What's new
What's new

Granville Senior Lathe

Stones Cycles

Plastic
Hey there folks, my name's Jake new to the forum, I'm not exactly sure how it works around here yet.

I just picked up a nice Granville senior lathe. The lathe itself needs a good paint job, however has been used very rarely it seems, no slop in it. I have plans of putting different odds and ends onto it.

I would like to try and find a proper wedge type quick change tool post. Currently has an earlier style quick change (forgive me I don't know the names for everything) that is easy enough to do.

A larger concern of mine is that this machine is a metric machine. I am being told that the Granville senior takes the same gearing as a myford super7. I also read that the super7 comes with imperial gearing, or atleast can come with.

My question is, with the info I have, is it possible to turn this one into imperial along with the cross slide? I plan to use it in my shop building custom bike parts, alot of which are imperial bikes. Will the super7 gearing work? Does anyone make or has made gearing for the senior specifically that is imperial? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I also would love to find an internet copy of the manual just to have and reference. I am not missing anything on mine, however it will be getting a rewire and cleaning for now. I also have glass drip Oilers on the way for the main bearings.

Thanks everyone!

Are you certain that it's metric? Are the cross-slide & top-slide dials marked in mm?

A search turns-up a few references describing "inch" models of the Granville and the use of the usual 127T gear for metric threading but no reference to a "metric" Granville; they appear to be as British as roast beef in adhering to inches.

A calculator helps in working in both inch & metric systems; it's not terribly difficult.

Single-point threading is really the only lathe function that is either inch or metric; a lot of small-diameter threading in the lathe is done with taps and dies that can be either system.

Are you certain that it's metric? Are the cross-slide & top-slide dials marked in mm?

A search turns-up a few references describing "inch" models of the Granville and the use of the usual 127T gear for metric threading but no reference to a "metric" Granville; they appear to be as British as roast beef in adhering to inches.

A calculator helps in working in both inch & metric systems; it's not terribly difficult.

Single-point threading is really the only lathe function that is either inch or metric; a lot of small-diameter threading in the lathe is done with taps and dies that can be either system.

Hey Planner power thanks for the reply! From what I can tell it is entirely metric, that is all that it offers on the threading chart plate. However I may be wrong as I do not have alot of experience using a lathe! I'll do some more researching. My hope is I run into someone using a senior lathe to pick their brain a bit and see what's a good thing to do what's not.

I have discovered that Myford offer metric cross-slide etc screws for the ML7; even a metric change-box.

I didn't know that.

Your Granville must have been fitted with those parts.

As I said earlier, it probably won't matter as you will use taps & dies for most small work.

My son is a dedicated mountain-biker; the last tool that I made for him required an M8 fine tapped hole and that was simply-done in the lathe with a tap.

Tip; you will find a spring-loaded tap follower very useful for this kind of work; likewise a tailstock die-holder.

You can check the various screws against a steel rule-if imperial the crests will count so many threads each inch,with Granville it will probably be 8 threads each inch on the rule. If metric each thread will count Xmm.

Back