What's new
What's new

Are there any "Made in USA" drill bits?

gld64

Plastic
I'm looking for a 29 piece drill bit set made in the USA. (I'd much rather support several North American workers than one American CEO who makes billions off cheap labor...)

I was told this Cleveland set (Item Number C70365) was made in USA but this website doesn't show country of origin. Can anyone confirm this.
Greenfield Industries

I was also on the GlobalIndustrial website but they don't list country of origin on Milwakee, Bosch, etc. so I'm guessing it's all chinese.
Drill Bits - GlobalIndustrial.com

Finally, does anyone know of any Cobalt bits made in USA, and should I even bother with Cobalt.

Thanks for all and any info,
Guy D
Canada

Precision Twist screw machine length fractional and number drills are made in Brazil, as I found out a couple of days ago....

At least 15 years ago, I bought several sets of 29 fractional Cleveland bits. They are the real thing. I still have three sets I have never used.

There are way too many examples of trusted old American companies that have gone out of business and become just a name on Chinese goods.

I am very suspicious of the "Drill America" bits. I have never bought any, but the name just sounds like a scam.

Larry

DSC00398.jpgDSC00399.jpgDSC00400.jpgDSC00401.jpgDSC00402.jpg

At least 15 years ago, I bought several sets of 29 fractional Cleveland bits. They are the real thing. I still have three sets I have never used.

There are way too many examples of trusted old American companies that have gone out of business and become just a name on Chinese goods.

I am very suspicious of the "Drill America" bits. I have never bought any, but the name just sounds like a scam.

Larry

View attachment 170150View attachment 170151View attachment 170152View attachment 170153View attachment 170154

I acquired a large lot of surplus "Drill America" drills, thousands of them. These packages do appear to be older stock. MOST of the drills are marked USA, some are even name brands, in Drill America packages. I did find some marked South Africa and Australia. I do not think Drill America ever made drills, only marketed them.

sorry, what is wrong with a YG dream drill? They are outstanding and made in korea.

alonzo,

You've got to put this into perspective.

How many holes have you made with a standard HSS or cobalt drill?

Guessing bunches.

So have I and so many others that do this work for a living. I love the YG Dream drills too, but I'm not going to spend a shit ton or so on a 29 piece set to stow in my box, or for my Bridgeport at home.

I do tooling work (low volume), and I use the YGs or other carbide drills as needed. But if the work I'm drilling is easy-cutting, there is no reason to grab the carbide drills.

It's easier to resharp a steel drill, plus they're cheap vs. carbide.

I'm looking for a 29 piece drill bit set made in the USA. (I'd much rather support several North American workers than one American CEO who makes billions off cheap labor...)
How about a Chinese CEO / owner able to make at least a 'decent living' off AMERICAN labour?
See below.

I was told this Cleveland set (Item Number C70365) was made in USA but this website doesn't show country of origin. Can anyone confirm this.
Greenfield Industries

Short story is in their 'About Us':

GFI | About Us

Longer story was in the newspapers and trade journals several years ago. Cited on PM as well.

Several of the old-line 'greats' are or were - part of Top Eastern. Owner saw no other way to sell to the US Gummint and others with a 'buy America' ruleset but to own and operate factories IN America with US labour, then operate them to a high standard.

End of the day it is about people who 'get it' and run a business for quality and reputation as well as profit.

And those who do not.

'Intentions' nor country of origin of the 'wetware' has less to do with it than delivery of the actual proof in metal.

Bill

Used to be we could rely on Precision Twist. Made for ages outside Chicago. Then greed got the best of them. New stuff comes from Brazil. Seems to be OK, but they sure didn't lower the prices...

Chicago Latrobe still sells USA drills. Available from McMaster Carr and others.

Morse is a good USA brand of drills.

I buy Noreseman/Viking bits from Fastenal, great stuff. Told my boss I needed some bits the other day and he went to Fastenal and came back with the FMT chinese bs they sell, groan. There is in fact a difference.

Here are a couple other companies in the US that make a variety of tools including drill bits and milling cutters. I ran across them a couple weeks ago when looking for blades for my Racine power hacksaw.

Both companies are in Wisconsin. This one is in a little town called Casco:
ICS Cutting Tools

This one is in Waukesha: Midwest Cutting Tools - Carbide End Mills, Industrial Brushes
They're more into milling cutters. Carbide tooling is their specialty

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life, and worked in a corporate machine shop for many years. I never heard of either of these companies until recently. I've never bought anything from either, but I did check with other shop owners in the area. Several have done business with them and have been very satisfied.

It's nice to know there are still manufacturers in this country. Next time I need cutters, drills or anything else they make they'll be on the list to consider.

I acquired a large lot of surplus "Drill America" drills, thousands of them. These packages do appear to be older stock. MOST of the drills are marked USA, some are even name brands, in Drill America packages. I did find some marked South Africa and Australia. I do not think Drill America ever made drills, only marketed them.

Yup, probably either SOMTA or FEW. If I ever struggle with cheapy HSS stuff I turn to somta. Really good quality.

Back