What's new
What's new

Sweet condition Toyo ML-210 Lathe questions

dzarren

Plastic
Hello, I just bought this Toyo ML-210 lathe. I had been looking for a micro lathe for some time, and this was a good find for me. Unfortunately it does not have the automatic feed, which I would really like to have. I got a good deal on the machine because he told me there was auto feed, but when I got there, it was either missing or was never there.

I bought the machine, and when i took it home the condition was super super spectacular. It was purchased in Christmas of 1987 at Busy Bee tools in Canada. It apparently was used a single time in 1987 to turn some aluminum, and then put away back into the box since then.

I have been scouring the web, trying to find sources for purchasing these accessories for the lathe, and have been out of luck. I certainly cannot find any of the original Toyo parts, but i did find this Korean site that has all the accessories listed for the MANIX ML-210 lathe, which i believe is identical.

I think I'll have a bunch of questions, so I'll put them in bold so they can be easily referred to.

MANIX machine tools

They have this picture which shows all the accessories, but there hasn't been any way to contact them, but surely the parts are being produced somewhere?
120851581_10157707241961732_550632851381101240_n.jpg

I'm most interested in the Auto feed attachment, as well as the taper turning attachment. If any of you guys know where I could source some of these, I would be very interested.

I was thinking of making something myself for the auto feed, I dont think i would be trying to replicate the original design, i think it is worm and wheel, and gets power via a pulley. I think I would be doing something like a stepper motor directly coupled to the lead screw, with a pot and some programming to adjust its direction and speed.
I would be open to any other suggestions as to how to get auto feed on this machine! I don't really think I would need the thread turning attachment, or the capability to turn threads, I will mostly be using dies, or threading on other machines.
But I am interesting in being able to have some kind of auto feed.

The tail stock is a truncated Morse taper 1. The lathe came with a dead center, and I was able to find a live center, and i ground off the skinny end of the taper to match the needed length, so I now have a small live center as well.
I am looking for a drill chuck for this lathe, and MT1 small drill chucks are readily available on amazon and similar. None of them are short tapers, they all have the full 3 inch taper.

Is grinding the taper to length my only option? I didn't feel super guilty doing it to that old live center i found, but it might hurt a bit more doing it to a brand new chuck and taper, especially because I have another machine that takes MT1. But if this is the only way, i don't mind doing this.
I will be grinding off the tang though, so will this be a problem? The chuck will only be held in the tailstock via friction, is this enough for this size of machine?

And my last question (I think) is if any of you guys know of a suitable quick change tool post for this machine? I'm not super sure on what I need to look up, or what specs i need to follow to find a suitable tool post.

And now here are some pictures of my machine.

Oh one last thing, What is a suitable oil for the moving parts of the machine? I do use way lube on my other larger machines, but I am not sure that's the best option for this small machine. I was thinking of using STARRETT Tool and Instrument oil, but perhaps this is too thin for this application? Maybe i should just use way oil for the ways? This machine will be mostly indoors, and i do have the smell of the TONNA 32 I have.

Maybe I need a couple different types of oil? I have squeaky cleaned the lead screw, but do not know what I should use for this. Does the fact that it is not acme, but is a V-thread, make a difference as to what lube I should use? And I assume i would use the same thing for the tailstock feed as i would for the lead screw.

Also I am not sure what to use for the scroll chuck. I won't use anything thick or grease like, but is the STARRETT instrument oil sufficient for lubrication? I will be using the STARRETT oil for anywhere that just needs rust protection and not real lubrication.

Anyway some pictures. These are before I cleaned the machine, but you can tell the condition is remarkable.

120877237_10157707217081732_2761268760001424018_n.jpg

120832125_10157707217116732_7355544355672906538_n.jpg

120845081_10157707217161732_1447323903781469107_n.jpg

120842277_10157707217216732_3282598707244809228_n.jpg

The following picture is of where the auto feed attaches and drives the lead screw. I was thinking of coupling to it directly with some kind of speed controllable motor.

120825972_10157707217266732_2684682479863395689_n.jpg

Thanks for reading if you got to the end, I know I asked lots of questions.

The taper attachment is just a compound slide and does not look too hard to reproduce.

I think you are on the right track with looking for a motor to drive the end of the leadscrew. Works for Hardinge! I think you could do worse than to look at the stepper or servo motors with a gear reduction built into the output.

I think the only quick change toolpost that would fit that machine is either an Aa size multifix or the smallest size of tripan. Both very expensive but there is a Chinese company making pretty good multifix copies.

Mt1 will grip fine with no tang but it will be tough to eject gently. I would just cut the tang in too. Doesn't have to be spectacular.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hello, I just bought this Toyo ML-210 lathe. I had been looking for a micro lathe for some time, and this was a good find for me. Unfortunately it does not have the automatic feed, which I would really like to have. I got a good deal on the machine because he told me there was auto feed, but when I got there, it was either missing or was never there.

I bought the machine, and when i took it home the condition was super super spectacular. It was purchased in Christmas of 1987 at Busy Bee tools in Canada. It apparently was used a single time in 1987 to turn some aluminum, and then put away back into the box since then.

I have been scouring the web, trying to find sources for purchasing these accessories for the lathe, and have been out of luck. I certainly cannot find any of the original Toyo parts, but i did find this Korean site that has all the accessories listed for the MANIX ML-210 lathe, which i believe is identical.

I think I'll have a bunch of questions, so I'll put them in bold so they can be easily referred to.

MANIX machine tools

They have this picture which shows all the accessories, but there hasn't been any way to contact them, but surely the parts are being produced somewhere?

I'm most interested in the Auto feed attachment, as well as the taper turning attachment. If any of you guys know where I could source some of these, I would be very interested.

I was thinking of making something myself for the auto feed, I dont think i would be trying to replicate the original design, i think it is worm and wheel, and gets power via a pulley. I think I would be doing something like a stepper motor directly coupled to the lead screw, with a pot and some programming to adjust its direction and speed.
I would be open to any other suggestions as to how to get auto feed on this machine! I don't really think I would need the thread turning attachment, or the capability to turn threads, I will mostly be using dies, or threading on other machines.

The tail stock is a truncated Morse taper 1. The lathe came with a dead center, and I was able to find a live center, and i ground off the skinny end of the taper to match the needed length, so I now have a small live center as well.
I am looking for a drill chuck for this lathe, and MT1 small drill chucks are readily available on amazon and similar. None of them are short tapers, they all have the full 3 inch taper.

Is grinding the taper to length my only option? I didn't feel super guilty doing it to that old live center i found, but it might hurt a bit more doing it to a brand new chuck and taper, especially because I have another machine that takes MT1. But if this is the only way, i don't mind doing this.
I will be grinding off the tang though, so will this be a problem? The chuck will only be held in the tailstock via friction, is this enough for this size of machine?

And my last question (I think) is if any of you guys know of a suitable quick change tool post for this machine? I'm not super sure on what I need to look up, or what specs i need to follow to find a suitable tool post.

Oh one last thing, What is a suitable oil for the moving parts of the machine? I do use way lube on my other larger machines, but I am not sure that's the best option for this small machine. I was thinking of using STARRETT Tool and Instrument oil, but perhaps this is too thin for this application? Maybe i should just use way oil for the ways? This machine will be mostly indoors, and i do have the smell of the TONNA 32 I have.

Maybe I need a couple different types of oil? I have squeaky cleaned the lead screw, but do not know what I should use for this. Does the fact that it is not acme, but is a V-thread, make a difference as to what lube I should use? And I assume i would use the same thing for the tailstock feed as i would for the lead screw.

Also I am not sure what to use for the scroll chuck. I won't use anything thick or grease like, but is the STARRETT instrument oil sufficient for lubrication? I will be using the STARRETT oil for anywhere that just needs rust protection and not real lubrication.

Anyway some pictures. These are before I cleaned the machine, but you can tell the condition is remarkable.

The following picture is of where the auto feed attaches and drives the lead screw. I was thinking of coupling to it directly with some kind of speed controllable motor.

Aaaaaw how cute....I could pull it out of my H.S. locker, tuck it under my arm and take it to shop class....:skep:

I think this LSO might violate the sticky rules up top, maybe/maybe not.

Aaaaaw how cute....I could pull it out of my H.S. locker, tuck it under my arm and take it to shop class....:skep:

I got a catalog and price list from a Toyo Distributor back in the early eighties, and they were substantially more expensive than many of the other options out there, though commensurately better quality too. Pretty high end stuff, when you consider that the whole 'chinesium mini-lathes' thing had not happened yet to the world.

Probably fit on the cross slide of my Monarch CY with lots of real estate left over.

It's a toy and not really worth discussing. There must be a forum for Sherlines, tiny Emco Unimats and similar out there.

PDW

It was not designed to be a toy, rather to make camera parts.

Toyo, Manix, Saki & Proxxon lathes

It more closely belongs in the forum for Lorch, Levin, Leinen, and cute little Mikrons.

Some of us make small parts. The 10ee is great, but it gets to my back to be hunched over it for a couple of hours, especially now that I have to change glasses between looking at the part and the display. Also it’s a pain to have to tape butcher paper to the machine in case you drop a part, otherwise it’s gone.

I got a catalog and price list from a Toyo Distributor back in the early eighties, and they were substantially more expensive than many of the other options out there, though commensurately better quality too. Pretty high end stuff, when you consider that the whole 'chinesium mini-lathes' thing had not happened yet to the world.

So this is the thing they copied to make the HF 9 x 12 ?

Must be the paint......

Nope they "roughly" copied the Emco compact 8 but forgot to add in what Emco did, some actual quality and precision. Emco Compact 8 Lathe & Clones The Toyo's were and are fairly good and maybe a step up from the Emco compact 5 machines. Still light years from a Schaublin or Levin tho. The story I read that may or may not be correct is the owner started producing them simply because he couldn't find anything on the market at that time at the size and price he was willing to pay.

Nope they "roughly" copied the Emco compact 8 but forgot to add in what Emco did, some actual quality and precision. Emco Compact 8 Lathe & Clones The Toyo's were and are fairly good and maybe a step up from the Emco compact 5 machines. Still light years from a Schaublin or Levin tho. The story I read that may or may not be correct is the owner started producing them simply because he couldn't find anything on the market at that time at the size and price he was willing to pay.

So they copied a toy, I have used a Emco compact 8. It is a toy. I call it a L S O

I'd agree, comparing even the Emco 8's to a real lathe such as a Monarch, L&S etc. But they did sell a lot of them, although I'd much rather have had one of there Super 11's. The off shore copies are a far worse junk LSO toy by most standards of anyone here.

I'd agree, comparing even the Emco 8's to a real lathe such as a Monarch, L&S etc. But they did sell a lot of them, although I'd much rather have had one of there Super 11's. The off shore copies are a far worse junk LSO toy by most standards of anyone here.

I used to use a Emco V13 nearly daily. It is amazing they came from the same company, the V13 is so good and the C 8 is so bad....

I used to use a Emco V13 nearly daily. It is amazing they came from the same company, the V13 is so good and the C 8 is so bad....

My FIL has a genuine Compact 8. I'd have to agree, they're not much of a lathe. Maybe OK for small brass and aluminium things but not much more.

I've got a Maximat 11, totally different animal indeed. That is a nice machine.

PDW

MANIX machine tools

You asked this a long time ago so may have already sorted yourself out.
Look at Proxxon, as they are another name for the company you mentioned, and may be more easily sourced for parts.

I have a Toyo ML1 (the precursor to yours) and it’s a beautiful little machine.

Sounds like you got yourself a nice little lathe, I hope you’ve enjoyed using it.

Back