What's new
What's new

Is there any difference between a Metabo from MSC or one from Amazon?

anoldcrank

Banned
In shopping for a Metabo right angle grinder, I found a considerable difference in prices. The same grinder at MSC is almost twice the price at Amazon:

Angle & Disc Grinders | MSCDirect.com

Metabo W24-230 6, 600 RPM 15.0 AMP 9-Inch Angle Grinder - Power Angle Grinders - Amazon.com

Other places:
Metabo 60644842 W 24-230 2400 Watt Angle Grinder - Ace Tool

METABO W24-230 Right Angle Grinder,15 A, 9" - Walmart.com

https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0281735

http://www.cpometabo.com/metabo-606448420-w24-230-6-600-rpm-15-0-amp-9-in--angle-grinder/mtbn606448420,default,pd.html?ref=googaw&kw={keyword}&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwuSkBRC7qKq8rr7796sBEiQA5VnSuCKEhpbOuG19lwmdk5i2YvldzXePcPZWxC1CVV6gDtkaAhey8P8HAQ&keyword=metabo+w24+230&sissr=1

Metabo US606467760 W24-230 9 in. 15 Amp MVT Angle Grinder with Deadman Switch

Grinders - Angle | Travers.com

Am I getting the same quality tool from any of these places? They all seem to have the same three year warranty.

A couple of notes:
Your links below the MSC and Amazon info have 2 different p/n's shown, which may indicate minor difference in models that are on dealer shelves. The 60644842 and 606467760 are indicating some difference in configuration. Whether that is any part in the Amazon vs. MSC price difference is an open question.
A large price difference between MSC and anyone else is not surprising to me, anyway. Unless you have an established account with some sort of normal discount terms with MSC, the price you see is list price plus whatever they think the traffic will bear.

That said, I love Metabo tools. Their orbital sanders last forever. Or almost.

Apples to apples = same model comparison I believe you are getting the same exact thing. Any "name brand" that I got from Amazon I'd expect to perform equally well no matter where it was purchased.

MSC has a pretty large price structure on some things....

Take MSC list price and subtract 30-40% and then compare the price. No one (or gawd I hope so anyways!) pays list price at MSC...

I believe that there are lower price Bosch grinders made in China, and the more expensive ones are from Germany. Metabo also has one factory in Germany, and one in Shanghai. So I would guess they do the same thing- the cheapies are chinese, the higher priced models German.
I would want to know where the grinder is made. You probably wont get an email response on this- my guess is it would require either a trip to a metabo dealer, or an actual old timey phone call.
Generally, all of one model number is german, and the chinese one would have a different model number, in the ones I have examined in person.

Good choice on the Metabo. I have one that I've used for 25 years without a lick of trouble. At one point I was stripping rust and paint from sheet piling for days on end, and it never even got warm.

I am not sure about Metabo, but I do know that Bosch for one, offer similar tools in 3 different product lines, Professional, Hobbyist and discount store/home owner. There are both differences in quality and prices. I believe the same is true for Black and Decker. Bosch differentiates the products by color. I'm not sure others do though. Buyer beware!

MSC lists a Boston Stock gear for $378, I bought it from a local distributor for $186. A friend with a BIG discount from MSC plugged in his account number and got the same price of $378.

I suspect there's more than one price on these, and MSC uses the highest price published. Probably the same w/Metabo.

+1 on choosing Metabo BTW.

I got the 35% coupon from MSC the other day. I was in the market for a magnetic drill press. With 35% discount, MSC was still substantially more expensive than identical models on Amazon.

Most every product from MSC, even with a discount, comes with a two bonus screws. First, on the price. Second, on the shipping.

Used to be a good company many decades ago. Now it's pretty much a financial play. Gobble up the competition. Raise prices. Offer discounts to still-high prices. Only thing they really have going for them is a willingness to sell many items.

Zoro is not bad, though with a limited catalog. You can commonly find 20-25% discounts from them as well as free shipping over $50; which might make them your best bet for the Metabo?

Take MSC list price and subtract 30-40% and then compare the price. No one (or gawd I hope so anyways!) pays list price at MSC...

Do when you can't find anywhere else and you are tired of looking.But I do usually buy sale items from them.I like Next Day Air

Also,their tech support and the ability to call the factory or dealer directly has saved my ass more than a few times.But you do pay full retail.

All the bad things aside,,MSC customer service and tech support are awesome.IMO

I use to buy one of there brands of floor dry and in part use to use it in the bottoms of the gerbils cage, so even my pet rodents never paid "list" God i miss J&L were a frigging offer was a offer not just a sane price.

Wendy is the MSC sales agent for the San Antonio area, she gets me fairly good discounts is off the catalog prices. If the price is only a couple of dollars different, I would go with MSC. A friend just bought a Metabo belt sander for cleaning paint off of oil field tubing for rebuild and certification. Between MSC and Norton he got a lot of free belts and technical support till he got the process down.

My local welding supply matched the best ebay prices on 2- 6" Metabo grinders. Yeah I had to pay sales tax so that brought the price up some. Much rather buy from a source ten miles away than over internet and have to start shipping back to seller if warrenty come into play. I tried most of the major brands of 6" grinders years ago and settled on Metabo, probably bought over 20 of them thru the years.

Back