What's new
What's new

Taper point drills - Do they exist?

Parkerbender

Stainless
I have seen some for wood, but do they exist for metal? (preferably in carbide?) I have a party we're prototyping that if i could taper a .136 hole to .15ish over the course of .625 in length or so, i think it would solve a bunch of problems...

If not, does a person get one custom ground? Where does a guy go to get that done?

Thanks!

-Parker

I figured the angle out to just over a 1 1/4 degree included (my Trig's a little rusty, hope that's right); tapered end mills might be your answer. Drill a pilot hole close to your min. dia. and then make your taper with the em, set your stop to the depth that gives you your .136 finished hole and there you are. The spiral flutes will give you good chip extraction and constant cutting action with good surface finish.
Meadville Tool Grinding ((814)-382-1201) can help you out with custom carbide cutters.

Hey Parker;
How many holes do you have to make like that? Just enough for a prototype or enough for a production run? Aluminum Steel or Ti? If its aluminum and short run It's pretty easy to make a straight single flute reamer. I know you have a little heat treat furnace. Grab some drill rod and make one. You could also grind one from a carbide round blank with your surface grinder and a spin index fixture.

Todd

I don't have specifics on me right now, but we usually drill a tapered hole with a standard bit and use a tapered reamer to accomplish the angle. I would think that using a reamer would make it easier to control the diameters of the hole than a drill (cleaner hole too).

Well, in this case it's still in the prototyping stage, but as with most stuff, if it works out, it will be production. The tip of the hole is about .1~.15 dp. in 6Al4V, the rest of the hole depth is 6061. I might try to start this project with a taper reamer from msc, and if this thing takes off, hunt down someone like meadville ginding for opinions on if i could do it with a single op (custom drill or something) and to make me a few out of carbide.

Thanks guys!

-Parker

That to me looks like a dead easy tool for anybody that makes straight flute carbide tooling...it could be done in taper flute too but no need really. I think it would want say a 135 degree drill point, then your taper, it may take some fiddling around to mostly eliminate exit burr.

Garr could make it for you I'm sure, but lots of local shops, at least around here and metro Detroit area could do it. I used to use MC carbide a lot, they make nice stuff. You can buy tapered endmills too, but not sure if they come in that shallow of an angle, and in center cutting.

Back