What's new
What's new

tap type for extra deep threads

Bill D

Diamond
I need to tap 3/8-24 about 1/4" longer then a conventional tap flute length. An extended or pulley tap does not solve the problem. I have seen a few taps that would pass through the threads they have cut or at least are reduced diameter for a short length after the cutting flutes end. Is there a special name for this type of tap. I do not have a boring bar small enough to single point this on the lathe.
Bill D

If you were to under cut the tap on the lathe with ceramic , would that work?
Or spin in it in a drill in front of the bench grinder.

Your relief needn't be pretty, though uniformity can be important for stress mitigation.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

With this style of tap: McMaster-Carr It's a DIN standard (I think), and McM has other styles than this one. As it's a cobalt steel, if you grind it try to vacuum the swarf away with a good HEPA filter to avoid breathing any of it.

Sometimes you'll get the length you need from the relief, or can use the relief as a "safe zone" to ensure a grind or cut with carbide or CBN doesn't damage the actual thread geometry.

I've cut taps with regular carbide inserts - they won't be usable for regular work afterwards, but they'll do the job.

These "nut taps" are extra long with relief-diameter shanks, but are more expensive and four flute hand style (which I hate compared to spiral point) which will work as-is. https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...Taps?navid=12106061#navid=12106061+4288247598

No doubt special order, but deep hole taps do exist. I have this 3-flute one by Threadwell with about .5 inch more thread than normal.. It is marked 3/8-16 NC HS G H 5 3896-2 772 STL P 5544.

Larry

DSC02340.jpg

din 374? i have never seen a 371 tap except 3 mm and smaller. interestingly unc/f taps seem to be primarily thick shank. why is that? it wont break at the shank anyway, right?

Can carbide reduce the shank of a tap in the lathe? Someone here said PCD will cut it fine.
Bill D

I do it with used up inserts, spin it fast, feed it moderate, taks small cuts. I wouldn't want to make dozens that way but if you just need one and would like it now. Very pretty my wife says as the bright orange shavings come off and turn to rainbows, I cool it between cuts but not while cutting. Used cermet works too.

Can carbide reduce the shank of a tap in the lathe? Someone here said PCD will cut it fine.
Bill D
CBN would be correct tool for turning, PCD probably less than ideal.
Carbide ”works” also, depending on tap and luck you might need one or several inserts per tap shank.

Could you explain why a pulley tap won't work? I believe you but I just don't see the problem somehow. It seems many posts are explaining how to relieve a standard tap, which is exactly what a pulley tap is.

pulley taps

Mattij, you are right, that's not my idea of a pulley tap, even though it is. I somehow came across about 10 of the 5/16-18 "real" pulley taps all new, anybody want to do some trading?pulley.jpg

Back