What's new
What's new

Surface finish on a shaper

HappyWyo

Aluminum
We are having to use a floor sander to get a finish that is required on these 14" by 4'anvils. We tried everything we could think of to get a smooth surface. High speed tooling ground in every configuration possible. We also tried our CNC with a large face mill with inserts. The shaper is nicer, a little better finish and we can set it and walk away. The anvil is soft, maybe a36 or 1018. We need an almost mirror finish. Using 180 grit sandpaper to finish. Any ideas?

Run the finish pass with a facemill at aluminum SFM and it will be shiny.

I have never seen anything planed that was shiny.

180 grit is real far from mirror finish.

Slow feed, fast stroke, heavy cutting oil already used. Will try cobalt. Thanks Hope all is well up in Montana.

The 180 grit must have the points worn off first then make the finish pass. We have tried every possible feed and speed on the mill and still had to sand.

Shear ground hss tool. 45deg side rake (look up in old texts) almost flat face with only a few thou convex. Set with feeler gage to avoid gouging. 5-10 thou feed, slower stroke. Good cutting oil. Seems counterintuitive, but works well. Only prob is tool needs rehoning frequently. If cutting cast iron hard spots will destroy edge quickly, on soft A36 you’ll be fine. Needs a rigid shaper- don’t try with little South Bend….

Stiill will be far from a ground finish.

L7

Cincinnati shaper, tried with similar grind but will double check and try again. Thanks for the post.

Sir,
Are the anvils 4 x 14 inches or really 4 foot x 14 inches? I never heard of a 4 foot stroke Cincinnati shaper.

Anyway, borrow,build,buy or steal a tool post grinder for your shaper for the finishing.

Good luck,

Bob....not the cat.

Tool post grinder for the shaper. Good call.I believe we may have one laying around somewhere. Thanks

The shaper keeps it flat. The sanding is minimal as I said the sandpaper is 180 grit and that is the roughness of the anvil when it is removed from the shaper. I really like the idea of incorporating the grinder on the shaper. My son bought a couple of add on grinders a couple of years ago. If they won't fit I will build one. Probably won't be faster but I can set it and walk away.

What are you using to finish the tool edge? You need a fine edged tool to get the finest possible finish. A mirror or near mirror finish on the cutting tool would be ideal if you want the best possible tooled finish. Lucky7 is on the right track. He's basically describing a "broad-nosed" finish but with a much lighter feed. A 63μin RMS or better should be easily possible. If you need a mirror finish you will probably need to grind or polish regardless.

Take a heavy piece of nice flat metal at least 15inch by 4,5 feet
glue emery cloth on it
Place your anvil on top of it
Set it all up in front of your shaper Short stroke and slowest setting on the shaper and a connection rod from shaper to anvil
Then let the shaper slide your anvil to and fro

Peter

Ekretz:
I always finish my tools with a wet stone. Something I learned as a boy from my dad. I hope your right about lucky 7. Thanks.

What are you using to finish the tool edge? You need a fine edged tool to get the finest possible finish. A mirror or near mirror finish on the cutting tool would be ideal if you want the best possible tooled finish. Lucky7 is on the right track. He's basically describing a "broad-nosed" finish but with a much lighter feed. A 63μin RMS or better should be easily possible. If you need a mirror finish you will probably need to grind or polish regardless.

Take a heavy piece of nice flat metal at least 15inch by 4,5 feet
glue emery cloth on it
Place your anvil on top of it
Set it all up in front of your shaper Short stroke and slowest setting on the shaper and a connection rod from shaper to anvil
Then let the shaper slide your anvil to and fro

Peter
Peter I don't think you understand. The Anvil weighs a quarter ton. Further if the sanding was just back and forth the grit would leave lines. But thanks for taking the time to respond.

Back