What's new
What's new

Switch rod not engaging lathe's magnetic contacts.

TNCL Weldfab

Plastic
Good day gents,

As the title says; the switch rod is not engaging the magnetic contacts on my single phase / 220V 14 x 40 engine lathe.

When I manually press either the fwd & Rev magnetic contacts, the motor and the lathe functions.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Please note:

-I just moved the lathe from one shop to another, it was fully functional before the move.

- I bypassed the switch/safety guard during evaluation of the problem.

- The emergency stop button was tested and is functioning properly.

- I removed the cover and manually pressed the NO and NC roller levers that are activated by the switch rod. No action from the motor.

- Unfortunately, I placed the lathe very close to the wall and I will have to move it out to get a better look at the controls enclosure.I was hoping to get some insight before doing so.

On my Harrison m300 the cam is just set screwed to a shaft. On mine the cam had rotated a bit relative to the shaft. This meant the switch had been rotated by some previous owner around a bit to stay symmetrical to the cam.
Unfortunately I did not know this when I gutted the controls to install a VFD. So now every time I open the control cabinet I see the cockeyed switch. I did wonder why is was about 10 degrees off of vertical but I just made a bracket and installed it the way it came to me.
Bill D

On my Harrison m300 the cam is just set screwed to a shaft. On mine the cam had rotated a bit relative to the shaft. This meant the switch had been rotated by some previous owner around a bit to stay symmetrical to the cam.
Unfortunately I did not know this when I gutted the controls to install a VFD. So now every time I open the control cabinet I see the cockeyed switch. I did wonder why is was about 10 degrees off of vertical but I just made a bracket and installed it the way it came to me.
Bill D

Interesting. I’ll keep an eye out for that.

Back