Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are making a lot of these parts you could invest in a rotary lapping table where you lay the parts concave side down and lap one side just using the weight of the part. Than grind the second side on a magnet. We have done this on many of our parts. Piston rings for auto cylinders are often ground this way.
    Google "Rotary Lapping Machines" like this: Lapmaster 24″ Open Face Lapping Machine – Longoria Refurbished Equipment
    Last edited by juergenwt; 02-19-2020 at 05:51 PM.

2. Likes Stang Bladeworks liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by juergenwt View Post
    If you are making a lot of these parts you could invest in a rotary lapping table ...
    Damn, Juergen ! Sometimes the obvious is too obvious, grazie ! Finally a real reason to buy a benchtop lapper. Stang, you oughta do this, it's perfect !

4. Likes Stang Bladeworks liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    If I read your post correctly, you are liquid nitrogen cooling the blades after quench and before temper? If so, that would be a no-no for most steels.
    I am no steel expert but I did research this particular steel and that seems to be the best practice. The reason to cryo asap is to reach max hardness and minimize retained austenite. There is a greater risk of cracking but so far I have been good. I immediately flash temper after this. I am shooting for a high hardness and uniform / fine grain structure. I am happy with my current protocol for this steel.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by juergenwt View Post
    If you are making a lot of these parts you could invest in a rotary lapping table where you lay the parts concave side down and lap one side just using the weight of the part. Than grind the second side on a magnet. We have done this on many of our parts. Piston rings for auto cylinders are often ground this way.
    Google "Rotary Lapping Machines" like this: Lapmaster 24″ Open Face Lapping Machine – Longoria Refurbished Equipment
    Hopefully one day...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Damn, Juergen ! Sometimes the obvious is too obvious, grazie ! Finally a real reason to buy a benchtop lapper. Stang, you oughta do this, it's perfect !
    Talk about slow and long cycles... here it is. A last resort machine and hopefully only a few thou or few tenths stock.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Talk about slow and long cycles... here it is. A last resort machine and hopefully only a few thou or few tenths stock.
    Bob, he makes five a month. Wants to get up to 20. Only has two hands. Benchtop lapper takes a tiny amount of space and is mostly self-tending. Throw five blanks on, three days later take them off and throw on another five ... and no fiddling around on the surface grinder.

I'd be out there looking already

9. Likes eKretz liked this post