What's new
What's new

Taperlock Bushings and Offset Loading

Clive603

Titanium
Can taperlock fitting hubs accept offset, oscillatory, loading without eventually working loose?

Just sent a second generation "moderate bodge" level repair to a dual flywheel with overhung crank stye device out. The first generation "fix it how it was made" version failed in short order.

The OEM design shaft has a welded flange for the inner, plain, flywheel and a slightly tapered square with a tapped hole for a retaining bolt to carry the outer one with its overhung crank. If the second generation repair fails making a plain shaft and fitting a taperlock hub to carry the flywheels seems to be the only method with a reasonable price / performance / effort ratio.

I've spent too much time on it already at "mates rates"! One day I might learn to send easy looking at first glance jobs down the road when second look shows up as not easy. Don't hold your breath, its nigh on fifty year since I first started saying that.

Flywheels are approaching 2 ft diameter and crank radius is maybe 10" so its big enough to be a pain to handle. In my view the original design completely sucks from both engineering and production aspects as there is no reason not to put both flywheels on a single hub. Failure mode being fracture of the square end of the shaft which is severely weakened by the tapped hole and has no flange behind to support the flywheel. As the hole in the flywheel is plain, not tapered to match the shaft, I'm amazed that it lasted 10 minutes rather than the 10 years it managed.

Clive

Thanks very much for that link.

Result.

One or two of the transtorque style will do nicely, and affordably, if the job comes back. I'll need to make my own plain bore hubs abut that will be trivial.

Hafta say I'd not seen those before. Always associated B-Loc with the ring of capheads style in large and expensive sizes.

Clive

Back