What's new
What's new

In terms of Malleability, which grade of stainless is closest to copper?

gmoushon

Cast Iron
I'm working of a medical device and am looking for a stainless wire around 20 gauge diameter that will bend and roughly hold its shape similar to copper. I want to minimize memory in the material as much as possible.

What would be the closest grade of stainless to use?

gm

They are two completely different alloys. Stainless will strain harden to a greater extent, that property is not comparable.

Thanks for the reply.

I realize they are completely different alloys. Maybe I should simply ask which grade of stainless is the most malleable?
gm

304 is the usually go to for stamped and drawn stainless products so industry must have a reason.

Biggest issue most common stainless wires going to be in as drawn temper and thats pretty dang springy, annealed stuff is noticeably less, 304 or 316 are both pretty similar though in my experience.

I took Milland's advise and ordered a 1# roll of .025 SS annealed wire. Cost me $20 shipped. Will experiment with that and see.

Another option I thought of is to use silver wire from a jewelry shop. From what I understand, the only metal that is more malleable that silver is gold. Just not sure how its surface will stand up to the autoclave process. This is going on a surgical device.

gm.

Biggest issue most common stainless wires going to be in as drawn temper and thats pretty dang springy, annealed stuff is noticeably less, 304 or 316 are both pretty similar though in my experience.

Safety wire is fully annealed (quenched in the case of 302-304). Basically used just once & tossed for new if re-torque is required. Gets pretty stiff the first time you twist it and seriously stiff buzzing around in an airplane after a few hundred hours.

Good luck,
Matt

Surgical stitch wire is type 316L

When closing up after open-heart surgery, they put the sternum back together with six stitches through the bone using stainless steel wire. The sternum was sawed in half aling the vertical centerline. The alloy is 316L.

Corrosion of stainless steel sternal wire after long-term implantation | SpringerLink

Wire stitches can also be made of pure titanium (permanent) or a titanium alloy (dissolves after six months or so).

Back