What's new
What's new

Sunnen honing oil for hardened 52100. Which one?

Laverda

Cast Iron
I called Sunned twice yesterday and once today. Each time I get the tech support answering machine and they have not called back.

The question is for 52100 hardened to Rockwell 62, what is the best choice for honing oil. They sell thirteen different kinds and don't give a lot of useful advice on their website. I will be honing .0015" out of a 1.8" ID sleeve with P28A65 stones.

I have MB-30 oil in the machine now. Is this the best choice or??? The part is expensive so I can't make any mistakes with honing it. I have never honed 52100. The surface finish is very important!

I believe you will be fine with MB30 oil. The oil is always best if it is fresh, or the additive used when needed.
Removing .0015" does not sound like much, but its enough to adjust things to get it right, I would hope.

I made a bunch of needle bearing races out of 52100 a while back and that is what I used. Same hardness and the honing went pretty quick. I was taking .005" out.

MB-30 is their general purpose stinky oil. It works well for almost everything. I'd certainly pay a lot of attention to getting or making truing sleeves at the diameter you want to hone. Selection of stone is most important. Do you need a specific surface finish or just something better than "x"? For a really fine finish I'd probably not use the aluminum oxide stones, maybe silicon carbide. OTOH, to hit a specific value for oil retention or something, aluminum oxide might well be the right ticket. Always develop your process on dummy parts first!

That oil will be just fine. If you have a lot of parts to do and you are using a single stone mandrel, consider getting a metal bonded borazon stone. The are not cheap, but they cut fast and seem to never wear out.

The part has the 52100 sleeve pressed in to in to it and will be acting as the outer race of a roller bearing. SO besides being perfectly round it needs the proper finish. The stones I am using should give me a finish of 10RA. The part is expensive so scrapping any is not an option.

MB30 is a good choice but I see you are from California. If you are south of Bakersfield you can not buy or use MB30 legally because of AQMD regulations. In that case buy Sunnen's SHO965 honing oil, SHO965 is formulated to meet the requirements of the AQMD. It preforms as well or better than MB30 and smells better. SHO965 and MB30 can be mixed.

The A65 stone will be OK for one or two parts but it will be slow going. If you have a large quantity of parts you will need a CBN stone.

Back