What's new
What's new

Survey about workspaces from a college student

CAWagner

Plastic
Hello, I'm college student studying Industrial Design and Manufacturing Systems Engineering and working in a machine shop. I'm designing workspace/shop lighting and I've put together a survey in order to research the problems to be solved that are relevant to the design. The survey is open to both professionals and amateurs and is a linked Google form - it's 9 questions, you don't have to give it much time, and if you are willing to participate I'm grateful.

The survey can be completed at this link:
Google Forms: Sign-in

I have no idea if this kind of thing is acceptable to post here, forgive me if it is not.

Edit: A new version of this survey now exists without the need to sign in - use this one if you do not want to sign in, use the first one if you are okay with signing in and are willing to upload images.
Workspace Survey

Last edited:
Hello, I'm college student studying Industrial Design and Manufacturing Systems Engineering and working in a machine shop. I'm designing workspace/shop lighting and I've put together a survey in order to research the problems to be solved that are relevant to the design. The survey is open to both professionals and amateurs and is a linked Google form - it's 9 questions, you don't have to give it much time, and if you are willing to participate I'm grateful.

The survey can be completed at this link:
Google Forms: Sign-in

I have no idea if this kind of thing is acceptable to post here, forgive me if it is not.

Your linky makes us "sign in"...aint gonna happen

Requires you to sign into google

Looks like sales spamming

Legit surveys often use survey monkey, no need to sigh in or ID yourself.

Workspace Survey
This is a survey for professional and amateur machinists, woodworkers etc. about their workspaces and the lighting in them. The purpose is to understand lighting and ergonomic problems in order to design better lighting.
The name and photo associated with your Google account will be recorded when you upload files and submit this form.

What do you do?
Machining
Woodworking
Automotive
Welding
Prototyping
A variety
Other:
Select what applies to you:
Professional
Amateur / home shop
1. A. What is your favorite place to work in your shop?
1. B. Could you describe this part of your shop? What do you like about it?
1. C. What is the lighting like in this part of your shop?
2. A. Where in your shop do you get the most done?
2. B. Could you describe this part of your shop?
2. C. What is the lighting like in this part of your shop?
3. A. Where in your shop do you go if you have to do something with especially fine detail or high stakes?
3. B. Could you describe this part of your shop?
3. C. What is the lighting like in this part of your shop?
4. A. How do you deal with temporary, lighting-related problems? Do you ever use a flashlight/portable light?
4. B. If you use a portable light, where do you place it when in use? To what does it attach? Does it hang? Does it use a magnet?
5. Where is the best lit space in your shop and what do you do there most frequently?
6. Where do you put down tools you are immediately using? Do you ever bring portable surfaces near?
7. How is the lighting in your shop?
Great: insignificant shadows, right lighting level
Good: some shadows or lighting level a little off but overall effective
Not Good: serious problems with shadows, lighting level or something else
Inconsistent: lighting effectiveness totally inconsistent throughout the space
8. (optional) Attach some photos of your shop: in particular the places you described in questions 1-3 and your overall lighting.
9. (optional) Did these questions leave anything out? If so, what else about your space and lighting could be informative to shop lighting design?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of NJ Institute of Technology. Report Abuse
Google Forms

Thanks for posting the questions, that could be helpful. For clarity, this isn't sales related at all. I'm not going to be able to make money off of this. The sign in was for optional image uploads, and responses are anonymous. A second version of the survey without sign in exists here: Workspace Survey

Requires you to sign into google

Looks like sales spamming

Legit surveys often use survey monkey, no need to sigh in or ID yourself.

Workspace Survey
This is a survey for professional and amateur machinists, woodworkers etc. about their workspaces and the lighting in them. The purpose is to understand lighting and ergonomic problems in order to design better lighting.
The name and photo associated with your Google account will be recorded when you upload files and submit this form.

What do you do?
Machining
Woodworking
Automotive
Welding
Prototyping
A variety
Other:
Select what applies to you:
Professional
Amateur / home shop
1. A. What is your favorite place to work in your shop?
1. B. Could you describe this part of your shop? What do you like about it?
1. C. What is the lighting like in this part of your shop?
2. A. Where in your shop do you get the most done?
2. B. Could you describe this part of your shop?
2. C. What is the lighting like in this part of your shop?
3. A. Where in your shop do you go if you have to do something with especially fine detail or high stakes?
3. B. Could you describe this part of your shop?
3. C. What is the lighting like in this part of your shop?
4. A. How do you deal with temporary, lighting-related problems? Do you ever use a flashlight/portable light?
4. B. If you use a portable light, where do you place it when in use? To what does it attach? Does it hang? Does it use a magnet?
5. Where is the best lit space in your shop and what do you do there most frequently?
6. Where do you put down tools you are immediately using? Do you ever bring portable surfaces near?
7. How is the lighting in your shop?
Great: insignificant shadows, right lighting level
Good: some shadows or lighting level a little off but overall effective
Not Good: serious problems with shadows, lighting level or something else
Inconsistent: lighting effectiveness totally inconsistent throughout the space
8. (optional) Attach some photos of your shop: in particular the places you described in questions 1-3 and your overall lighting.
9. (optional) Did these questions leave anything out? If so, what else about your space and lighting could be informative to shop lighting design?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of NJ Institute of Technology. Report Abuse
Google Forms

I will use survey monkey next time; this is my first survey. I'm sorry if it appears to be sales spam.

I filled it out. The questions were a little odd, but very thought provoking. It was nice to be asked about some of the lighting issues at my place. Doesnt seem a lot of engineer types ask end users what they think. He is off to a good start.

Seems to me you're trying to re-solve a solved problem. Paint walls and ceiling white and install sufficient overhead light and there are no lighting issues. That's as fundamental as running your shop air system.

Back