Is there anyone here who builds custom engines? I would like to build a prototype - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    Were they trying to resurrect the Detroit 8V53 engine? Two cycle with same approx. physical size as the Cat 3208.
    As I think more about those guys, I think it was a V6 not a V8. It was naturally aspirated IIRC- not on the Detroit pattern.

I remembered their name last night- they called themselves "Roda Diesel".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalArtistCandy View Post
    He is dead. Thanks for the idea though.
    Was the plane and/or pics buried with him?

3. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I remembered their name last night- they called themselves "Roda Diesel".
    Seems that there's a regular repair shop under that name, doubt it's the group you speak of. The Spanish (not that there's anything wrong with that) gives it away.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Yes, it's very sad and even more tragic if this individual has NOT sought professional help. I've known a few people who were treated for BP and while some of them were never "normal", under treatment they at least were able to manage and get on with their lives, albeit with some quirks that tend to annoy friends and relatives.
    Pssst...Scott...clean out yur inbox.....tnx

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Seems that there's a regular repair shop under that name, doubt it's the group you speak of. The Spanish (not that there's anything wrong with that) gives it away.
    Yeah, different folks.

Been a lot of years, my recollections are a little fuzzy...might have been Rodi (pronounced roadie or roddie- might be mis-spelled)

Edit: found some chatter. It was a V-4, not a V-6. My memory, lol. 30 years ago...

RODI Power Systems shuts down | Fleet Owner
    Anyone remember an experimatal Class 8 engine from the 90's?? | The Diesel Stop
    https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...21/story2.html

7. Likes Milland, Ziggy2, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Yes, it's very sad and even more tragic if this individual has NOT sought professional help.
    To me, the most interesting part is that many perfectly sane people cannot recognize it even when it becomes absolutely obvious and are trying to give practical suggestions, discuss technical issues and participate in those projects in any other way.

On one of the other forums a seriously ill guy managed to become a know-it-all/done-it-all guru for many years. Working as a copy machine technician, he "knew" everything from machining to aviation, medicine, physics, math, physiology, biochemistry, computers, astronomy, pharmacology, photography, geology... you name it. Moreover, he, presumably, worked in almost all those fields or had a very close connection to them. Even now, long after he left (no time to participate due to extreme involvement in a breakthrough neurophysiology project and deteriorating health), he is remembered as a guru and missed by many. But, at least, occasionally he shared some decent machining tips.

9. Likes plastikdreams liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl;3466096 I went deeper into the thread on the boatbuilding forum and saw several posts by FancyShoes (MetalArtistCandy on PM) that would seem to confirm my suspicions.

[url=http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?233831-What-do-I-need-to-design-a-custom-boat
    What do I need to design a custom boat?[/url]
    OMG, I just went over and read that

Is this not how a 12 year old who has not tried to do anything , ever, thinks?

By the time I was 12 I had built gravity go karts, modified my various bicycles, done some woodwork, and started to have an idea that I was basically working past my limits and needed to learn more.

I still feel that way.

A true genius does not need 6 years of college and 10 years of experience. I think of people like Thomas Edison or Smokey Yunich in that category.

Our friend has no relation to either of those men.

I think my personal disappointment comes from the fact that there are so many smart people on this forum that I had hoped one of them had an interesting idea that I could learn something about

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Pssst...Scott...clean out yur inbox.....tnx
    I thought I did last time someone mentioned it but I think I cleared it this time.

12. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back to the prototype ideas.....

Many tractor pulling engines are essentially custom built, piece by piece.
    Super Stocks, Stock Block

Someone brought me a Cat 3208 motor and needed a valve train built from scratch.
    This motor had the block epoxy filled, hand built cylinder heads, custom ground cam shaft, custom built crank, custom rods, pistons, wrist pins.. ETC..
    Compounded turbos and about 90 PSI of boost.

The valve train went Very well.

So, it is Possible to build a V8 diesel from scratch. Commonly done for inline Diesel or alcohol motors.

IF you know what you are doing and WHAT you want..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Yeah, different folks.

Been a lot of years, my recollections are a little fuzzy...might have been Rodi (pronounced roadie or roddie- might be mis-spelled)

Edit: found some chatter. It was a V-4, not a V-6. My memory, lol. 30 years ago...

RODI Power Systems shuts down | Fleet Owner
    Anyone remember an experimatal Class 8 engine from the 90's?? | The Diesel Stop
    https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...21/story2.html
    Just to add to the intrigue: Charlie B. Bright — “The Story” by Dawn Marcelle

15. Likes jancollc, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    On one of the other forums a seriously ill guy managed to become a know-it-all/done-it-all guru for many years. Working as a copy machine technician, he "knew" everything from machining to aviation, medicine, physics, math, physiology, biochemistry, computers, astronomy, pharmacology, photography, geology... you name it. Moreover, he, presumably, worked in almost all those fields or had a very close connection to them. Even now, long after he left (no time to participate due to extreme involvement in a breakthrough neurophysiology project and deteriorating health), he is remembered as a guru and missed by many. But, at least, occasionally he shared some decent machining tips.
    You mean that walking into a building to fix the copy machine DOES NOT make you an expert on everything they do in that building?
    As a copy guy it was easy for him to become an instant expert on almost any field under the sun.... The list you posted is a good one.

17. Likes MichaelP liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    You mean that walking into a building to fix the copy machine DOES NOT make you an expert on everything they do in that building?
    As a copy guy it was easy for him to become an instant expert on almost any field under the sun.... The list you posted is a good one.
    I work with someone like this....terribly rude, comes in late, hits the company vehicle,
    will not take any suggestions, etc.
    And yes, in his former life, was a copier repair person....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Well, he was obviously just blowing smoke- ‘cause that was prolly before the internet. NOW, they gots YouTube!
    Do you know, you can do brain surgery (even after only one or two videos ! I can show any of you, if you want! I can fix them annoying headaches-!!

By the way, I was watching a video on cement and my brain just fired up on an idea!! I have a new process I just invented for lightweight cement. My uncle’s best friend built an airplane and he told me all about aeronautical engineering. So my idea is a pre cast cement airplane- ( the cement is made with popcorn and we can get a government subsidy)

20. Likes MichaelP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Onepass View Post
    Well, he was obviously just blowing smoke- ‘cause that was prolly before the internet. NOW, they gots YouTube!
    Do you know, you can do brain surgery (even after only one or two videos ! I can show any of you, if you want! I can fix them annoying headaches-!!

By the way, I was watching a video on cement and my brain just fired up on an idea!! I have a new process I just invented for lightweight cement. My uncle’s best friend built an airplane and he told me all about aeronautical engineering. So my idea is a pre cast cement airplane- ( the cement is made with popcorn and we can get a government subsidy)
    I am sure that the leaders of boeing and lockheed are dying to meet with you, airbus as well.
    How to we fellow PMers get in on the ground floor of this earthshattering new development??
    I think someone on here is developing a new engine....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Copier repair....

Once, the big copier went down. They called in the repair guy...I don't know about today but back then they had to wear black slacks, white shirt, and a tie. After some 'easy' fix attempts didn't work, he spread out a big blanket on the floor and began disassembling the machine. There were about 50 different pieces and sub-assemblies laid out.

Peggy, the tall, bird-like lady from Accounting, comes strolling down the hall with a few papers in her hand. She pauses when she sees the blanket, the parts, and the bare frame of the copier, and asks the copier guy, "Oh, is it not working??" After his face said 'Of course not, you stupid-ass!' his mouth said "No, ma'am...."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Onepass View Post

Unfortunately, it is also highly probable that if you did fill out the proper grant paper work for such a project someone in some government office would actually give you the money.

You could likely claim it as some new "Green Sustainable Technology".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Extrodinary, ludicrous, delusional take your pick

In the late 90's I was involved with the design of a 6 cylinder 6 liter diesel that was intended for a rotary wing UAV.

I designed the crank and rods, and part of the cylinder head before I left. We had the advantage that the OP doesn't have of having the ex head of engineering of Lotus cars as our chief engineer. Even then it wasn't smooth sailing. A lot of what we were designing was based on a Toyota diesel, so scaled up and modified for aviation use.

I don't know if it ever ran, although about a year after I left I did see a few of the cranks I designed at Thompson Gundrilling in LA, so some significant parts had been made.

At the time we had talked to several pattern makers capable of making patterns for the crankcases and heads, we talked to casters capable of casting the crankcases (I think they were doing the cases for Keith Black and some cases for a special Nissan engine) we talked to people capable of machining, heat treating and grinding the cranks, Carillo for the rods etc. Other than Carillo I bet none of these companies exist anymore.

The chances of this becoming a reality are 0.0001%

Good luck though, if you have lots of money, there will be lots of people willing to 'help' you with your dream

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My 97 Corolla has 297k on the odometer that stopped recording mileage 2 years ago, with piss poor maintenece it's probably gone 320k miles, and will make 350k, with another oil change

My 1990's Accord went 299k miles before the rear seal went and the tranny slipped to much to drive anymore.

My 1990 Chevy 1500 pickup went 250k miles before I bought another truck. A crate engine is $1500, so not hard to get it to 500k miles.

My F350 with the 7.3 diesel has 187k miles, but by reputation is a 500k-1m engine with good maintenence.

My wifes Lexus will go at least 300k miles with regular maintenece, although she'll crash it before that happens.

So not entirely sure what the op is smoking.

(edit) those are Southern California miles, so no rust, road salt etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Honda just passed 220k without a bit of trouble since new (though now has a emissions computer problem..)
    The engineering on modern engines is fantastic to my mind- these things just run and run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread is like the car wreck you can't look away from and yet I've taken it a step further to look at the OP's profile: engineer apparently.