Sunnen mandrels SL series vs PL series
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sunnen mandrels SL series vs PL series

I am trying to expand my mandrel selection in the range of 1" to 2" diameter for through holes (enlarging bushing type things). The Pl series ones are expensive on ebay (about $100 each) the Sl ones are cheaper ($60). What is the functional difference? Is it only a replaceable shoe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "SL" style mandrels have not been available for 40 years. There are several style mandrels that replace them they are all with replaceable shoes. What type of parts are you going to hone, how long are the holes? Actually the "PL" mandrels are now called "P28".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are just honing an occasional bronze bushing or an aluminuum part, SL mandrels will work. They are diecast pot metal but will last a very long time with only occasional use in soft materials. Only thing replaceable in them is the stone. Stones are still available from several places.

PL mandrels are steel bodies with replaceable shoes and can be configured in several ways. PL mandrels are available with 2 up to 5 stones depending on the length of the parts you are honing. Shoes and stones are current production at Sunnen and are available. The stone selection is extensive depending on material. Yes they tend to be more expensive than the SL mandrels but there are some good deals on ebay compared to the cost of new from Sunnen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

40 years is a long time, I probably don't want those. I am enlarging holes in steel parts that are up to 2-1/2" long. I guess I'll keep looking for P28 mandrels.