What's new
What's new

Telescoping Tubes Manufacturing Method

gyronikeleg

Plastic
Hello!

I am trying to get rectangular telescoping tubes produced and I am trying to find the best method to produce these.

I need:
- 3 sections of Aluminum tube
- No slop between sections
- The outer section is 14" x 2.5" x 16" tall x .11"thk

I looked at extrusion, but it is too large a profile to produce at a reasonable cost. Precision is important because I want these to slide smoothly

What is the most cost effective way to produce a lot of these?

Thanks
Greg

You're not getting "No slop between sections" without risk of galling the pieces when you try to slide them. It would be wise to either rethink materials or add polymer bushings between the slide surfaces to protect the surfaces.

I'd look at doing these as telescoping "C" ball slides, like for premium drawers. They can be made quite robust and accurately, but it won't be cheap.

Thanks for the response!

Galling even with anodizing?

How would you make the tubes themselves? Slides are a good idea

For a small production run, I'd look at cutting sheet and welding into box sections, clearing corners as needed to allow weld beads.

Anodize has limits, even when Teflon impregnated. Even a little bit of dirt and a few sliding motions will compromise it.

. . .Galling even with anodizing?. . .

I guess you could call it 'scratching' or 'gouging' but the end result is damage to the surfaces. If you don't have any lubrication in your plan, the polymer bushings is probably the only way to do it. If the action of the telescoping section is vertical with no side loads at all, damage would be minimal for a while at least.

you'll need pads inside for smooth action and to reduce wear, anodizing against anodizing (ptfe impregnated or not) will not last long, and if the tubes are thin and long, there might be an issue with getting even thickness anodizing on the inside surfaces

Most cost effective way is to install plastic "buttons" that will take up the slack between the tubes. These might be HDPE, Delrin, or even filled nylon. The trick is to design them in such a way that they keep a preload to eliminate slack.

Look at any piece of telescoping construction equipment. Telehandler or boom lift or small crane. Formed / welded steel tubes with plastic sliders in strategic locations.

I like Genie brand equipment. Their booms don't seem to need a lot of maintenance.

Uh oh, inventor alert. It's either for a perpetual motion machine, an engine that runs on water, or something involving Tesla.

last section could be solid to save cost. 500 sticks or 500 assemblies? Form and fabricate tapered tubes and they will "lock" when extended. Why AL? Steel is real. 16"? that with 3 sections is 4'. 12"x2"x.188" is standard hss shape, 48" piece will cost a lot less than three custom shapes.

Any chance you could go to round tube. They make drawn round tubing with a wall thickness of
.058" and steps all the way from 1/2" to at least 2". Any two sizes will telescope together with the
best fit you're going to get for off the shelf tubing. I've used it for a couple projects and it works
pretty well...

Back