What's new
What's new

Tapping Small Holes in Titanium

Kvid, I have tapped many holes in titanium grade 5 (Ti6Al4V) and have only had success with titanium specific taps. The smallest that I have used were M2 from Emuge. You are in Austria, so I would think that getting Emuge taps should be relatively easy. Contact them and use the very best extreme pressure tapping fluid that you can get. If you are hand tapping, make a guide block that supports the shank of the tap, not the threaded section. This style of tap block helps prevent bending breakage as the shank is much stronger than the cutting section. Good luck.
Joe

I too have done some small holes in grade 5, not sure how grade 2 compares.

I have used cheap taps like you linked but it was a crapshoot, if your parts are replaceable or you have acccess to an EDM to burn out a broken tap go for it.

Otherwise Titex make some great spiral point taps specifically for Ti that work great, those with MolyDee make the job a breeze.

Can you use a form/roll tap? I have a client that has tapped 100s of thousands of M1.2 with a roll tap and swisslube oil in 6AL4V. the chip is what will break the tap in a lot of cases.

Can you use a form/roll tap? I have a client that has tapped 100s of thousands of M1.2 with a roll tap and swisslube oil in 6AL4V. the chip is what will break the tap in a lot of cases.

BrotherFrank, he's hand tapping - roll taps are generally considered for machine use only, you don't want them turning-stopping-turning as you would with hand use.

Thank y'all guys!

After reading more about tapping in titanium I realized that it is harder than I thought if not nearly impossible to do without special equipment.

Here are the parts that I wanted to tap. I made a couple of them in aluminum while I am waiting for the titanium to be delivered.

IMG_20190327_224829 (Medium).jpg

The initial plan was to attach the parts to the PCB (printed circuit board) with M1.4 screws. It looks like it will be much easier to take advantage of interference fit. I will use these pins to attach the parts to the PCB: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mill-Max/2381-0-00-15-00-00-33-0?qs=glduVv6OWv4YzsZRhKKvyw==

roll tap all day. i do hundreds of 4-40 in cp2 by hand with a balax roll tap. ive tried everything under the sun but roll taps i always come back to. The biggest thing i can say is make sure you have the correct lube. I use some red hangstfers stuff that allows me to tap right to bottom..have broken a tap in over 400 pcs( the same tap too BTW.

I'm curious too. Maybe kvid could use something like 4140 or S.S. and save a lot of hassle in dealing with Ti.

Back