What's new
What's new

Synthetic oil in air compressor?

Last I checked, Ingersoll recommends their own synthetic and offers an extended warranty when used with new compressors. Doesn't prove that the oil is actually better, but it implies that synthetic should be OK.

I was under the impression synthetic oils had lower lubricity and film strength but better oxidation resistance than mineral oils. A compressor has none of the high temps or combustion byproducts so it would be an application where mineral oil performs better.

It's a recip. Any non-D 30wt is fine.

Having said that, I am running SYN50 in my speedaire recip because I bought a bunch of it for my bike...

For screws, they all recommend synthetics.

One catch that I found about synthetic is that you don't wunna leave'er sit too long.
Like long term storage...

I bought a low hour screw compressor that had been sitting for a few years, and what an ordeal we had gitt'n this heifer back in service! The front seal to the head leaked like a sieve, and all check valves were stuck in the position they were when shut down, and it seems like we even needed to clean off the temp probe for the overheat shutdown.

Good grief!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Do they make a synthetic non-detergent oil? If you do not have an oil filter you should be using a non-detergent oil shouldn't you?
Bill D

...The front seal to the head leaked like a sieve, and all check valves were stuck in the position they were when shut down, and it seems like we even needed to clean off the temp probe for the overheat shutdown.

Good grief!
I hear that. My Atlas Crapco is on it's 3rd air end in under 1500 hrs. :(

Synthetics can attack rubber seals and gaskets, especially equipment that's 15+ years old.

Nuther thing is on a recip there is always some blow-by, so that oil can get into the air lines and potentially cause problems with other equipment.

My recip hasn't run in over a year, I should drain that SYN out of it and put in some non-D 30wt.

I have ran Royal Purple synthetic compressor oil in my Quincy recip. for a couple of years now, with no issues.

Previously ran the Quincy brand standard compressor oil, and it did fine as well.

The only thing I have noticed about the synthetic oil is that it has "wetted" the crankcase gaskets and such, appears to have wicked through just ever so slightly, with no apparent harm.

The compressor is outside under a roof, and that's the main reason I wanted to go with a synthetic oil --- frigid cold weather doesn't thicken the synthetic like it will non-synthetic oils.

ToolCat

Last I checked, Ingersoll recommends their own synthetic and offers an extended warranty when used with new compressors. Doesn't prove that the oil is actually better, but it implies that synthetic should be OK.

Quincy does the same thing. Buy their 'service kit' with filters and house-branded synthetic oil and the warranty is extended by a significant amount.

I think synthetic would be fine.
You do have to be careful with the oil used in an air compressor. The wrong oil can enter the tank as a combustible gas under pressure. The tank can become one large combustion chamber. It happen at a car wash
killing the employee.

I have run Mobil 1 5-30 in my recip compressor for 8? years now with no issues, same as what the cars take so I always have it around. The only thing I noticed is the oil stays clear in the sight glass where the non synthetic would go dark within 2 months of an oil change.

I've had a number of mechanics tell me (for engines) that if you have an oil leak, or are close to having one, synthetic oil will leak more (or start the leak). I believe that.

I had a very well known engine builder (race cars) tell me synthetic was a lot harder to keep out the combustion chamber....it was so 'slippery' it was hard for the oil rings to scrape off the cylinder walls.

As for the compressor...I dunno!

Back