What's new
What's new

Sunnen external hone. Anyone using?

Mebfab

Diamond
Have to finish a couple shafts, very straight, round, polish finish.

Anyone using the sunnen external hones? Anything special about them? Seem very expensive for a fancy hinge!

I have three sizes, can hone from .120 to 1.500
Very Nice. Real easy to feel .0001. Finish depends
on which stone you use. Not going to straighten a
bent shaft or remove a lot of material but size and
finish they do well.
spaeth

They work well.Watch your grit size or you cause your self a lot of work trying to remove the cross hatch with emory paper. I also noticed a lot of heat built up in the part.Use a lot of care if you have to hold a close tolerance on an o.d..

I recall RENTING one from Sunnen several years ago. I bought the stones (consumed several) and paid a very reasonable fee to use and then return the hone. My case was to o.d. size several pieces of aluminum tubing. Non repeating job so rental worked fine. No idea if Sunnen still does this, but sure worth a phone call.

I recall RENTING one from Sunnen several years ago. I bought the stones (consumed several) and paid a very reasonable fee to use and then return the hone. My case was to o.d. size several pieces of aluminum tubing. Non repeating job so rental worked fine. No idea if Sunnen still does this, but sure worth a phone call.

I worked in an FAA repair shop. One day I was given a job to make bushing for and aileron jackscrew, I looked at the print and there was aa call out for concentricity and these things are like 6 feet apart. I told the foreman that I couldn't do it be cause of that and that an airplane with over 25000 hours certainly could not be concentric if it ever was. After thinking this thing over they called Sunnen and rented a piloted hone and it was a piece of cake. I left .005 on the ID and we honed it to size and concentricity. It worked so well that they called Sunnen and Asked "how much?" and bought it.
My experience is that Sunnen customer service is likely the best there is these days.

Have to finish a couple shafts, very straight, round, polish finish.

Anyone using the sunnen external hones? Anything special about them? Seem very expensive for a fancy hinge!
Yes they are crazy expensive...even used. There's a reason; they work!

I got lucky & and my mentor gave me one some years ago. It's the smallest one Sunnen makes & it's been used on a ton of 1/4" & 5/16" tight-tolerance shafts in my home shop. I needed to do some 17mm shafts & was horrified at the prices so I built this modified pivot handle & 2 more "biscuits" for it. I'm too lazy to re-post the details so here's a link to the thread on HSM if anyone's interested. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/72215-Modified-Sunnen-External-Hone?highlight=sunnen

Back