UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use a hand tool and sleeves from McMaster

I agree, whip the ends with a nylon braid twine or waxed twine

Scotch +88 electrical tape will also hold from one season to the next. Do a final wrap in 33 White to finish

Loads encountered in this set up would be handled fine with handpress, I use 3632T13 and buy everything from McMaster

Enjoy sailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To answer the OPs original question a 18 to 24 ton press probably could work on 1/8 stainless fittings on 7/19 cable. We did shop made thin wall stainless fittings on galvanized 7/19 cable and they would break the cable and not pull off when tested. The dies will be the trick though, we made our own of A-2 and D-2. They were mounted on a die set. The grooves were polished as well as the radius on the edges. On a lower production basis the dies will need to be piloted otherwise they can shift, dies that do not line up will tend to shear the finished result.
    Last edited by FredC; 07-13-2018 at 09:05 AM.

5. Likes dsergison, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    To answer the OPs original question a 18 to 24 ton press probably could work on 1/8 stainless fittings on 7/19 cable. We did shop made thin wall stainless fittings on galvanized 7/19 cable and they would break the cable and not pull off when tested. The dies will be the trick though, we made our own of A-2 and D-2. they we used were mounted on a die set. The grooves were polished as well as the radius on the edges. On a lower production basis the dies will need to be piloted otherwise they can shift, dies that do not line up will tend to shear the finished result.
    Thank you very much for the info.

I would have though the dies would self align, and I will try to use 1/2 hard 4140 I have on hand. I certianly had planned to radius the edges. I can certainly harden them and dowel them or such if need be. I will probably have to use a different press than I planned.

I should have just ordered them from Bosun Supplies. I have a quote which was not that much more than the materials. I'm more stubborn than smart sometimes.

7. Likes JohnEvans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WE did thousands of these fittings with full hard dies. Never tried it with half hard. As you swage these down with multiple hits the fitting will get harder, not sure if it will approach the hardness of 1/2 hard 4130.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I spent all of 5 min making dies from some 17-4 ph laying about. Simply drilling holes through two clamped blocks and using burr wheel. Not hardened.

I made the dies pretty short because my air/hyd press is only 10 ton and I doubted I could close the entire length at once on the 1/8" fitting It would not have, 10 ton was just barely enough for 3/4" ength. it would have take 20tons or more.

It worked best rotating 60 degrees between hits. 90 seemed to push the seam back and forth never really getting round but rotating 60 was very round in just 3 hits

Thanks.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

11. Likes digger doug, J.Ramsey, JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure you could buy it done cheaper....but your learning & developing some tooling to do it again later.

Nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually I saved about $100 over Bosun Supplies. Getting 5 cables done for $100 rather than $200
    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Sure you could buy it done cheaper....but your learning & developing some tooling to do it again later.

Nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can not tell how you keep the dies aligned in your press but there are different ways to skin a cat. I bought some hand crimpers for fencing. The first set worked pretty good even though it was made in China. After they were stolen the next set of Chinese crimpers were so misaligned they almost cut the ferules in half. So alignment is important however you do it. If you do a lot of these you may want to harden your 17-4 and polish the working surfaces. I went to the dentist and your already finished, I have clean teeth and you have a working set of dies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I upgraded from this mess with key ring and pins and plates to just an eyelet. It's so much nicer.

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very nice sir.

Now let's work on getting you some more tonnage.

Maybe a fabricated press frame with 30 tons eh ?

Around here 2 post die sets (used) are cheap (under $50)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The US Navy used to be very fond of having small separable items kept in the immediate area by stainless cable. They never ever used thimbles. I know - I used to put those things together. It was a nice break from for example grinding overhead.

Many years later I built a lot of stainless cable railings and those had fittings from the marine world. In my opinion they looked very clean, even elegant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dsergison View Post

It worked best rotating 60 degrees between hits. 90 seemed to push the seam back and forth never really getting round but rotating 60 was very round in just 3 hits

Thanks.
    That's exactly how it is done for industrial wire rope work- snotters and strops etc. Presses are routinely 300 tons.
    Testing and statistical analysis allows makers to certify a working load rating for a known crush without destructive testing. In your case, race it until it breaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many ends do you need to swage? I have a Wireteknik A200 and 1/8" dies. I'm about 100 miles from you, but I'd be willing to let you use it. I've never tried to swage an eye, but I've probably got the right hook for it somewhere.