What's new
What's new

switch for Johannson Mill

1QWK96GT

Plastic
Good afternoon everyone,

I have an older Johannson mill. I got it used at an estate sale. it has a standard 110v household plug on it. My issue is the switch on the mill spins the spindle one direction. When I throw the switch the other direction nothing happens, no spinning. Could the switch be bad or maybe its wired up incorrectly? Pic below for reference of what my switch looks like. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks, Switch.JPG

That looks like a pretty standard drum switch. Not much to go bad in those so that would not be my first guess. Take the cover plate off and see if everything is at least connected. Check on the motor end to see if everything is connected there as well. This may sound stupid, but check the nameplate on the motor to see if it can be reversed. Someone in the past may have swapped out the motor with just something they had on hand. It could of course be wired wrong. I have seen more then one person get confused with the wiring on a drum switch.

Thanks guys! I will update later my findings. This switch goes two ways forward and reverse. Forward works but when I throw the switch to reverse literally nothing happens. I assume something is wired wrong but Im no electrician :)

Never saw the motor run reverse. Good question. How does one find out if the motor is capable of running both directions?

I've run into similar problems where the issue was that the drum switch was a 3-phase switch that someone tried to use in a single phase application. They both have the same number of terminals, but the way the switch bridges them is different.

The motor is a single-phase capacitor start motor.

It is not obvious from the nameplate if this motor is reversible, but that kind of motor can usually be reversed, given the correct kind of drum switch. How many terminals or leads does the motor have? There may be a connection diagram somewhere. Or, search by the motor make and model.

The motor is a single-phase capacitor start motor.

It is not obvious from the nameplate if this motor is reversible, but that kind of motor can usually be reversed, given the correct kind of drum switch. How many terminals or leads does the motor have? There may be a connection diagram somewhere. Or, search by the motor make and model.

This is the motor terminals:
IMG_5491.jpg

I'll agree with digger
The colored wires under the incoming may be a clue, but without the motor wiring diagram , a possible crap shoot or smoke stack

Not-so-fast.....

If he adds more wires, and the motor can be reversed, he might be able to get reverse. What I am seeing at switch and motor is only going to give him single direction rotation, so his switch is just fine, nothing is wrong with it. As for the colored wires under incoming wires, I'm guessing someone put new leads or centrifugal switch in it, he will have to tear motor apart to figure that out.

Back