Is there anyone here who builds custom engines? I would like to build a prototype - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's never too early to prepare for April 1.

2. Likes Scottl, Limy Sami, dkmc, JohnEvans, Garwood and 3 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

Be careful what you ask for.

The posts most likely to be deleted are your own. This is a forum for professional machinists and shop owners, and while they can be incredibly tolerant of off topic posts there are limits. Your posts remind me of so many of the “I want to build my own lathe” type that belong on a hobby forum. By your own admission you already wore out your welcome on a boat builders forum and my guess is also a few others.

Well maybe I am a just a go getter with no means to a end. But when my brain is just flooded with ideas and dreams, and they never stop, i am always having ideas, things I want to do, things I want to build, things I want to create and do and own and operate and so on and so on!

I will continually have them as I have since I was young. It will not stop! I am ambitious. And if I do noting, not one thing I dreamed, I basically am wasting my life! I got sever depression from sitting at a bench for the past 15 years building the same darn things over and over! It got so bad and my health got so bad that I almost died! I quit my job, and want to do something else! I went to work for another company after I had gotten better, and it cause me the same issues! I can not do production any longer! I need to create and expand my life! I need to fulfill my dreams!

Here is the boat forum link, this is exactly the same thing Going on here in this forum!

What do I need to design a custom boat?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    It's never too early to prepare for April 1.
    Then you better get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalArtistCandy View Post
    Then you better get started.
    You just beat me to it. And I must admit, it was brilliant.

P.S. Try an Aviation forum. They may bite too. The shapes of the modern fuselages and wings are in a desparate need of improvement. And those jet engines are just junk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MetalArtistCandy,

Do you have engineering skills? If you don't you'll have to hire them and they don't come cheap.

I spent most of my lifetime in engineering, working on all sorts of stuff, including military "stuff". Doing better than the other guys is neither easy or cheap, and the smaller and simpler the product the easier it scales down to one or a few people.

Again, I would advise you to postpone overly ambitious dreams such as competing with existing auto manufacturers and scale back to something more do-able as an individual. Do you have any hobbies? Many entrepreneurs got their start by creating better equipment or add-ons for existing equipment used in their favorite hobby. Always best to stick with what you know because you have the knowledge to critique and test your own prototypes. This has been true for everything from slot cars and paintball guns to bicycles, off-road motorcycles, and other specialty "stuff". If it cures a problem at a reasonable price there's a market for it.

I've lost track of the number of "doodads" sold to hobbyist woodworkers alone. Recreation is BIG business.

7. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay Metal Artist Candy, yes the boys have had a bit of fun, but I will try and make this answer polite and helpful.

You came to a pro machinist site with an idea, ...this site is awash with guys (admittedly many of them old, cynical, grouchy and ornery - like me) who've been round the block more times than you can imagine, and have seen many ideas come and after 000000000000's of $ thrown at them - left to wither on the vine - where they should have remained in the first place.

But some folk just won't take no for an answer and find a shop that will take their money, and basically bleed them dry.

Now, I and most folk on this board, aren't saying ''it can't be done'' but you are talking about playing in a field that every year billions upon billions are spent worldwide, in order to build a better engine, ………...and unless, shall we say, ''you have access'' to some technology that no-one else has developed, ………..when it comes to IC engines, you can be pretty sure it's been tried and done before.

Yes I - and others will agree, certain engines have their problems, as some are just junk, ………….but trying to reinvent the wheel has been proven the wrong way to go about it.

That said, it's you $$ and you are obviously free to do what you like with it, ……...and I wish you every success.

BOTOH, and I'm sure many will agree with me, getting annoyed / the hump / upset / going off on one, when you don't get the answers you want, ….is not the way to get on in this world.

9. Likes Scottl, dkmc, JohnEvans, Ray Behner, Erich and 3 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reason you get the same response everywhere is that you cannot shortcut experience to do things like this. It takes many years of learning and experience to even begin to know what you're doing. The only way tio shortcut such experience is to pay someone else who already has it, which your other boating thread seems to indicate that you are unable to do. No one with any real knowledge or experience is going to spend a serious amount of time to give it away for free when they can be making money instead.

11. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No! Apparently I was not clear enough. My apologies. I want to build and sell trucks! Not make a one off truck for me to drive. If I was going to just build my own truck for me, I would go with the Cummins engine and do exactly what you are saying, except build it from the ground up custom like the Shelby.
    I think ScottL hit it right. We have a 12 year old asking how to build an engine from scratch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    The reason you get the same response everywhere is that you cannot shortcut experience to do things like this. It takes many years of learning and experience to even begin to know what you're doing. The only way tio shortcut such experience is to pay someone else who already has it, which your other boating thread seems to indicate that you are unable to do. No one with any real knowledge or experience is going to spend a serious amount of time to give it away for free when they can be making money instead.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm trying to follow this thread. First you want to build an engine from scratch because the Ford, Chevy and Chrysler engines are crap. Then you want to build a transmission too because they are all crap. I've owned cars and trucks and all sorts of other gas and diesel things from forklifts to tractors to commercial mowers and in this time I have rarely had any transmission problems with any of them.

This forum is for professionals by professionals. Rookies with an idea better have thick skin to play in this sandbox.

15. Likes Ray Behner, Limy Sami, Scottl, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I think ScottL hit it right. We have a 12 year old asking how to build an engine from scratch.
    That old? ……………..are you sure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    That old? ……………..are you sure?
    Just a guess with the help of ScottL's post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of people here are having a good bit of fun, but I'll try to answer this as straightforwardly as I can:

SpaceX revolutionized the launch industry for about 750 million dollars, which was unexpected. I suspect you're looking to do something similar. It could be done.

Spacex's only competition was a government sanctioned monopoly. Spacex was competing against 70s technology.

Spacex serves a VERY limited market.

Light trucks are an extremely competitive segment produced globally.

I know they seem questionable, but the competing products are all engineered to within an inch of their lives.

If you want a rough scale for what you're proposing, look at Rivian. They're not to production yet, and have had to raise 3.3 Billion dollars. With a B.

Tesla was the last new car company to launch in volume and not fail yet. It took them 12 Billion dollars in debt to get there.

I know it seems like you could do it with a CNC machine and a bit of pluck. And you can. But if you actually want to SELL the things in quantity, you're talking in the single digit billions to get started.

If you want to sell a handful of Supertrucks to the wealthy, then that's more of a 50 million dollar endeavour. But most of the low volume supercar makers, like Koenigsegg, use a LOT of off-the-shelf parts, and nobody expects them to be reliable.

Short of the 50 million point? You're not building an engine from scratch that's saleable. The state of the art is just too sophisticated.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    A lot of people here are having a good bit of fun, but I'll try to answer this as straightforwardly as I can:

SpaceX revolutionized the launch industry for about 750 million dollars, which was unexpected. I suspect you're looking to do something similar. It could be done.

Spacex's only competition was a government sanctioned monopoly. Spacex was competing against 70s technology.

Spacex serves a VERY limited market.

Light trucks are an extremely competitive segment produced globally.

I know they seem questionable, but the competing products are all engineered to within an inch of their lives.

If you want a rough scale for what you're proposing, look at Rivian. They're not to production yet, and have had to raise 3.3 Billion dollars. With a B.

Tesla was the last new car company to launch in volume and not fail yet. It took them 12 Billion dollars in debt to get there.

I know it seems like you could do it with a CNC machine and a bit of pluck. And you can. But if you actually want to SELL the things in quantity, you're talking in the single digit billions to get started.

If you want to sell a handful of Supertrucks to the wealthy, then that's more of a 50 million dollar endeavour. But most of the low volume supercar makers, like Koenigsegg, use a LOT of off-the-shelf parts, and nobody expects them to be reliable.

Short of the 50 million point? You're not building an engine from scratch that's saleable. The state of the art is just too sophisticated.
    I appreciate your response. I have talked with a couple big corporations that are willing to help me out. Yet they need a business plan and a prototype. So with my design in mind, I need to build this prototype engine to go with my prototype truck.

So once I get the prototype and the business plan, I can then get other companies on board, with bids, and a manufacturing plan, then at that point I can start getting investors. 👊🏻

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your revolutionary engine is mainly an electronic valve opening mechanism then start prototyping with an existing smaller engine and make a new head for it with your electronic mechanism. That should be easy enough. Then when that works do it on a large engine, prove THAT ONE works and then tackle making the rest of the short block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate your response. I have talked with a couple big corporations that are willing to help me out. Yet they need a business plan and a prototype. So with my design in mind, I need to build this prototype engine to go with my prototype truck.

So once I get the prototype and the business plan, I can then get other companies on board, with bids, and a manufacturing plan, then at that point I can start getting investors. ����
    Question: Who do you expect to pay for the prototype? A new design engine of the scale you are talking about will likely run over $100,000 just for the prototype. Throughout history many of the dreamers have mortgaged their house and put all their other assets into getting off the ground and many failed and went broke for every one who succeeded. I can't think of any real investors who will pony up big bucks without a working proof of concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    If your revolutionary engine is mainly an electronic valve opening mechanism then start prototyping with an existing smaller engine and make a new head for it with your electronic mechanism. That should be easy enough. Then when that works do it on a large engine, prove THAT ONE works and then tackle making the rest of the short block.
    That was the point I was trying to make. I don't know of a single major improvement in engine technology that didn't start with a small-scale prototype that could be easily modified as things were tried and new issues came up.

It's tough enough to do development and testing on a single cylinder prototype without the added complexity of multiples.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's that Greek guy ?

24. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    That was the point I was trying to make. I don't know of a single major improvement in engine technology that didn't start with a small-scale prototype that could be easily modified as things were tried and new issues came up.

It's tough enough to do development and testing on a single cylinder prototype without the added complexity of multiples.
    Completely agree, I almost used lawn mower engine instead of smaller engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Where's that Greek guy ?
    Manolis? He spends time over at the Autosport.com forums, just seen him here on rare occasion.

Something about those Greeks, the person I worked for during the combustion research period was Greek (and about the smartest guy I've ever met). Must be too many stories when they're young about Archimedes and the his ilk...