Is there anyone here who builds custom engines? I would like to build a prototype - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bad Bob ! Bad ! Go stand in the corner !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For some reason we are assuming a piston gasoline engine. Maybe he means a gas turbine or a steam turbine? That has fewer parts to go wrong so they must be easier to make and keep running, right.
    Bil lD

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    That is a very poor comparison. While I am very much a critic of some of Elon's current adventures the man has a track record of success.

The 25 Greatest Achievements of Elon Musk

Compare that with our erstwhile poster, who has a string of failures trying to build things way beyond his ability and unhappy work experience.

To spare him further embarrassment I haven't shared all of the links I found. This is not a person who has been successful at much of anything and IMO it is not a lack of balls or even as he thinks, a personality issue. I spent some time following the trail and I am more than ever convinced that this is a person with untreated bipolar syndrome with Grandiosity symptoms.

Grandiosity in Bipolar Disorder

The racing thoughts described in several posts sound identical to what people with BP have described. I have known more than one such and most describe their life prior to treatment (with medications) as being a nightmare of failed ventures and disappointments. Treatment doesn't totally end BP but it usually reduces the severity of symptoms and part of the treatment is learning how to deal with the episodes that occur. None of those I knew used alcohol or caffeine and apparently self-medication (often with marijuana) tends to increase symptoms.
    i had a client that had bp disorder, was working, and been so for years , as a, highly payed, development engineer at a very very big electronics company.
    usually worked for some month witout rest while he was manic and got sent home when he was depressed.
    while he was in a manic episode he was of such value to the company that they put up with the down time.
    it ruined up his private life though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    i had a client that had bp disorder, was working, and been so for years , as a, highly payed, development engineer at a very very big electronics company.
    usually worked for some month witout rest while he was manic and got sent home when he was depressed.
    while he was in a manic episode he was of such value to the company that they put up with the down time.
    it ruined up his private life though.
    Much like how the GW people are exploiting a teenager with several mental issues....

EDIT: "Greta the Shun"....
    Last edited by digger doug; 01-01-2020 at 09:07 AM.

5. Likes Scottl, 3t3d, Oldwrench, tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On another forum the OP was frustrated with using a hand planar, all the replies were universally helpfull, rare to see that here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    On another forum the OP was frustrated with using a hand planar, all the replies were universally helpfull, rare to see that here.
    Was the OP on the other forum lazy ?
    And wanting the world to hand them a million dollar design ?

8. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's (many) orders of magnitude between issues of manual technique, and designing and building a new engine and truck. And presumably the person trying to plane was actually working at improving.

10. Likes digger doug, eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And let me express my appreciation for those that are showing concern and trying to help this person. I really hope MAC finds a way through whatever s/he's going through, and that there's a fulfilling future heading their way. It's just that there's some things we're not well equipped to deal with, and this seems to be one.

A complex device, the human mind. Works pretty well most of the time, but when the pendulum is stuck or the throttle's wide open, things can get difficult...

12. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No it's not. If OP had asked a simple question about something within his wheelhouse he would have probably gotten a totally different response. His own defiant responses sort of sent this whole thing out into left field.

14. Likes digger doug, dkmc, gustafson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wanting tips on how to use a hand plane to smooth a cutting board is not the same as asking for tips on how to design and build a state of the art multi-cylinder diesel engine to compete with auto companies, especially from someone who has apparently never even worked with one.

I don't understand why a couple of you don't get it. This person bought a partially completed strip canoe which they couldn't finish, couldn't set up a wood shop after buying a bunch of machines, and then decided they could build a masterpiece of wooden boat design. Now, with little or no metalworking and design experience they have decided they can design, build, and sell a sophisticated diesel truck superior to anything on the market.

Are you people F*****g serious? We're not being mean, we're being honest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    For some reason we are assuming a piston gasoline engine. Maybe he means a gas turbine or a steam turbine? That has fewer parts to go wrong so they must be easier to make and keep running, right.
    Bil lD
    Turbines generally are known for tolerance of poor fit/finish. It's one of their hallmarks.

Why hasn't this thread been locked?

17. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    It's (many) orders of magnitude between issues of manual technique, and designing and building a new engine and truck. And presumably the person trying to plane was actually working at improving.
    The person trying to plane was the same person, and was apparently unable to properly sharpen and adjust the plane even with advice. To think they could build a sophisticated wooden boat is beyond ridiculous, it's delusional on a major level. Now the delusion is designing and building superior diesels and some posters think we should buy into the fantasy.

i don't think the OP is lazy, stupid, or lacks guts. I think he is probably an intelligent person who suffers from a medical condition that interferes with successfully completing projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Those are from the factory, no fun in duplicating what they already sell. Plus kinda big for home use

If'n I just wanted any old engine, it'd be a Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston. But a little large to put in the pickup ... So, back to the original subject, I could see building a small opposed-piston engine. Not "because Ford and Chevy are stupid" but because it would be fun to make something different.

btw, the 149's are nowhere near the biggest GM engines. The 567's are (obviously) much bigger. I think the current version is a 645 ? Digger would know, he's up on this train stuff.

p.s. the 567 blocks are weldments too, so now all our op has to worry about is the heads

Hmm. If you did opposed-piston, there wouldn't be any heads. Use all stock components, all it needs one-off is a block and three liners. Maybe I better start on that 6OP53 engine after all. Or would that be a 3OP106 ?
    I've worked around 16V149's a lot. They are pretty wild in what they can handle for overloading and abuse. I have been in the enclosure with a 16V149TI taking a 1.5 megawatt load for several hours with 4 dead cylinders (dropped valves) and not breaking a sweat doing it. That engine was only rated for 1 megawatt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Bil lD
    I guess you didnt read his posts.

The first sentence of this entire thread: "I am looking to build a diesel engine."

He then goes on to say he wants a Camless/freevalve 7 liter V8 with a turbo.

He also asked what lathe to use for making a crankshaft

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Bad Bob ! Bad ! Go stand in the corner !

YouTube

22. Likes motion guru, Screwmachine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I might have missed it but can you imagine the sticker price of this thing. The new ones are double what my 92 Dodge diesel was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by APD View Post
    He also asked what lathe to use for making a crankshaft
    I know people who can make a finished V-8 crankshaft from solid with a manual lathe and drill press.
    That one part alone is a lifetime of learning.
    Pistons look simple but they are not. Head design is more than any single person can live long enough to get.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Moller seems to have it down pat....
    Moller International

Been milking that teat since the early 1980's
    You'll have to help me out with that one - couldn't find any references to federal funding in any of the news about a defunct air car company.

Success rates on major federal research grants aren't hard to find though..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Happy New Year, everyone! Stay healthy physically and psychologically!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dead-horse1.jpg  

27. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It probably all traces back to the modern philosophy that has become so popular wherein we tell one another in the most encouraging tones that nothing is impossible, that we can accomplish anything we set our minds to, that we should never let anyone tell us that we can't achieve our dreams, and we are beautiful just the way we are. It used to be that you'd only hear that sort of thing in a Massengill commercial but it spread like wildfire over the past 20 or 30 years and now it's everywhere.

I'd type more but I gotta run - heading to Hollywood to start dating Jennifer Aniston and join the NBA.

29. Likes MichaelP liked this post