Is there anyone here who builds custom engines? I would like to build a prototype - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Copier repair....

Once, the big copier went down. They called in the repair guy...I don't know about today but back then they had to wear black slacks, white shirt, and a tie. After some 'easy' fix attempts didn't work, he spread out a big blanket on the floor and began disassembling the machine. There were about 50 different pieces and sub-assemblies laid out.

Peggy, the tall, bird-like lady from Accounting, comes strolling down the hall with a few papers in her hand. She pauses when she sees the blanket, the parts, and the bare frame of the copier, and asks the copier guy, "Oh, is it not working??" After his face said 'Of course not, you stupid-ass!' his mouth said "No, ma'am...."
    20+ years ago in the analogue copier age I worked a few years as a copier tech either side of being a uni student. I had precisely the same situation occur to me, only it was the owner of the company who demanded I reassemble the photocopier immediately so he could copy a single page. I took the page off him and stuck it in the nearby plain paper fax and hit the copy button, then handed the papers back to him without saying a word and went back to work on the copier, ignoring him. I'm convinced the copier design engineers had a four volume set of "Ingenious Mechanisms" on their desks and had bets amongst themselves over which devices they could put in their copiers.

A lot of the personality assessment of copier techs here is painfully accurate too, although the job has that effect: You are visiting lots of angry people each day who somehow think it's your fault their worn out copier picked that day to die at the worst possible moment.

2. Likes dkmc, Ron Hofer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my younger/single/foolish days I decided my '94 Toyota pickup needed a bigger engine. So I found a Chevy 350 to jam in there. But the front suspension was in the way, so that got cut out and I built a link suspension for a straight axle. No kit, everything was built from plate and tube steel (and that probably came from the scrapyard), so I didn't spend much cash and learned a ton. Things like the term "bump steer" have a whole new meaning... I had it together enough to drive around the property before getting older/married/wiser and moving on.

The main lesson I came away with is that those Toyota engineers are smarter than I am. A lot smarter. I plasma cut off their suspension brackets and welded on my own torched and angle grinder hacked monstrosities, and it was about like taking a can of spray paint to the Sistine chapel.

The rusting hulk of the Toyota is still sitting in the tree line, reminding me not to screw up my bone stock diesel F250, which has 260K miles and is going strong.

Suggestion for the OP- for your sanity, start small. Rather than a wood boat, carve a recurve bow. Rather than a whole truck, build a go cart in your garage. Get the satisfaction of seeing it drive, then go bigger.

Or start the next PayPal so you have a billion dollars to start with, also an option....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalArtistCandy View Post
    Hp and torque is not something I have thought of, I just know I want to build a engine that will out last the crappy manufacturing of Dodge, Ford, and chevy. I am tired of driving piece of crap vehicles made over and over from these companies who have been around so long and still have trouble putting out a solid automobile.
    Diesel started to get a bad wrap when all the EPA bs has to be put on them. Cummins 5.9 motor is vuritally bullet proof (P pump motors)

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Copier repair....
    Peggy, the tall, bird-like lady from Accounting, comes strolling down the hall with a few papers in her hand. She pauses when she sees the blanket, the parts, and the bare frame of the copier, and asks the copier guy, "Oh, is it not working??" After his face said 'Of course not, you stupid-ass!' his mouth said "No, ma'am...."
    I wouldn't be able to resist. I would have said "Of course, why do you ask"?? Then have a look around at all the parts, then back at her....maybe say duh.....out loud. Hopefully she'd get the hint. And have a laugh if she had a sense of humor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why isn't he focusing on bigger stuff? Can't one of you guys machine him a billet space capsule to put humans on Mars?

So he's going to spend vast sums of other people's money to prototype his engine conjecture in metal. He isn't even in the right domain. Way back in the 90's we did that using proprietary computer simulations. If there was a new concept or feature that the simulator did not support, it was added. Commercial simulators have now been available for many years. Simulator results mean little without a scholarly peer reviewed paper, authored by people respected in the field.

Meanwhile, back on earth. What has he ever built?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LOTT View Post
    In my younger/single/foolish days I decided my '94 Toyota pickup needed a bigger engine. So I found a Chevy 350 to jam in there. But the front suspension was in the way, so that got cut out and I built a link suspension for a straight axle. No kit, everything was built from plate and tube steel (and that probably came from the scrapyard), so I didn't spend much cash and learned a ton. Things like the term "bump steer" have a whole new meaning... I had it together enough to drive around the property before getting older/married/wiser and moving on.
    One builds and learns.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    If you had to cut it all out why not a big block Chevy, may as well go for the gold.
    Many of us come up building from scrapyard and not quite understanding what we are making. Sorry it did not work out but you did what you could.

Way back "In my younger/single/foolish days" where you not our OP?
    Nobody here has lived that life?

Yes Candy is missing things but I find the huge pile on here rather bad .... and would hope for better among us.
    I do not understand the take off here. Appears many here do not want to do any help but live by "just say no".
    That no is my first gut reaction but I've learned helping others even if I think them going down a a bad path is a more important thing .
    Bob
    (lots of interest in what went wrong with the toy pickup and why not road worthy)

8. Likes AD Design liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Onepass View Post
    Damn.. you guys are so depressing! First there was the guy wanting to build his own lathe. Ya’all rain on his parade. Now, this guy wants to scratch build an engine that his primary criteria is to out-do them half baked, so called engineers that build them there injuns that only last a minute or two in the cars we been driving for the last hunert years! A pox on all of you! I WAS going to let you all in on the ground floor on my new design space ship- I perfected a faster than light drive that is based on the Dorito manufacturing process... not now!!
    Sure, we probably need more info before starting to rain excrement on guys.

However, there are definitely levels of sophistication and ambition in these questions.

"I did custom fabrication of new engines for Cummins for 10 years, and am interested in seeing if I can modify a Model XYZ-10 with a slightly larger bore to get more torque. Any experience advice?". Fairly sophisticated questioner, with perhaps a modestly reasonable question.

"I just got a Harbor Freight 4" lathe and it occurs to me that I could re-create a full-size F-1 rocket engine for automotive use". Unsophisticated questioner, impossibly ambitious goal.

Fabricating a new diesel engine prototype could range from doable (Herr Diesel fabricated his first engine somehow, after all) to infeasible or at least impractical (fabricating a working car or boat engine of sufficient power to actually be competitive with commercial units).

The warnings will cause a sophisticated questioner to reveal more and perhaps to trim back the project. Or get more experience (e.g. buy a smaller Cummins that's in sad shape, and a rebuild kit, and refurb the thing to see how hard the work is. For a nonsophisticated questioner, it should deter them from wasting time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    So he's going to spend vast sums of other people's money to prototype his engine conjecture in metal. He isn't even in the right domain. Way back in the 90's we did that using proprietary computer simulations. If there was a new concept or feature that the simulator did not support, it was added. Commercial simulators have now been available for many years. Simulator results mean little without a scholarly peer reviewed paper, authored by people respected in the field.
    None of that would be a problem if he was ISO 9001...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Yes Candy is missing things but I find the huge pile on here rather bad .... and would hope for better among us.
    I do not understand the take off here. Appears many here do not want to do any help but live by "just say no".
    That no is my first gut reaction but I've learned helping others even if I think them going down a a bad path is a more important thing .
    Bob
    (lots of interest in what went wrong with the toy pickup and why not road worthy)
    Bob, It's great that you've gone full "Care Bear" about our resident artist. Why then don't you take this hopeful under your wing and tutor him/her yourself, rather than tut-tutting about what a bunch of meanies the rest of us are. I've read enough of your posts to know that you've got the range of experience and chops to help this person out.

Or, you could read the previously mentioned posting about our young (?) hopeful's ventures in building a boat, and put two and two together. That's what the rest of us have done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Or, you could read the previously mentioned posting about our young (?) hopeful's ventures in building a boat, and put two and two together. That's what the rest of us have done.
    I did read and did not see any experience with running 150+ on the water....... So rookies and armatures and those opinions are to found everywhere.
    Play this game?
    Bob

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalArtistCandy View Post
    I dont plan to use off the shelf parts on the engine. Most likely on some of the suspension though.

Yes cummins is a nice engine, but dodge transmissions have been prone to failure. Every ford my family has ever owned has also had transmission issues. As well as other things.

Why are some of you aholes when I am trying to do something? Probably because you are a fan boys.

Now I dont want to get into judgements and arguments. i thought this was a mans forum! A machinists forum! Not a bunch of winey ass pricks who seem to want to bitch more than being helpful! If you dont want to contribute to my
    Elmer racing sells their own custom inline-4 for about 150 000 usd and its entirely milled from solid block. Pretty sure they can do anything you design for similar money if they do just the machining according to your CAD files. With their own engine model they have to charge for r&d also..

Now you just have to learn a bit about cad drawing, FEM analysis and fluid dynamics and they will make your super engine in no time.
    (They probably ask also for 100% advance payment if sensible at all)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    True story alert.

I always thought that if you called yourself an "engineer" you had a DEGREE in ENGINEERING......I was wrong.
    You can get Manufacturing Engineer papers with a fair amount of studying, work experience, college courses, and money. Not as efficient as just getting the degree in the first place.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Elmer racing sells their own custom inline-4 for about 150 000 usd and its entirely milled from solid block.
    You can buy a complete Fontana or a Gaerte for forty grand. Donovan was making short-run cast blocks for model B fords not that long ago, I don't know how many they thought they'd sell but couldn't be too many. You can get blocks done for much less than you guys are quoting ... or just weld one up from steel. Or aluminum, I guess. Heads ae not as easy but it does get done.

It's not THAT expensive to make your own engine, model builders do it often enough, but he still has to have a plan. "Better than Ford or Chevvy" isn't gonna cut it for most shops

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One builds and learns.
    If you had to cut it all out why not a big block Chevy, may as well go for the gold.
    Many of us come up building from scrapyard and not quite understanding what we are making. Sorry it did not work out but you did what you could.

Bob

I explained the difference in a previous post. HE does not even know the questions to ask

He is not curious enough to learn about it

LOTT got out the torches and made mistakes, had he come here or to a Toyota truck forum[may have been pre internet] they or we would have guided him through rack height adjustment and other detail to make the vehicle driveable.

See the difference? Initiative, learned skills, seeing through a project. HE did not come to the forum to ask us to deliver a completed vehicle for 10 percent of parts cost.

Many of us have had ideas over the years, and I am sure I am not the only one with silly ideas sticking out of the scrap bin, or buried in piles of old sketches.

We did not come on the forum and say, diesel engines are crap, I know better, now teach me how to prove it.

17. Likes Scottl, dalmatiangirl61, Ron Hofer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One builds and learns.

Bob
    I don't get why you think we are being "hard" on the OP??

I can't speak for anyone else, but if he had come here with a real idea, or even some napkin sketches, maybe he would be being treated 'better'. Look at post 1, 6, & 7. In post 6 he says "maybe I'll call or go down to Cummins and ask them how their prototyping process goes". Ok, sure... And in post 7 he says all the current engines (which have billions and billions of combined miles, and years and years of development) are junk.... but he doesn't have a clue where to even start?

19. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I don't get why you think we are being "hard" on the OP??

I can't speak for anyone else, but if he had come here with a real idea, or even some napkin sketches, maybe he would be being treated 'better'. Look at post 1, 6, & 7. In post 6 he says "maybe I'll call or go down to Cummins and ask them how their prototyping process goes". Ok, sure... And in post 7 he says all the current engines (which have billions and billions of combined miles, and years and years of development) are junk.... but he doesn't have a clue where to even start?
    Worse than that, somehow Bob didn't seem to understand from reading posts on the woodenboat forum that this is a person with quite a history of thinking he can take on projects that would challenge a professional while demonstrating that his own skills are far more limited. In this post from 2011 he said "I would like to build this boat" and showed a picture of a very sophisticated wooden boat that would be considered a master class project.

I would like to build this boat

In this post from 2018 is one of his successful projects. It must be the same FancyShoes because the avatar photo is the same one in the link above.

Very simple Charcuterie board - by FancyShoes @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community

Now for the kicker. In this earlier post from 2018 he mentions failing to get his wood shop up and running and says he is thinking of selling his woodworking machines and “I am thinking about going to metal working since I wont need as many machines”.

In a later post in the same thread he confirms my suspicion that he is aware he has psychological issues but has not sought professional help.

"One of my personality flaws is that I think I need the “best way” possible to do something before I get started. I forget what the technical name for it is. But it exists. I made myself aware of it, because I can examine myself from a 3rd party perspective. It is one thing I am trying to work on, is another reason why I bought such a expensive camera for doing youtube videos."

Thinking about selling my woodworking machines - by FancyShoes @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community

This is tragic! The delusions are getting worse and this poor soul needs to be advised to seek professional treatment that may radically improve his life, not advice fueling the fantasy of designing a multi-cylinder diesel engine AND the truck it goes in with the aim of besting the existing manufacturers.

21. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    Unfortunately, it is also highly probable that if you did fill out the proper grant paper work for such a project someone in some government office would actually give you the money.

You could likely claim it as some new "Green Sustainable Technology".
    I'm guessing you don't have much experience with applying for federal grants...

23. Likes carbonbl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    I'm guessing you don't have much experience with applying for federal grants...
    Moller seems to have it down pat....
    Moller International

Been milking that teat since the early 1980's

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

This is tragic! The delusions are getting worse and this poor soul needs to be advised to seek professional treatment that may radically improve his life, not advice fueling the fantasy of designing a multi-cylinder diesel engine AND the truck it goes in with the aim of besting the existing manufacturers.
    Well . . . looking at it this way, he just lacks the balls to do this with higher stakes and more gravitas combined with massive infusions of other people’s money. Perhaps some discipleship by Elon Musk would set him on a more realistic path?

26. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    Well . . . looking at it this way, he just lacks the balls to do this with higher stakes and more gravitas combined with massive infusions of other people’s money. Perhaps some discipleship by Elon Musk would set him on a more realistic path?
    That is a very poor comparison. While I am very much a critic of some of Elon's current adventures the man has a track record of success.

The 25 Greatest Achievements of Elon Musk

Compare that with our erstwhile poster, who has a string of failures trying to build things way beyond his ability and unhappy work experience.

To spare him further embarrassment I haven't shared all of the links I found. This is not a person who has been successful at much of anything and IMO it is not a lack of balls or even as he thinks, a personality issue. I spent some time following the trail and I am more than ever convinced that this is a person with untreated bipolar syndrome with Grandiosity symptoms.

Grandiosity in Bipolar Disorder

The racing thoughts described in several posts sound identical to what people with BP have described. I have known more than one such and most describe their life prior to treatment (with medications) as being a nightmare of failed ventures and disappointments. Treatment doesn't totally end BP but it usually reduces the severity of symptoms and part of the treatment is learning how to deal with the episodes that occur. None of those I knew used alcohol or caffeine and apparently self-medication (often with marijuana) tends to increase symptoms.

28. Likes rcoope liked this post