Is there anyone here who builds custom engines? I would like to build a prototype - Page 15
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which is why Toyota and others are working on liquid fuelled fuel cells....some hydride like ammonia will be the fuel,produced from petroleum oil with the carbon used for (maybe) "various things"..The Saudis are putting billions into this for obvious reasons.Electric cars,just a different scheme.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    YouTube Here you go.
    Looks like that just gets you a roughed out crank, he would still need a crank grinder to finish it, if he gets rid of all the wood shop equipment he might just have enough room for both of those

3. Likes eKretz, Gobo, Turbowerks liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont need all that stuff----a restorer made a crank for a Henderson motorbike with just a lathe and a welder.....he also organized having a crankcase pair cast to replace the badly corroded Heathkit cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by APD View Post
    Its a little more complicated than that.

Using your melting point logic, how is it that nearly every car nowadays has an aluminum cylinder head when combustion temperatures are over 1200F ?

How do diesel engines keep from melting when they have combustion temps of 2000 C?
    They have cooling systems for those castings. Perhaps you have noticed that none have an aluminum exhaust system?

JST, I'm quite familiar with combustion turbines. I work on them. Even with bleed air and ceramic coated blades and water added the temp on the latest is around 1800F. They would love it higher since it is used to heat water in combined cycle applications. Durability is king though in power generation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ideally, the energy would be extracted from the charge to the point that the exhaust is not that hot, and you COULD have an aluminum exhaust.

It is not practical to do that with most engines, so it is not done. With power plant turbines, or marine diesel, as you know, it is possible and even practical to extract more heat after the fact, even though it is not practical to do so in the cylinder or turbine. Exhaust heat boilers have been around for a long time in marine work.

House furnaces for forced air systems these days have plastic pipe for a stack, and it vents out at ground level, no danger. They extract the heat, much easier because fairly low-grade heat is the product, I agree, but that sort of low temp exhaust was not always the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    "Um, what kind of logic is that?? You drive 15 hours a day?!
    If you drive 2hr / day = 730 / yr = 7.5 years to get to your 5500 number "

It's a new logic called 'math'. The point is not how much a person actually drives - it's not a people issue.
    exactly

My boiler runs 800 hours a year, it gets serviced once a year, mostly cleaning and a filter change

It has run for 10 years with 2 minor issues that required changing a low dollar part.

that is half a million miles at 60 miles per hour[mental image of my boiler at 60 mph]

We really should not be so impressed with ICE engine longevity

Especially with associated costs

It would be interesting to see what long haul truck companies really get out of their engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I talked to a cab driver once who said he used to work as a mechanic for the New York City cop cars....he said they were 'hot seat' cars. As in, the seats never cooled down because they were used in rotation for patrol shifts and the engines were never turned off 24 hours a day, until they needed maintenance or broke.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a cab driver once who said he used to work as a mechanic for the New York City cop cars....he said they were 'hot seat' cars. As in, the seats never cooled down because they were used in rotation for patrol shifts and the engines were never turned off 24 hours a day, until they needed maintenance or broke.
    Many commercial places are like this. Railroads, truckers etc.

FWIW one year we had about -30f for 2 weeks, many of the diesel pick up trucks left them idle all night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Many commercial places are like this. Railroads, truckers etc.

FWIW one year we had about -30f for 2 weeks, many of the diesel pick up trucks left them idle all night.
    A good friend worked for Crowley in Prudhoe Bay for a few years. They had a fleet of Ford 6.0 Powerstroke trucks and they never turned them off. They would sit at something like 2500 RPM when not in use because the engines didn't make enough heat at idle speed to stay running. When a storm would come through they'd have to dig the running trucks out with wheel loaders. Interesting stuff.

11. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, sure, diesel trucks. Especially F-250's. Around here, no one turns them off...I suspect even an night they are left idling in people's driveways. There is no greater pleasure than sitting outdoors at an event and having a man - a REAL man - pull up in his F-250 and leave it idling for a couple hours so's we can all hear it and breathe the stinky exhaust.

13. Likes tdmidget, Trboatworks, Meggab liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, sure, diesel trucks. Especially F-250's. Around here, no one turns them off...I suspect even an night they are left idling in people's driveways. There is no greater pleasure than sitting outdoors at an event and having a man - a REAL man - pull up in his F-250 and leave it idling for a couple hours so's we can all hear it and breathe the stinky exhaust.
    Isn't that awesome?

Happens around here all the time.

I just LOVE that.

15. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    exactly

My boiler runs 800 hours a year, it gets serviced once a year, mostly cleaning and a filter change

It has run for 10 years with 2 minor issues that required changing a low dollar part.

that is half a million miles at 60 miles per hour[mental image of my boiler at 60 mph]

We really should not be so impressed with ICE engine longevity

Especially with associated costs

It would be interesting to see what long haul truck companies really get out of their engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most long haul trucks run up to and over a million miles. Not all but a lot. The best life came from the early 2000s befor the ridiculous emissions were put into play before they had the technology to Match the mandatory regulations. Now they are getting the mileage and life back to a extent with better materials in the engines and fuel systems. Detroit advertised what they referred to as engine half life of one million miles on there series 60. Don’t quote me but if I remember it meant 50% would run to a million miles without any major work or something to that matter. We have 3 of these all either close to or over a million miles. One has 1.3 on it head has never been off, never had injectors or any computer issues. Not long haul any more either. That’s very close to 40000 hrs without major repairs. So ice’s are not that bad in my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes digger doug, Scottl, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

200,000 miles is one half billion revolutions at 2500 rpm @ 60 mph.
    Modern cars do pretty good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Um, what kind of logic is that?? You drive 15 hours a day?!
    If you drive 2hr / day = 730 / yr = 7.5 years to get to your 5500 number "

It's a new logic called 'math'. The point is not how much a person actually drives - it's not a people issue.
    Yes and math works for everything.... DUH 365 days in a year, 8760 hours in a year, suppose you could just run a brand new car (or 2 by your numbers!) out in one calendar year by that logic!

edit: you are a dipshit

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Come to think of it, I never smelled them at -30f.

Probably as the exhaust is maybe 250f, it goes straight up thru the -30f surrounding air, into the stratosphere.

Or, because in any temp under -10f, my nose hairs (and boogers.....) freeze.... So maybe I just couldn't smell it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes and math works for everything.... DUH 365 days in a year, 8760 hours in a year, suppose you could just run a brand new car (or 2 by your numbers!) out in one calendar year by that logic!"

I'm gonna assume you wrote your asinine post late at night after you were well drunk and sated with your sister's lovin'. No one could really be as dense otherwise. That is PRECISELY the logic involved, jamoke. A brand new car would last even LESS than one year if driven continuously. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Oh wait...drunk and sister-lovin'. That's right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey ... I resemble that comment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like the way world class trolling brings us all closer as a community. Most of this thread has just been people sharing interesting engine stories. It's nice.

25. Likes eKretz, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes and math works for everything.... DUH 365 days in a year, 8760 hours in a year, suppose you could just run a brand new car (or 2 by your numbers!) out in one calendar year by that logic!"

I'm gonna assume you wrote your asinine post late at night after you were well drunk and sated with your sister's lovin'. No one could really be as dense otherwise. That is PRECISELY the logic involved, jamoke. A brand new car would last even LESS than one year if driven continuously. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Oh wait...drunk and sister-lovin'. That's right.
    Seriously? Suggesting he is guilty of "sister-lovin'" because you don't like his post?