What's new
What's new

Tap handles: Schroeder, Gedore, or someone else

DanielG

Stainless
I need to get a bit larger of a ratcheting tap wrench, up to M12 or 1/2". I've been very happy with Schroeder in the past. I see Gedore also makes some and I've heard they make nice tools. Has anyone used the Gedore? Any others I should consider?

I've not used their ratchet tap wrenches BOTOH I've never had anything bad from Gedore, furthermore I've seen their wrenches etc take extreme abuse ** but not fail dangerously.

That Sami might have been on the other end is complete slander :D

Not ratcheting, but the Starrett 91 series tap-wrenches are amazing. Really expensive, but spoil-you nice to use.

The 91D goes up to 1/2" easily. I wish they made a bigger size as well.

Not ratcheting, but the Starrett 91 series tap-wrenches are amazing. Really expensive, but spoil-you nice to use.

I've looked at those when it's time to replace my crappy t-handle wrench. Unfortunately, I often do holes up near an upstanding leg, so I need the sliding handle at a minimum; ratcheting makes it easier.

I'm not much of a Starrett fan, but have to agree their solid tap handles are niiiceee. :cloud9:

I used to have these, pretty nice for the price > https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05041629

Starrett sweet like candy wrenches > https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00265371

Gear-Wrench offers tap holders that fit into 1) a ratcheting T-handle or 2) one of their pass-through ratchets, AND are compatible with the extensions used with their pass-through sockets.

My set is one of the earlier made-in-Taiwan models, and has worked very well for taps in the 1/4 to 1/2 inch range but I find it too massive for #10 and smaller taps.

+1 for the Gearwrench big T-handle and chuck. I also picked up a smaller size chuck made by them but they don't seem to have a T-handle for that size. They do have a die holder for the big one.

Am I the only one who doesn't like ratchet tap wrenches, ........I know there are times when nothing else will do, but I far prefer non ratchet be they bar or chuck type as I think they give me more feeling / feedback.

Am I the only one who doesn't like ratchet tap wrenches, ........I know there are times when nothing else will do, but I far prefer non ratchet be they bar or chuck type as I think they give me more feeling / feedback.

They aren't my first choice either for sure. I generally start with a simple tap wrench or a guided wrench then switch to something else to crank away on the tap. I have a half of a vidmar drawer of tap holding devices and think every machinist should.

" I have a half of a vidmar drawer of tap holding devices and think every machinist should. "

Ain't that the truth. Adjustable T handles from 0-80 to 1/2", 3 adjustable ratcheting T handles, tap sockets for a ratchet wrench, fixed size T handles (one tap shank diameter only), straight handles from 3" long to 21 inches long (a beautiful C&D Co with color case hardening), tap extensions, screwdriver style tap wrench, tap followers of several different sizes...

And then there's die holders....

I find I use the ratchet feature less than half the time. Luckily with the Schroeder the locked position is pretty tight and it feels like a regular tap wrench. Where I've found the ratchet to be invaluable is when you're close to an upstanding wall. It lets you use the handle in the center position, where it's easy to apply a pure moment. Without the ratchet, the handle would hit the wall unless you slide the handle to one side or use a socket and a normal ratchet.

Back