What's new
What's new

Thanks, moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Feldman

Titanium
Not too long ago, there was a thread here that expressed concern about the lack of moderator oversight. It was not a concern that I happen to share.

This morning a thread appeared that I viewed as social media fodder and that had zero to do with anything that I follow this board for. It involved personal preferences for hot pepper. It got pretty promptly closed. That's good. It is not that dietary pepper is devoid of interest, and it's not that I am against lightening up. It is more a matter of not wasting the time I spend on PM and not diluting what I see as the relevant stuff. The argument that I could just ignore it if I chose does not impress me.

As the title says, Thanks, moderator.

-Marty-

Closing leaves it up for brain dead posters to think that kind of posting
is acceptable....and then that breeds more of that kind of "fodder".

Heck the OP did get some postings, answers, and information from it.
So locking did not much of anything IMHO.

You'll note the "NO !" Dick Dale thread got completely deleted.

If this would become the norm, I predict the storm of "Locked threads" would decrease greatly.

Not too long ago, there was a thread here that expressed concern about the lack of moderator oversight. It was not a concern that I happen to share.

This morning a thread appeared that I viewed as social media fodder and that had zero to do with anything that I follow this board for. It involved personal preferences for hot pepper. It got pretty promptly closed. That's good. It is not that dietary pepper is devoid of interest, and it's not that I am against lightening up. It is more a matter of not wasting the time I spend on PM and not diluting what I see as the relevant stuff. The argument that I could just ignore it if I chose does not impress me.

As the title says, Thanks, moderator.

-Marty-

I'm sorry Marty, I don't see your point, nor do I think the moderator should have closed the thread. This thread should have been identified as OT, but I see no harm in leaving it alone. This is especially true when considering all the other "OT" threads that are allowed to fly. What is good for the goose should be good for the gander. This is especially true after my "Technical" reply!

That post did no harm, and it was a lot less harmful than the nasty political banter that is allowed to go on. You tattled on a hot pepper thread, now you praise the mods in brown noser fashion. That is pretty pathetic, just my opinion. My complaint on the mods was for not cleaning up spamming quick enough and allowing non contributing members to use this place as free E-bay.

An off topic rumpus room (with 3 page maximum storage) as I have advocated for (for 3 years or so now.....)

Would put a definite END to all this...postings, complaint postings, back stabbing postings, name calling, et all.

It was just strange that post was closed as quickly as it was when many go on for days. I was hoping to get some gardening tips for peppers as I posted about worms eating my habaneros, yet thanks to someone who thinks the world should revolve around him it got closed.

WTF is this self congatulatory shit doing here on PM!! I come here to read technical info about MACHINES and MACHINING, not to read about someone patting himself on the back for getting one off topic thread closed and yet starting his own? WTF:nutter:

WTF is this self congatulatory shit doing here on PM!! I come here to read technical info about MACHINES and MACHINING, not to read about someone patting himself on the back for getting one off topic thread closed and yet starting his own? WTF:nutter:

I guess on his next resume he can list "I was able to get a thread on hot peppers closed on PM" under the personal achievement category. Seriously, I feel sorry for anyone who has to work with or under someone like him.

likely we may have gotten to best cutting tools for them...perhaps a damascus 14" knife, having a 16 degree hone with a fine ceramic stone, and used on a white oak board board.

Ceramic knife, and what to use to sharpen it. Diamond belt, resin bonded wheel or what. Synthetic or natural diamonds, friable or not..

There's a mod on the 737 thread who forgets he's a mod sometimes when he posts.

Then another mod had to interject himself in another thread which has some very interesting diversions, but always of interest, not sure why. One poster disagreed with what somebody else had said, I thought it was so minor I didn't pay attention. Not sure if that was the cause of the mods interjection.

Moderation seems to be pretty arbitrary, I thought the hot pepper thread was interesting.

A lot of motorcycle forums have a section(s) that either is a free for all, or in the case of VitalMX a forum called the "Dumbgeon" where threads that are too OT, or get out of hand get sent, but they don't get locked or deleted.

Some people need to grow a pair. If you don't like a thread don't read it, skip over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back