What's new
What's new

T(?) studs, where do I find these

sigurasg

Aluminum
Hey y'all,

I bought a gently used Taiwanese 5" compound angle vise the other day. It's cleaning up well, except that the studs on the circular base were totally stripped out.
PXL_20210726_205048637.jpg
These are probably a retrofit, as I believe they're the only imperial hardware on the vise. Looks like 1/2"-13, 1.5" tall with a turned base. 1" at the widest, 3/4" at the narrowest.

Are these a standard item I could buy off the shelf someplace?

Siggi

Last edited:
Are these a standard item I could buy off the shelf someplace?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I guess I'll need to measure the slots and see how wide the stud needs to be at base so as not to rotate in the slot. Maybe I can mill down regular 1/2"-13 T-slot bolts or square head bolts to a suitable size.

I was surprised to see these stripped out like this, I can't imagine locking the circular base warrants that level of gorilla-torqueing the nuts?

On a tangent, the vise has a tag saying "GS Taiwan" and it's a 3 way compound with 5 inch jaws (or maybe 125mm). I've done some searching to try and find any kind of information on the manufacturer, parts list or some, but so far I've come up empty.
Anyone know who would have made those or where I might find a parts list (for my curiosity)?

Maybe I can mill down regular 1/2"-13 T-slot bolts or square head bolts to a suitable size.

I turned some replacements this afternoon, just went by the same dimensions as the horked hardware. I guess we'll see how much gronk it needs to hold tight in use.
I still don't think this is original as e.g. the screws holding the jaws in place are M8.

I turned some replacements this afternoon, just went by the same dimensions as the horked hardware. I guess we'll see how much gronk it needs to hold tight in use.
I still don't think this is original as e.g. the screws holding the jaws in place are M8.

Well I sure hope you used metric threads on the ones you made, it would be tragic if it was not all metric!

Back