. Insert plexiglass using a simple fixture to center the insertion. The glue should not be
noticeable.

Back