What's new
What's new

Telescoping Gage - one arm or self centering?

Need one to cover a gap between my pin gauges and bore gauge but never used one, I see there's two types:

229A Telescoping Gage

579B Telescoping Gage

Any preference?
The big difference is the 579B has both ends spring loaded so they call them self centering. This is a great feature on larger sizes. However, because of the construction, they are significantly higher in new retail price. The price difference is not as large in the used market. I might have an extra set. If you're interested i can look this afternoon.

Also, keep in mind lots of other manufacturers make these. I personally prefer my Mitutoyos over the Starretts.

Steve.

Sent from my LM-G900TM using Tapatalk

I hate the single ended ones. On bores near the size of the small end of the gage range that puts the handle right up against one side of the bore. That means the pivot point with the handle is not in the center of the bore - I don't care for that. I like the pivot in the center, seems to give me a better feel that way. All of my telescoping gages are double-ended. I've gotten plenty of the single ended ones over the years in lot purchases. Gave them all away.

I have both, and very much prefer the single ended for close tolerances and odd workpieces.
I guess that's why they make both. :)

I have used a set of Mitutoyo self-centering telescoping gages for decades. I like them. I have drawers full of machinist tools that I have picked up over the years, and I am sure I have Starrett and other telescoping gages I could use. But I don't.

Larry

It is quite likely down to personal preference. They both work in similar fashion. I find it easier to get a smooth movement on the gages I've used as they're closing down with double ended also. It's kind of a balancing act between just tight enough to let the arms slide but not move after bore measurement and too tight. I always wondered why they didn't do a better job on the actual contact surface where the locking pin rides. IIRC all the gage brands are just a milled surface there.

you shouldnt have. my starret ones were junk. took quite a bit of effort to make them work properly.

you shouldnt have. my starret ones were junk. took quite a bit of effort to make them work properly.

I've had 2 sets of Mitutoyo telescoping gages back in the 90's when I was running engine lathes. They are complete garbage. Bought a set of Starrett telescoping gages and still have them. Maybe the quality difference was because mine were made in the early 90's? When did you buy your Starrett gages?

Shit, you're right, JUNK!!!

One of the arms fell out and wouldn't go back into the holder, they are fit way sloppy and the threads are full of burrs.

I could have done better with a $5 "China Direct" Fleebay purchase.

I thought Starrett was still made in USA, is everything in this world made like shite now?

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGG!

I would of suggested 8" handles for either one of the starrets...

I've got the 579B in standard and 12" handle...

229A series, I personally don't care for.

If you can find one a Helios set is very well built.

Mitutoyo Gages are good. I do have some Chinese SS clones of Mits , purchased 15 yrs ago ...and after years of use they're decent.

I have Mits and Starret. Both self centering. The Mits get used all the time. The Starrets...why do I keep the Starrets? In case I lose a Mitutoyo I guess. One caution that applies to both: avoid the inclination to release the spring with the gage not in a bore or restrained by your fingers. That snaps open the gage and can pop one end out of the gage. I had that happen once and, by sheer, luck found everything but the tiny spring. I used a spare gage for the rest of the day, but wound and tempered a spring considerably smaller and finer than a typical ballpoint pen that evening. Now it works like new, but it was inconvenient and annoying to screw up a nice gage in the middle of a job.

Denis

Shit, you're right, JUNK!!!

One of the arms fell out and wouldn't go back into the holder, they are fit way sloppy and the threads are full of burrs.

I could have done better with a $5 "China Direct" Fleebay purchase.

I thought Starrett was still made in USA, is everything in this world made like shite now?

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGG!

The ones you just bought?!? :eek:

That sucks. I have a set of Starret s579h, and they are as smooth as when bought new in the late 90's.

I have both Starrett and Mits in both styles. I use both styles, but I prefer the Mits. hands down. It iS ALL ABOUT SMOOTHNESS AND REPEATABILITY. That's where the Mits shine. I have confidence in their readings.

Back