What's new
What's new

Tapping Sequence

CatMan

Hot Rolled
Just curious. Looking for generally accepted opinions here.

Let's say you have a print that calls out a 3/8-16 tapped hole. Material is 1/2" thick 1018. Hole will be tapped through. No other callouts on the hole.

Do you do anything outside of a 5/16" hole and a 3/8-16 tap?

Do you countersink? What degree? Manual countersink the back side or maybe just a hand deburr?

What else can be done to help a bolt be hand threaded into the hole?

Spot
Drill
Countersink (I use 90*)
Tap

If you countersink after tapping, the countersink might push some material down into the threads such that you’ll have to chase them to get them to gage.

Yes, you should countersink the backside.

Ideally, you should spot, drill, and countersink the topside, then flip, countersink, and tap from the backside as the last operation.

Regards.

Mike

Just curious. Looking for generally accepted opinions here.

Let's say you have a print that calls out a 3/8-16 tapped hole. Material is 1/2" thick 1018. Hole will be tapped through. No other callouts on the hole.

Do you do anything outside of a 5/16" hole and a 3/8-16 tap?

Do you countersink? What degree? Manual countersink the back side or maybe just a hand deburr?

What else can be done to help a bolt be hand threaded into the hole?

Countersink both sides to a minimum thread diameter.

Or, if you have a CNC mill and many parts to do ...

Spot
Drill
Countersink topside
Countersink backside with a back-deburr or double-angle cutter
Tap

Regards.

Mike

Mostly agree with the above but if power tapping I generally tap after the first countersink to ensure good hole alignment. If hand tapping out of the machine or using a tapping arm I'll tap after the countersinks are done on both sides. And I countersink to a bit over the major diameter to ensure no burr as well as no bulging up from slight thread pull-up when a bolt is installed and torqued up tight. Still usually lightly run a hone over the surface after everything is done - it's rare that there isn't at least a little bit of a shiny ring around the hole from the hone.

Spot with 1/2 90 degree spot drill .18 ish deep, drill with S drill, form tap 3/8-16, countersink back side hard and fast in a drill press with stop set so the countersink cuts instead of smushing.

Don't hand deburr a tapped hole unless you don't care about quality.
And ALWAYS deburr your work.

Hand deburr as in a Noga style tool? Hell no! Hand deburr with a proper c'sink? No problem, cordless, drill press, Amish Makita (guy I worked with called it that LoL).

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...OwOPAhxX7VKx6As2xpL7JmFOir7l1x4kaAnc8EALw_wcB

If you are running production of something with alot of holes I would definitely invest in a back deburring tool. Spring loaded, or reduced neck style, even a 270deg ball undercut might work....

Spot if needed for hole placement accuracy.
Drill with tap drill.
CS front in drill press.
Flip it over and CS on back.
Tap.
If surface must be absolutely flat, stone or file it to remove any raised ring.

On the CS, I usually go for a one thread depth. That can be adjusted if the material is thin but one thread deep is usually enough to prevent the tap from raising a ring above the surface. This applies to both front and back sides. It also helps in starting the tap in a centered manner.

I usually CS on the drill press where I have a good depth stop (note below). That allows you to easily and accurately adjust the depth and then all the holes are CS to the same degree. And if the back side does not have any raised rings, then the back side CS can be done with the same depth stop adjustment as used for the front side.

You also need to look out for how much of a raised edge is created on the back side by the drilling operation. If excessive, you need to run a file or stone over the back before doing the front side CS.

Note: At the present time I do most CS on my smaller, bench drill press. I have a depth stop installed on it that uses a push button nut which allows both rapid movement to a coarse setting and the fine adjustment of the screw thread. And it does not need to be locked with a second nut so it is real fast to use. In fact, I attribute all my use of the depth stop to this "magic" push button nut. Before I had it installed there, I almost never used the depth stop. The push button nuts are a treasure.

One more note: I countersink before tapping because I have found that doing the CS after tapping will distort the first thread in many of the softer materials, necessitating a second application of the tap. If you CS first, this almost never happens and you wind up with a perfect thread with just one application of the tap.

Could you elaborate a bit on why the hole alignment is endangered if the back side is CS before power tapping. And by "hole alignment" do you mean the angular alignment or the X-Y placement? I have used power tapping on several occasions where I had to tap a large number of holes and saw no problems.

Mostly agree with the above but if power tapping I generally tap after the first countersink to ensure good hole alignment. If hand tapping out of the machine or using a tapping arm I'll tap after the countersinks are done on both sides. And I countersink to a bit over the major diameter to ensure no burr as well as no bulging up from slight thread pull-up when a bolt is installed and torqued up tight. Still usually lightly run a hone over the surface after everything is done - it's rare that there isn't at least a little bit of a shiny ring around the hole from the hone.

Could you elaborate a bit on why the hole alignment is endangered if the back side is CS before power tapping. And by "hole alignment" do you mean the angular alignment or the X-Y placement? I have used power tapping on several occasions where I had to tap a large number of holes and saw no problems.

Generally this is when doing a run of parts in a vise, and the part is constrained. Parts are swapped in the vise as though it were a fixture. X-Y alignment can occasionally be an issue, especially if parts aren't machined on all surfaces. On a drill press with the workpiece free to move about unconstrained it shouldn't be a problem.

Spot. (Deep enough with a 90deg. tool to achieve desired chamfer of finished hole)
Drill.
Tap.
Done.

If the back side requires chamfering:
Be sure to have good datum surfaces
Spot back side
Flip part
Spot
Drill
Tap

the nuissance about countersinking is that you have to go slow. i like to do it on a two speed machine and the back side by hand.

Last edited:
Spot. (Deep enough with a 90deg. tool to achieve desired chamfer of finished hole)
Drill.
Tap.
Done.

If the back side requires chamfering:
Be sure to have good datum surfaces
Spot back side
Flip part
Spot
Drill
Tap

In red = Don't make a habit of this, especially in steels.
You generally want your spot angle to be more than your drill angle, like a 142 deg spot drill.
Then you drill,chamfer,tap in that order.

In red = Don't make a habit of this, especially in steels.
You generally want your spot angle to be more than your drill angle, like a 142 deg spot drill.
Then you drill,chamfer,tap in that order.

I am dealing with this exact issue on a bunch of legacy programs done by others.
We use an ever increasing number of expensive through coolant drills. I absolutely love them. Better quality holes...much faster cycle times...longer tool life etc. The problem is the programs were done with the thought in mind of ...."hey...I will just spot with a 90 deg spot deep enough and not need to chamfer....."They got away with it because they were using HSS drills which are more forgiving....it wasnt nice to do to the drill....but no one really cared because people spend as much on their lunch as they do a HSS drill. Then when the investment was made to use coolant through carbide drills they attempted to continue this process. The corners were blowing out on the coolant through drills because that is the first place the drill was making contact. All the tooling guys will say....the spot drill needs to be the same angle or larger angle than the drill point angle....improves tool life and accuracy.

In general, I am in the camp that cuts the chamfer first. If you chamfer as a second operation in a different setup, it will never be perfectly even and smooth. The way to get a perfect chamfer is to do it as the first operation.

Back