What's new
What's new

Sunnen MBB 1600 sump

Lanso

Cast Iron
Does this belong in a Sunnen MBB 1600 sump? It's been in there for years and I don't see that it does anything.IMG_2678.jpg

I always considered it a sediment trap but I never saw a way the oil drained into it without modifying something, that's why I wonder if it belongs in there at all.

It is a sediment trap, and it goes under the "drain pipe" for the tray. My MBB 1600 EMS has the same part. The pipe may be missing from the tray to the tank.The 1600 is the last all cast iron standard horizontal hone, and has a nifty speed system.

I always thought the "drain pipe" should empty into the sediment trap in question but my drain pipe goes from the tray to an elbow to another pipe straight down to an inch or two from the bottom of the tank. The sediment trap will not fit under this long drain pipe unless maybe it didn't go straight down and I rotated or shortened it.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM???????? sounds to me like - one way or another that drain pipe has to discharge in to that sediment box.

FWIW ;- IME coolant discharge & drain pipes that go below the level of the ''catch pond'' are bad news as air locks can occur.

I decided to clean our main sump one time and it weighed a ton. It seems the lathe man threw all his bad parts in there thinking no one in their right mind would ever look in that tank.

I hope this doesn't count as hijacking the thread, but does anyone know what the three letter code after the model number designates? In my case the code is JIC.

I hope this doesn't count as hijacking the thread, but does anyone know what the three letter code after the model number designates? In my case the code is JIC.

It stands for "Joint Industrial Council". It is electrical standards set up by machine tool builders for building machine tools. Your machine will conform to the standard in place when it was built.

It stands for "Joint Industrial Council".
Thanks very much for that. Since it is part of the serial number I thought it must be a code for the specific configuration or options that were part of the machine when it left the factory. Not unlike how the three places in a, say, 'J57' stone denote the specific properties of that stone.

Back