What's new
What's new

Temperature/Humidity Monitoring

drcoelho

Stainless
So I'm in process of setting up tight temperature and humidity monitoring for the various rooms in my shop so I can get HVAC and Dehumidifiers dialed in, and I tried the following product out, its working very nicely:

Watchdog 15-P | Vertiv Geist Environmental Monitors

[I have no association with this company or product, just an end-user]

Thought this might be of interest to others....

Does it get humid in CA ? i would have thought that would be more of an issue in the tropics.
dew point may be a issue in colder areas.

Where do you get your temp and rainfall data from? i will have a little look

Yes, there are parts of California that actually do get rain once in a while, e.g. 100% outdoor humidity ;) I'm trying to hold my shop at 72 (F) degrees, less than 50 percent humidity 24x7. The little device mentioned above is nice because it keeps a long term history, so one can look at trends. For outside weather conditions, I'm using a product from Columbia Weather Systems. All is networked so I can access anytime, even remotely.

Does it get humid in CA ? i would have thought that would be more of an issue in the tropics.
dew point may be a issue in colder areas.

Where do you get your temp and rainfall data from? i will have a little look

San Francisco is well known for it's high humdity, normally in the summer, when it gets to 100% humidity and we call it fog.
California has a lot of humidity on the coast. Coast Redwood trees need a lot of humidity to do well. The coast redwood trees only grow along the north coast and a little bit into Oregon. They do not like snow or hot summers. Giant redwoods do fine in the mountains with no fog and heavy snow.
I have no idea about the Chinese redwood trees natural climate but they do fine here with hot dry summers and lots of irrigation. But they drop their needles in the winter time.
Bill D.

One other relatively low cost option for this kind of thing is a residential product called 'Awair'. It monitors temperature, humidity, Co2, VOC and dust levels. Some of the threshold levels are a bit sensitive for a normal shop environment and unfortunately they are not configurable, but it does offer an app and logging of the data and seems to work pretty well! Clean out the dust sensor once a month with compressed air and it seems to stay fairly accurate!

humidity can vary that is air can be much higher humidity near cold concrete floor or near the ceiling
i have seen air tight buildings where ceiling or rafter area was wet with dew. it was not roof leaking it was humidity drying wet concrete, wet wood, coolant drying moisture in air. the moisture rises and near ceiling its at dew point like its raining inside the building. if dont see water dew forming often see black mold on surfaces which likes high humidity
usually air movement and some ventilation with less moist air will help control this natural phenomenon. see this more in air of tight construction newer buildings

We have also had to contend with the opposite problem, too low humidity, especially in winter. That rapidly becomes an ESD concern. Then it’s time to send the guys out to mop the floor.

nylon is famous for changing sizes alot as it gets wet or dries out. literally have made parts where bearing was pressed in and parts put in a drawer and a year later the same parts the bearing falls out cause bore is bigger
and of course iron and steel parts get rusty when humidity is high
my point is air circulation is needed or you can get local humidity problems in certain areas like near the floor or up at the ceiling. same as air temperature can be a lot different near floor or near ceiling

Back