What's new
What's new

Thanks for the brown paper under a lathe chuck jaws tip

Bill D

Diamond
I am boring out a welded sprocket and hub to use as a drillpress stop collar. No great accuracy needed. It is old and rusty. it kept walking out of the chuck so I used a single wrap of brown paper bag between the work and the jaws.
This kept it in place and let me complete the job. I had thought of using a boring head in a vertical mill to enlarge the bore by about 1/2 inch. I do not care about any loss of accuracy due to the paper for this job. Also the welding job is a little off so the gear wobbles if the hub is running true.
I did read here not to us masking tape since the glue will melt and slip. I did not actually use brown paper since I had one of those nonwoven butt wipes nearby. It had dried out and felt pretty much like paper. I think it may be paper with some plastic or just paper. I do not think a kitchen paper towel would be enough.
Same idea as blotters for a grinding wheel.
Bill D.

Agree brown paper is thick.Yard bags even thicker.. can be hand for many shop uses.oiled brown can be used for steady jaw protection to save a part surface finish...

Another brown paper bag use is a bleeding stop. You use a food grade brown paper bag that is fresh never touched using the inside and make a compress for a bleeding wound.Yes this is a wilderness survival tip for out in the bush..proper medical treatment if you have it is better. The glue in brown paper seem to stop bleeding faster than most anything. Using the inside of new bags is safer because being untouched.

and i've been using 2" masking tape all these years by mistake

I have found masking tape to be a bit slippery, maybe the adhesive? I still use it sometimes, but not when it matters much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use card stock - think index cards for a non-marring shim on finished parts and a piece of fine emery cloth in the mill vise for stacked parts which often don't clamp securely. For instance, I might have a stack of cut parts from strip stock. They're nominally the same width but if you stack them up to trim the ends as a group there's always one hyperactive kid in the bunch who doesn't behave. The emery cloth exerts some discipline so they all sit tight and pay attention.

I searched a bit on this site and everyone agreed not to use masking tape. The glue is slippery, heat or oil will release the glue. the glue will stay around on your chuck and make it more slippery even without the tape until it is all cleaned off with harsh solvents that should not be on you hands or mixed into coolant and swarf.
Bill D.

Guess there must be a number of brown paper grades.. The kind that is for food with the handles that you get instead of plastic is good when oiled or greased for use as a temporary bearing..just secure one end, wrap almost around leaving perhaps a 1/32- 1/16 gap..medium speed of a few hundred. This can be used in a steady

Back