T-nuts for Kurt swivel base
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default T-nuts for Kurt swivel base

I have a Kurt swivel base for my 5" Kurt vise that I would like to use, but I need the nuts that mount the vise to the swivel base. It looks like I can buy them for about $50, and I am willing to pay. I was just wondering if there was a cheaper alternative. I don't mind machining something, but these don't look like ordinary t-nuts. In fact, Kurt lists them as "special nuts". They definitely look special, and not something I want to make if I can get them for $50. I just want to know if there is a cheaper alternative. Any recommendations?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are probably not going to find them elsewhere. How long does it take you to make $50?, can you machine them quicker than that? ( probably not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Link or pic of the nut?

Nevermind found em, just buy em lol

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

probably heat treated high strength steel used which adds to cost.
    some would make with 4140 prehardened and figure good enough for their needs. and yes depending on how fast you are it might take you over 1/2 hour to make. not sure how valuable your time is.
    its like making nuts and bolts. most buy already made rather than try to make themselves

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am sure there are things I don't have that I would need to make that little piece that goes in the slot. I know I couldn't make them cheaper, not even going to consider it! Here is the best picture I have found.
    kurt-5-8-dia-swivel-base-vise-bolts.jpg

But I have seen other swivel bases like this one that use a a much simpler connection.
    https://www.glacern.com/photos/swivel_base_01.jpg
    The more I think about it, there is probably a reason the ones with just a simple nut and bolt are a fraction of the price of a Kurt. I guess the right part is the right thing to use, so I'll just spring for the original part and be done with it. Thanks for setting me straight, y'all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I assumed t-slots would be the same in all their swivel bases. I downloaded the specs off Kurt's website and the slot in the 6" swivel base is 0.060". My swivel base slot is 0.555". Then I saw that the smaller 4" vise uses a totally different nut that looks much more like a regular t-nut, but clearly not ordinary. Unfortunately these 5" vises and bases are discontinued and rather uncommon. I was hoping I could just order the nuts for the 6" base, but it looks like I will have to call Kurt on Monday and see if they will fit first. They don't offer parts on the website for the 5" base anymore, so my fingers are crossed that they even have them available. If not, looks like I might have to make my own after all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pelle View Post
    The nut does not look so special, especially for $25 each. It would not be hard to get a few pieces off the shelf and make them.

Or maybe if I was you, go down the boulevard and win $50 in a poker game.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That stamping is naught but an adapter; a slot size they like to cut, coupled to a narrower bolt they can buy.
    Copy the dimensions and make from solid.

9. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just turn a pair up from square bar stock or cut a could of lengths of flat, drill and tap them and put some studs/bolts onto them, to fit the T slot. The bent tin piece looks to be a 'clever' way to stop the bolts from chattering when you move the vice around the base.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With the standard nut, after a lot of years use, the vise was damaged due to the small contact area. Same goes for the t nuts for the compounds on lathes.

I made new ones with a longer contact with radii that matched the inside and outside. It took opening up the bottom hole a bit to allow the new nut to go in.

Both spin a lot easier now. I think the ones for the lathe were about 2 1/2 inches long. vise was only about 1 1/2 long.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Kurt swivel base for my 5" Kurt vise that I would like to use, but I need the nuts that mount the vise to the swivel base. It looks like I can buy them for about $50, and I am willing to pay. I was just wondering if there was a cheaper alternative. I don't mind machining something, but these don't look like ordinary t-nuts. In fact, Kurt lists them as "special nuts". They definitely look special, and not something I want to make if I can get them for $50. I just want to know if there is a cheaper alternative. Any recommendations?
    I made a pair of curved t-nuts to replace the cheap ones Kurt sells......I wanted better clamping? I made the nut as big as possible and still be able to pass through the opening in the base!

Kevin

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at the photo that you posted, I see:

A standard, square head bolt,
    A standard hex nut,
    A thick washer,
    and
    A rather crude, sheet metal contraption that is bent into the shape of the "Tee" of a standard Tee bolt.

You do not have to make that complicated, sheet metal contraption. It is simply a cheap way for a manufacturer to create the Tee head on a standard bolt. Well, probably cheap for mass production anyway. And it is probably not even as strong as a standard Tee nut or Tee head bolt.

I would think you could turn the thing upside down and use a bolt and a standard Tee nut. Tee nuts come, ready made in a lot of different sizes and are sold with tables that list all of the dimensions. If I were you I would take some careful measurements of the dimensions of the Tee and look in a catalog, like MSC's.

If you find a Tee nut that fits, then your local hardware can probably supply all the rest (hex bolt and washer).

If you don't like the idea of turning it around, Tee bolts are also available but probably not in as many different sizes. However, it would not be hard or time consuming to trim one down to fit.

Is it worth it? Only you can say.

I am sure there are things I don't have that I would need to make that little piece that goes in the slot. I know I couldn't make them cheaper, not even going to consider it! Here is the best picture I have found.

But I have seen other swivel bases like this one that use a a much simpler connection.
    https://www.glacern.com/photos/swivel_base_01.jpg
    The more I think about it, there is probably a reason the ones with just a simple nut and bolt are a fraction of the price of a Kurt. I guess the right part is the right thing to use, so I'll just spring for the original part and be done with it. Thanks for setting me straight, y'all.